IGNORED

What club, that you keep in your bag, do you use the least? And speculate why.

Valleygolfer
Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. What club in your bag do you use the least?

• The Hammer
    • 3 metal
    • 4-5 wood
    • 7 wood/ 3 hybrid
    • 3I
    • 4I
    • 5I
    • 6I
    • 7I
    • 8I
    • 9I
    • PW
    • SW
    • UW
    • LW
    • Putter

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Surprised that I'm the first person to vote "SW."  It's by far my least used club.  I use my 3W/Dr pretty evenly during typical rounds on typical length courses.  I use my long irons (3-5i) a few times a round on long par 3s or short par 5s (assuming a good drive).  My mid-to-short irons get a lot of work during the round.  My GW (52*) is used regularly from 60-110 yards, and my 60* LW is used all areas around the green plus some awkward pitches from 10-50yards from the green.

That's one of the reasons why I am considering dropping my 56* SW in favor of a 5w and using my 52*/60* wedges in the bunkers instead.  My last round I used my SW once, and it was from a long distance (like a 15 yard bunker shot) that I could have used my 52* on.  The round before that, I don't think I used it once.

Yeah, I could have also voted LW (I voted hybrid) for this same reason.  I use my 56 SW for virtually everything within 110 yards of the green and the 60 LW rarely comes out, although I am wanting to start being more versatile.  But that's how it is for now.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5i for me. I typically hit it only from the fairway from 180-185ish, which is a distance I don't usually find myself in. I use the 4i for knockdown shots and short par 4s or it would be used about as often as the 5i.

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

6 iron. Rarely used. Just not at that yardage much. Has been the same my whole golf "career", some 35 years.

Basically this for me as well.  I either find I'm a little long for the distance or a little short.  Almost exclusively due to the course that I play at, the hole is either too long for this as an approach shot or too short to really take advantage of it.  I'll use it on 1 hole depending on where the tees are that day (really long tee box) and that's about it.

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Surprised that I'm the first person to vote "SW."  It's by far my least used club.  I use my 3W/Dr pretty evenly during typical rounds on typical length courses.  I use my long irons (3-5i) a few times a round on long par 3s or short par 5s (assuming a good drive).  My mid-to-short irons get a lot of work during the round.  My GW (52*) is used regularly from 60-110 yards, and my 60* LW is used all areas around the green plus some awkward pitches from 10-50yards from the green.

That's one of the reasons why I am considering dropping my 56* SW in favor of a 5w and using my 52*/60* wedges in the bunkers instead.  My last round I used my SW once, and it was from a long distance (like a 15 yard bunker shot) that I could have used my 52* on.  The round before that, I don't think I used it once.

Make me the second. I'm uncomfortable with the bounce on the sand wedge outside of bunkers, so I'll generally use my gap wedge for every shot from 50-100 yards out.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

I hit my driver on almost all holes where the fairway is wide open and I won't carry it over the turn. I hit my driver 'too' far for most holes where the control isn't good enough to manage. That usually leaves me hitting my hybrid but 3 wood will see about 3 tee shots a round. I hit all my clubs pretty far so my driver, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid are mostly used off the tee. I don't think i have had a hole long enough where I even need my hybrid from the fairway.

Originally Posted by DufnerDip

I hit my driver on almost all holes where the fairway is wide open and I won't carry it over the turn. I hit my driver 'too' far for most holes where the control isn't good enough to manage. That usually leaves me hitting my hybrid but 3 wood will see about 3 tee shots a round. I hit all my clubs pretty far so my driver, 3 wood, and 3 hybrid are mostly used off the tee. I don't think i have had a hole long enough where I even need my hybrid from the fairway.

Dude you need to quit playing only par 3 courses...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Before I changed up my wedges, it was easy...my Gap Wedge. I think I would end up using it once every 5 rounds or so. I was just never at that distance for full shots, and preferred higher lofts around the green.

But lately? After changing up my wedges, I think I would say 5 iron. Might use it once a round or so.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Went for my 3-iron - which is a pity as I seem to get on really well with it when it's called for. Probably use it the least because I use my 2-iron off the tee if I need position/safety/discretion and there aren't any par-3s on my course that need a 3-iron or, as it turns out, many holes that I need it for approach shots etc.

Home Course: Wollaton Park GC, Nottingham, U.K.

Ping G400, 9°, Alta CB 55S | Ping G400, 14°, Alta CB 65S | Adams Pro Dhy 18°, 21°, 24°, KBS Hybrid S | Ping S55 5-PW, TT DGS300 | Vokey 252-08, DGS200 | Vokey 256-10 (bent to 58°), DGS200 | Ping Sigma G Anser, 34" | Vice Pro Plus

Long irons--2(h), 3(h), and 4.  I typically only have 3-4 shots per round that fall into the range requiring one of these shots.  Of the 3 clubs, my 2h is probably used a bit more as it tends to be my go-to for really tight par-4s.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

I carry a 17deg 4W that I rarely use (I don't carry a 3W). I carry 230yd with my 7W and 275yd with my driver and rarely seem to find myself in need of the 250yd shot of the 4W. It probably has to do a lot with the courses I play though. I remember on my trip to Florida I pulled it out a lot more, long holes with huge fairways aren't the norm around here.

This is why I keep the u wedge in the bag. When I need it, it is usually a short par 4 or 3rd shot on a par 5. That means possible birdie. The 2h or 5w I would replace it with wouldn't get more use. I do drop it for a 5w if I know a course has 200+ par 3s, especially if uphill since I can't hit a 3h that far and trying to finesse a little 3w I choke every time.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

Oddly after voting the 5I, I played a new track today and my 5I was perfect for laying up at about 5 holes... Go figure.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Since I don't carry any club that I don't use, I didn't really have an answer in the poll.  While there may be 2 or 3 which are used less often than others, I can't really make that distinction between them.  I use them when it's indicated.  On one round I may only use my 5I once, then the next round I'll use it 6 or 7 times - just depends on the circumstances.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I said 4 iron just because of the distance. I like the 4 iron and hit it decent most of the time.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Note: This thread is 4221 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!