IGNORED

Do you consider Olympic Gold to be as important as a Major?

ApocG10
Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Are the Olympics as important as a Major?

• Yes- The Olympics are the higest level of sport there is.
    • No- Only Majors should be counted when it comes to deciding the best. Olympic Gold should be completely seperate from a golfers Pro career.

FWIW, I voted no. Small, weak field, manufactured historical significance, etc. Plus what 93% of the voters said.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally Posted by jshots

I voted yes, because I think the Olympics is supposed to be the toughest test in any sport.

But it won't be.

Maybe it should, but it won't.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

On top of what I've already written, it wouldn't shock me for golf to be a one-and-done Olympic event.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The level/depth of talent at the Olympics in Golf is going to be far less than what is found in a Major I believe.  Thus, I voted no.

I should have read the replies before voting yes.

A gold will be unique, and really cool.  But they won't be playing against 120 of the best players in the world, they will be playing against the top 5 from each country (or something like that).

Maybe akin to a rider cup victory?

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

Originally Posted by dsc123

I should have read the replies before voting yes.

A gold will be unique, and really cool.  But they won't be playing against 120 of the best players in the world, they will be playing against the top 5 from each country (or something like that).

Maybe akin to a rider cup victory?

I did the math.

According to the OWGR and what was recommended for choosing the Olympic field, about half of the top 50 in the world would be in the tournament, and then about 48 of the top 150. It's supposed to be a field of 60, so only 12 players according to the current owgr would be chosen from outside the top 150 in the world.

On top of that the field would have players from 25 countries (at least from what I counted in the top 150). Although most countries only have 1 or 2 players representing them. The U.S. would have 8 and Eng would have 3, the rest are either 2 or 1.

If you ask me that is a pretty decent field, but you are right that it can't really compete with say the Masters, which invites all of the top 50 in the OWGR.

:whistle:

Originally Posted by jshots

On top of that the field would have players from 25 countries (at least from what I counted in the top 150). Although most countries only have 1 or 2 players representing them. The U.S. would have 8 and Eng would have 3, the rest are either 2 or 1.

In the olympics, there is never one country with more than twice the amount of starters than every other (as far as I know). They will probably limit the amount of players for every country to 4 or 5 or something like that. Then the U.S, UK, Spain, Sweden and so on will have the same amount and there will be some no names from Russia, China and so on.

I think for the player, it's a big deal because you get to experience the Olympics - the opening and closing ceremonies, hang out with other athletes, hear your national anthem if you win, but to me a golf medal is many notches below any major. The Olympics has become this bloated corrupt corporate mess to me. When I think Olympics, I think track and field, gymnastics, swimming, etc... Golf has a long long way to go to gain prestige par with the majors if it does at all.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I think for the player, it's a big deal because you get to experience the Olympics - the opening and closing ceremonies, hang out with other athletes, hear your national anthem if you win, but to me a golf medal is many notches below any major. The Olympics has become this bloated corrupt corporate mess to me. When I think Olympics, I think track and field, gymnastics, swimming, etc... Golf has a long long way to go to gain prestige par with the majors if it does at all.

Good point, the participating golfers get to check off the I was an Olympian box. Besides you get to give the finger to all those who claim golfers aren't athletes:-P.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Originally Posted by allin

Besides you get to give the finger to all those who claim golfers aren't athletes:-P.

Not so sure about that. Curling is an Olympic event, no? I bet many people will say, so what, Curling is a "sport". Not opining about whether or not curling is a sport. Just saying people will use curling as an argument.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by nevets88

Not so sure about that. Curling is an Olympic event, no? I bet many people will say, so what, Curling is a "sport". Not opining about whether or not curling is a sport. Just saying people will use curling as an argument.

Don't forget all of the archery events, shooting events, equestrian events (on behalf of the riders, not the horses - the horses are definitely athletes), sledding events, syncronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, ice dancing, etc, etc.

Originally Posted by nevets88

I think for the player, it's a big deal because you get to experience the Olympics - the opening and closing ceremonies, hang out with other athletes, hear your national anthem if you win...

That is what would make the Olympics special for me.

I agree with those that say the field isn`t going to be as strong as any of the majors, even the Masters which has a much weaker field than the Players.

If strength of field was the only criteria, the Masters wouldn`t be a major.  Getting invited to the Masters is hard, but for a Top 50 player in the World it is easier to win than many other events simply do to the fewer number of total and top 100 players competing (less than 100 total with many of those like amateurs and older past champions outside the Top 300 and not really having much of a chance to win).  Webb Simpson is an example of how keeping the field exclusive has weakened the level of competition at the Masters-  Webb has competed in the Players Championship the last 4 years, 3 of 4 majors in 2011 when he was #2 on the money list, but this year was the first time he competed in the Masters.  Hard to say that inviting him in 2011, when he had won over $1 M before the Masters would not have strengthened the field.  Same in 2012 for not inviting guys like Ernie Els, Karl Pettersson (#10 in Fed Ex Cup with 2 seconds before the Masters and a win the week after it), John Huh (#16 Fed Ex Cup with a win before the Masters)  and Brandon Grace (3 time European Tour winner this year with two coming before the Masters).

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Don't forget all of the archery events, shooting events, equestrian events (on behalf of the riders, not the horses - the horses are definitely athletes), sledding events, syncronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, ice dancing, etc, etc.

What is ice dancing?

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

I think sledding events, synchronized swimming, rythmic gymnastics, and ice dancing all have very good athletes with virtually all the competitors in better shape than the average professional golfer was 20 years ago.  Sure, the back seat guys are just along for the ride in the bobsled, but the start is very important so they usually pick strong and fast guys (think ex track and field, football, etc.) for this and they need a certain amount of coordination also.

Not sure how much swimming you have done, but I doubt most on this board could make it through the routines they do. let alone having the coordination to make it look graceful and fluid.

The last two also require stamina and graceful coordination- I have certainly never seen someone who looks like Colt Knost or Kevin Stadler participating.

Maybe I am just biased because I think golfers are athletes also...

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

What is ice dancing?

just like it sounds- similar to pairs figure skating but with much more footwork instead of the jumping

:mizuno: MP-52 5-PW, :cobra: King Snake 4 i 
:tmade: R11 Driver, 3 W & 5 W, :vokey: 52, 56 & 60 wedges
:seemore: putter

Not sure how much swimming you have done, but I doubt most on this board could make it through the routines they do. let alone having the coordination to make it look graceful and fluid.

Here's a documentary that shows how grueling the preparation can be: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4122944961711350389

Without knowing how the competition is going to be set up, that is too hard to guess.. I doubt the field will be as big or as strong as a major.... BUT.. If a significant number of Top 50 players are there, I would give it more "value" then your average tour stop..  Why?  Golf in the Olympics hasn't been around for over 100 years.. Olympics only happens every 4th year, and there is no guarantee that golf will be around after the Rio games..... I'd take the GOLD if given the chance, and cherish it as much as a major..

I have personally always loved the Olympics. It would be great to play, be part of the environment, etc. With no golf in 100 some years, it doesn't have the tradition like the Master's.

I also think people are underestimating the field. In the top 50 (to 100), there are a lot of countries represented. Obviously the US and GB countries will be the favored. But you have Sweden, South Africa, Australia, Korea, Spain. It will be a fun interesting field. I don't think it will be the likes of a Masters, US Open, Open, PGA Championship. I also enjoy watching the European Tour and we'll get a chance to see some of them competing with the best.

Driver: Taylormade R11 Aldila NV 75

4W: Taylormade R9

3/4H: Taylormade Burner 19* 22*

5-AW: Taylormade RBZ

W: Cleveland Tour Action 588 56* 60*

Putter: Callaway White Ice 2 Ball Lined

I don't believe that many professional athletes put the Olympics ahead of their league accomplishments.

Olympic gold in golf would be pretty cool though, as it would have a major feel to it.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Note: This thread is 4317 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!