IGNORED

627yds/par 5. Is this normal?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 4305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I played a course last week with a 630 yd par 5 from the tips.  I think it played 570 from the blues and 525 from the whites.  It was billed as the longest hole in Connecticut.  This was at Oxford Greens.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At 10k ft,you  get winded during your back swing. Someone needs to post that 900 yard par 3 in africa.

I will stand by the assessment that anything under about 650 is reasonable for the modern pro. Now I still think the 300 yard par 3 is a bit much even if it is downhill.

Originally Posted by bwdial

Short course?  That place is 10,000 ft above sea level.  Fighting Joe and The Judge are roughly 9,000 feet closer to sea level.

That place is a pitch and putt.

Definitely on the long side.  Actually have two courses local to me with monster par 5s, first is pretty abnormal being that the course only plays 6600yds

http://www.meadowbrookcountryclub.net/Score_Card_and_Course_Tour.html

It's downhill the whole way so I think big hitters could get there, I get 20yds extra distance on tee shots on this hole.  I've heard of guys getting home in two on this course, but in practice I've never seen anyone even get close.

Second is a new Nicklaus design 9 hole, very tough.  Not sure if this can be done, it's downhill but has a trough startingt at 300 yds or so that then goes uphill to about 350yds, so won't get much additional roll...then you'd be hitting up out of the trough into the green.  I suppose some monster that could carry it 320+ and possibly carry past the trough could do it.  Fairway is quite a bit above the green so second shot, even from 300 out wouldn't be as bad because it would play more like 270 I'd guess.

http://www.westhamgolfclub.com/Westham-Golf-Course_.html

Driver: i15 8* UST Axivcore Red 69S
3w: CB1 15* Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum 75s
5w: G10 18.5* UST V2 HL
3h: HiFli CLK 20* UST V2 Hybrid
4h: 3DX 23* UST V2 Hybrid5i-pw: MX-23 TT Dynalite Gold S300GW/SW: RAC 52*and 56*Putter: SabertoothBag: KingPin

http://www.fossiltrace.com/PC/Scorecard.html

Hole #9, is 659 from the tips, but they usually put the black tees at 626 mark.  For me, it's usually, driver, 4 iron and PW or gap wedge.  A college player I once got paired with hit driver and 3 iron in.  When I play the blue tees, I can get there in two, but not from the tips.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I was told there was some 600+ yard hole in arkansas that played as a par 6. Do these holes you guys are talking about play as a par 6 or par 5?

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

• 2 weeks later...
Originally Posted by Jimdangles

I was told there was some 600+ yard hole in arkansas that played as a par 6. Do these holes you guys are talking about play as a par 6 or par 5?

i live in arkansas and i've not heard of such a hole... there's a 630 yard hole at a course in little rock, but it's still a par 5.

i was looking at the yardages for the upcoming US open earlier - one of the holes was a 520 yard par four. there's also a 670 yard par 5 thrown in, in case that 520 par 4 hole wasn't enough on its own.

The first hole at La Cantera in San Antonio is 666 yards. That seems long for the first hole of a round. The pros played there up until a couple of years ago. Fun hole though

In my bag:

Nike Mach Speed Black

Nike Dymo 3 wood

TaylorMade Burner 3 hybrid

Mizuno MP-53 PW-3

TaylorMade RAC 52, 56, 60

Odyssey Black Series Tour Design

Originally Posted by bwdial

Heck, there courses on the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama that have two 600 yard-plus holes on the front nine.  One of the courses - the Judge - which has three holes measuring over 600 yards.  One of those holes is 711 yards long.

The RTJ Trail does have some long holes, if I remember that hole that's 711 was something like a 260 carry just to reach the fairway from the tee. The Shoals Fighting Joe also has 3 over 600 and 1 that's 716. Highland Oaks has one over 700 and Ross Bridge measures 8191 from the tips and has 3 par 4's over 500 yds. I'm not a big fan of making courses this long, sure these young guys can hit it a mile, but there are other ways to make the course play hard.

• 1 month later...

I have a 607 yard par 5 on my home course. I didn't think the hole was that long until my friend said it was the other day. We played 18 holes and after finishing, we started up the front 9 again playing best ball. To make a long story short, I reached the green in two on the 607 yard par 5. We played my drive and then played my second shot of course, because it was on the green. There is no way I could hit that green in two on a regular round. Playing best ball alleviates the pressure and allows me to play much better. When heading to the next hole my buddy said my first drive must have been around 330 and I said 290. We where arguing about it until he said "you know that hole is over 600 yards long." I was like BS.... But it is over 600 yards, so now I'm wondering just how long of a drive it was, or even how long the second shot must have been. I highly recommend the Burner 2.0 fairway wood lol. Wish I would've measured that drive, it might have been my longest on record, but oh well.

I dug up this old post to brag about hitting the 607 yard green in two, but hey... what-ev. Long par 5's are awesome, the short ones are two easy anyhow.

Sincerely, Jim

I hit a 330 yard drive once or twice on TW PGA Tour 13. Ofcourse it was wind-aided with extra forward spin.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Originally Posted by RonTheSavage

I hit a 330 yard drive once or twice on TW PGA Tour 13. Ofcourse it was wind-aided with extra forward spin.

I hit it 330 once with a 3-wood, playing as Luke Donald.  I have a pretty solid Wii golf fitness regimen, though.  Do you want me to send you contact info for my Wii TW2013 swing coach?

• Upvote 1

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

I hit it 330 once with a 3-wood, playing as Luke Donald.  I have a pretty solid Wii golf fitness regimen, though.  Do you want me to send you contact info for my Wii TW2013 swing coach?

Absolutely hilarious!

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

I hit it 310 as a 22 cap so it doesn't seem unreasonable to me. The fine print would involve the hole being hugely downhill (+40-50 yards is my rough estimate) and the wind was blowing.   Allow me to cut a bit of a dogleg and I bet I could have gotten up to 350.

Originally Posted by joekelly

You da man!   H'cap 27 with 330 yd drive is amazing. Best wishes in new career,

In my home course we have a 603 yd. par 5, but that´s not all folks! 1) A water hazard prevents you from hitting the driver off the tee, 2) There's OB just in the right side of the fairway; 3) 4 cross bunkers were set in the left side of the fairway (obviously with lots of rough); 4) The fairway goes up all the way

I know its putt for doe drive for show, but my main goal is to drive consistently, long and straight. I'm in no way abandoning the rest of the game, but I have most fun with the driver. The first day on the range, never played a round in my life, I hit multiple 255 yard drives that rolled to the back fence of the range. Granted only 1 out of 10 where not 80 yard slices, but I was hitting 255 yard rolling drives that first day. Last week, I hit multiple drives OVER that same 255 yard fence. I used to gps measure all my long drives during rounds, but after recording multiple 300 yarders per round I've stop measuring them. My official long drive is 326 yards with no wind on a level fairway. I think I have hit longer since but don't measure anymore.

I'm brand spanking new to golf and my handicap is going down weekly atm. It's not to crazy that I can hit long drives right away. I was very athletic when younger and played most sports. I'm still working on my swing big time and have yet to tap into the fitness section of the forum. I'm in the worst shape of my life and would like to get some fitness going along with some exercises that will increase my club head speed and over all swing strength. I plan on going a bit further with the driver in due time.

The 607 yard par 5 is my favorite hole on the course by far.

Sincerely, Jim

Doesn't seem unreasonable to me. I play with a guy who is a very avarage player and struggles to break 90 but he can hit a 300 yard drive without breaking into a sweat. However his driving is wild and he routinely has to play his second from the next fairway. If he did hit two good straight shots however he could reach a 600 yard hole in two quite comfortably.

Originally Posted by JP1111

If he did hit two good straight shots however he could reach a 600 yard hole in two quite comfortably.

doubtful.  lets say he really did hit it 310.  so then hes got 290 with a 3 wood from the fairway?  like i said, doubtful.

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4305 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!