IGNORED

The Best (worst) Spelling and Grammar Errors Thread

dak4n6

On 2/2/2017 at 4:56 PM, iacas said:

Good golly I hate "Nance" and "Jack Nicholas".

I'm sorry. As you can see from the time stamp it was getting close to my bedtime, and I was probably well under the influence by then! I know it's Nantz. But then, spell check gives you the crooked red line under it when you type it that way! And I have NEVER spelled it Nicholas!

I see plenty of spelling errors on this site, but looked for sources farther afield. A real gold mine is the graphics on local news broadcasts. Also home made signs. Or should I say "Ho Made signs!" That's one I saw on the side of the road advertising "Ho Made Fudge". It didn't take a lot of thought to decide that I would NOT be stopping!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just reading the thread on hear about jason days appearance to present the trophy at the players(wearing jeans & a t-shirt),and weather he was being disrespectful or not. Something that hadn't even occurred to me,until i read that thread. As to me i had no problem with it at all.but dress code in golf is something that's a bit of a hot topic here in new zealand at the moment. And im interested to hear other peoples views on it.

We're lucky here in New Zealand that we're 2nd in the world in golf course's per capita. Which means we have lots of courses to play which is great. But also at the moment the number of people playing golf is down. Which is bad news for a lot of the smaller clubs. So golf nz are trying to get most clubs to relax there dress code,to help entice new players. And move golf away from the upper class stereotype,something that i think is great. A lot of clubs use the word smart casual. Which as i said on the other thread can mean 2 completely different things,to 2 different people. But heres my 2 cents worth on it.

Here in new zealand we really have 3 different types of golf clubs,and i do think the dress code should be different at all of the them. As they are different types of clubs.

At most clubs i believe that the dress code would be fine as, polo-shirt,sports t-shirt or plain t-shirt, plain shorts,jeans(as long as theres no rips or holes) or golf pants.  for 95% of courses i play,i believe that would be fine.

For the other 5%,what i would call "the top courses" i think it should be polo shirt, plain shorts,jeans(as long as theres no rips or holes again) or golf/smart pants. But then after your round is finished,i see nothing wrong with putting on a T-shirt long as its not got anything offensive on it or have holes in it.

For me personally i play in shorts and a sports t-shirt at my home club. And then if we go to play a round at the top club in our town,il stick on a polo shirt and shorts. However as we're now entering winter here in the southern hemisphere. I shall be wearing jeans thur the winter(intrested to hear peoples thoughts on this:-D) And a nice warm high neck sports top with a vest/rainjacket.

i do think golf has to relax its dress code a bit, as we live in a different world now then 10,15 or 20 years ago. And a lot of young adults i believe are partly put off  by the dress code.

Maybe we should be more concerned with the English curriculum in New Zealand than dress codes.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/4/2017 at 9:26 PM, Valleygolfer said:

Maybe we should be more concerned with the English curriculum in New Zealand than dress codes.

@Valleygolfer, i get to ding you today on your GolfNow thread (and ding myself a bit)

You created the thread titled "Golf now starting to run it's course?"  

I thought "oh no golf as a sport continues to decline!" Then I realized the topic was GolfNow! :-D

Only later I realized when writing this up that Erik came behind us both and cleaned up "it's" to "its." Duh- I totally missed that!:~(

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

@Valleygolfer, i get to ding you today on your GolfNow thread (and ding myself a bit)

You created the thread titled "Golf now starting to run it's course?"  

I thought "oh no golf as a sport continues to decline!" Then I realized the topic was GolfNow! :-D

Only later I realized when writing this up that Erik came behind us both and cleaned up "it's" to "its." Duh- I totally missed that!:~(

All I know is that I can't fix much on my phone as far as errors go. Although I did type that thinking it's as possessive. Oh well.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, jamo said:

A push cart I can actually understand. A push cart doesn't way much, and you're spreading the weight of the (relatively light) cart and bag over three wheels.

Oh no…

@jamo!

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 minute ago, iacas said:

Oh no…

@jamo!

Oh god. I'm printing this out and bringing it to my doctor. I must have had a stroke! :doh:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I downloaded the Grammarly app, so I don't have issues going forward. Names will be the only butchering coming from my keyboard from now on. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I downloaded the Grammarly app, so I don't have issues going forward. Names will be the only butchering coming from my keyboard from now on. 

I've heard bad things about that and how it interacts with browsers, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Interstaller

Screen Shot 2017-07-06 at 4.59.10 PM.png

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 6/23/2017 at 0:13 PM, kpaulhus said:

The grammar police would have a field day with a sentence ending with "from now on." 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 3 months later...

rider cuup tame kant spel. Gustave Eiffel must be all like WTF, monsieur?

ZV3IaIf.jpg

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• 2 weeks later...

Why grammar matters :doh:

Steve

• 1 month later...

WH press release - yolk of authoritarianism. Does that come with hash browns?

Screen Shot 2017-12-11 at 8.17.32 PM.png

Steve

• 1 month later...

whether/weather

Screen Shot 2018-01-22 at 1.41.57 PM.png

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Rori McIlroy

Steve

• 3 weeks later...

A few weeks ago the local paper ran some articles commemorating the 40th anniversary of the Blizzard of '78. A caption accompanying a picture of a destroyed business sign referenced the "hollowing" wind that did it in. This actually fooled me for a while, wondering what sort of wind a hollowing wind is! I finally realized that they were referring to a howling wind!

This has slopped over to radio. Just today I listened to some screamer talk about the FBI investigation into corruption in college athletics. He repeatedly referenced the 30 to 35 major college basketball programs that could be "implemented" by the results. Not incriminated!

Also, on Fox Sports Radio is some dim bulb named "Bald Creek Ronnie" who does Rock & Roll and historical sound bites for them as filler. On a recent historical sound bite, he talks about how the US withdrew diplomatic recognition from Cuba when Fidel Castro implemented "agragarian" reforms! Not agrarian, agragarian!

In the spirit of Woody Hayes, who would not get angry with the bus driver who got lost on the way to the stadium but the guy who hired him, who the Hell was the Editor on this piece, and how did they let it go forward?! Aren't these people supposed to be professionals?

Gotta watch out for that Bear Trip (pictures bear behind tree, ready to pull on that string, eventually bowling over with laughter as unsuspecting hikers do a faceplant).

Screen Shot 2018-02-20 at 11.06.10 AM.png

Steve