IGNORED

Best $27 (or less) ball

Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think the Gamer V2 is comparable to the NXTs and a great ball. Good off the tee and around the greens and they are a bargain.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by TourSpoon

I think the Gamer V2 is comparable to the NXTs and a great ball. Good off the tee and around the greens and they are a bargain.

Can't get them any more around here. I switched to the Penta for a couple boxes, and have a box of ProV1x waiting to put into service, but also like the previous version of B330 S. If the Gamer V2 has morphed into a new ball under another name, can someone please direct me to it?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Can't get them any more around here. I switched to the Penta for a couple boxes, and have a box of ProV1x waiting to put into service, but also like the previous version of B330 S. If the Gamer V2 has morphed into a new ball under another name, can someone please direct me to it?

AFAIK the Gamer v2 hasn't undergone any name changes. I still see it on store shelves out here.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by sean_miller

They seem to be super hard to find in Canada now...dontcha love living in the third world? I bought a 36 ball pack of noodles because I couldn't find gamers anywhere, just lots of permutations of the D2's. Met a guy on the courses yesterday that told me Walmart always has them, I wouldn't know because I never set foot in that place but I might need to bend my moral stance a little if that's where all the V2 gamers have gone...

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...
Originally Posted by sean_miller

Since Callaway sold Top Flite to Dick's Sporting Goods they'll get harder to find, but 6 dozen are $60 on rockbottomgolf.com today.

Originally Posted by tristanhilton85

Try the Gamer V2... $20/dz... I think you'll really like it.

A mid-spin ball with medium flight trajectory. Really like them around the green - I have 85 MPH clubhead speed with driver, and can get these to check up quickly on partial wedge shots. Decent distance on full shots.

A Golf Digest survey of golf balls said Gamers are a midprice ball that feels like a premium ball.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I'm thinking about going back to the V2's.  I've been playing used ProV1x's for about a year now and for some reason I'd like to try something different.  I'm afraid that the drop-off in performance might be too much, in which case I'll either buy the Tour-Z KickX or more used proVs.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

100 mph swing speed and an average of 270 is pretty darn good. Even if that average includes 20 yards of roll, a 250 carry for a 100 mph swing is pure -- especially for an average.

I like the Bridgestone RX and the E-6. E-6 is in your price range. You were going to try them. How'd they work out?

I find them longer than other balls off the tee and I find they roll out a bit more than I like on the greens on full-swing approaches. Near the green I play for rollout so I find them fine. I also like the way they feel off my putter.

Since I buy in bulk, it may be a while before I get through my stash of 2011 RX's. When I do, I'll have a decision as to the next ball being E-6 or RX. And that is without considering price -- just performance.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Originally Posted by Hattrix86

Been playing the 2012 NXT Tour, but the 32 dollar price point is more than I want to be paying per dozen.  I realize I might scrifice a bit of playability by dropping down to a 27 dollar ball, but what I'm looking for is the ball that will cause me to sacrifice the least.  I'm not looking for more distance off the tee, but I'd also not like to lose to much.  I'm at the point of my game where I'm comfortable with everything outside of 100 yards, and really want to master those shots from 100, really 80 yards and in.

So, here is a little about me:

Swing speed off the tee: 99-101mph

Average drive with NXT tour: 270 yrds

Biggest problem: My shots seem to leak to the right at times

I just picked up two sleeves of the Bridgestone e6 to try next time out...

So, what are your recomendations and why?

If you're comfortable with your long game, and want to sharpen your short game, you should be playing better balls not cheaper balls.  You need the urethane cover to get the ball to check up on your approach shots.

I agree that lostgolfballs.com is a good site if you want to get used balls.  I also agree that you should stay away from refurbished balls at all costs....they suck.  Golf Galaxy currently has a sale on Taylor Made TP Blacks (2 for $50).  That's a good deal.  Here's the link: http://www.golfgalaxy.com/TaylorMade-TP-Black-Golf-Balls---12-pack/PAPMICHOMCFADKFG/Product

Lastly, I obviously don't know how you swing, but if you tend to leak drives out to the right, try just moving the ball slightly forward in your stance (1/2" - 1").  Just a thought.

Driver:       Cobra AMP Cell - Blue

Fairway:    TM Rocketballz Stage 2  *17
Hybrids:    Callaway X2 Hot 19* and 22*
Irons:        Mizuno MX-23 5-PW
Wedges:   Cleveland 588  51*, 56*, 60*

Putter:      Scotty Cameron GoLo Customized

Ball:          Srixon Z Star (2013)

Callaway Warbird 2.0

What's In My  Stand Bag

Driver:  FT-iZ 9*

Hybrids: C3 3,4,5

Irons: C3 6-GW

Wedges: C3 58*/8 and 54*/12

Putter:  blade

Ball: Gamer V2

http://cdn.thesandtrap.com/0/0d/150x50px-LL-0d81d772_tst_award_kickstarter_otm.png

I second the Warbird as a good, cheap ball.  Another one I just discovered from getting for free in a tournament -

Wilson 50/50 - at about $1 per ball you can't beat them!

I used to play Gamers, then went to used ProV1x's, and this weekend got a box of Gamer V2's.

Length is not something that concerns me; I am much more interested in consistency.  Having said that, the gamer is definitely longer--I over shot my approach on the first green and my tee shot 2nd, a par 3.  On the par three, a well struck 8iron consistently hit the center of the green but the gamer landed on the back fringe.

My approach shots from 100-180 still stopped close to the pitch marks.  The downside is that pitches and chips rolled out more than the ProVs.  I figure that's something that I can adjust to.  The only problem will be that when I short-side myself I will not be able to stop it, but that doesn't happen often enough to dissuade me from buying the balls.

With rockbottom selling them for $9.99 a dozen, you can't beat it.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I just recently switched to Callaway HX Diablo Tour balls. I played the NXT Tours as well and found this ball to be very comparable in feel and flight. I found one on the course and played the last 8 holes with it. Went and bought a box and haven't looked back since. http://www.golfgalaxy.com/Callaway-HX-Diablo-Tour-Golf-Balls-2011---12-pack/2011HXDIABLOTOUR/Product

The Maxfli U2 at $20 and U3 at $25 did very well in the review.  I didn't see the spin chart in the online version...but in print they were just outside the premium balls (and actually beat a few of them).  Pretty impressive.  I tried the U3 and liked them....but they did seem a little more prone to chaffing/marking.  Personally I prefer the Penta or Pro V "practice" balls at $29.

Since you currently use Titleist balls, why don't you start using the Velocity ($27 a DZ) or DT Solo ($20 a DZ)?

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges - X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird

Note: This thread is 3971 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!