IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by meenman

Even though this is a (proposed) stroke ban and not an equipment ban, I think this would basically ban the belly putter. I dont see how they can be used un-anchored. (probably because I never tried one)

Belly putter use may be more prevalent than any of us realize because it may not be obvious that a golfer is carrying one. Broomstick putters stick out, the belly putters do not unless you are watching someone on the green while you play.

I forget the post, but earlier someone stated that this whole *comment period* was nothing more than the USGA + R+A coming up with ways to fight any proposed arguments against the (proposed) ban and word the ruling to protect themselves against any frivolous lawsuits.

Matt Kuchar uses a belly putter unanchored.  Odyssey has said that they will be offering a couple of putters designed with the loft designed for this stroke.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I forget the post, but earlier someone stated that this whole *comment period* was nothing more than the USGA + R+A coming up with ways to fight any proposed arguments against the (proposed) ban and word the ruling to protect themselves against any frivolous lawsuits.

Why repeat a silly argument for which there is no evidence, just mean-spirited speculation. Do you think you give it credence by doing so?

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

From experience I found the yips to be a case (supported by much research I now gather) of the lower hand subconsiously taking over the brain and forcing the stab referred to above. Before working this out, I tried virtually everything. Simply placing my left hand down still didn't prevent my right taking over with a bit of extra unwanted assistance.

I finally tried putting left handed for short putts. All problems gone except that my two faced putter is a different balance and weight to my original so it took a few weeks to adjust to pace. No need to anchor anything.

Whoever said that was being foolish.  The purpose of a comment period, whether we are talking about USGA/R&A; rules changes or IRS regulations is to see if anyone comes up with a point that the rules/regulations writers hadn't already thought of.   Anyone who thinks that the PGA or PGATour saying they don't like it because it does not convey an advantage, when that had nothing to do with the basis for the rule change, will make the slightest difference to the USGA/R&A; is just fooling themselves.  It has nothing to do with any potential lawsuit, frivolous or otherwise.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Originally Posted by Rulesman

From experience I found the yips to be a case (supported by much research I now gather) of the lower hand subconsiously taking over the brain and forcing the stab referred to above. Before working this out, I tried virtually everything. Simply placing my left hand down still didn't prevent my right taking over with a bit of extra unwanted assistance.

I finally tried putting left handed for short putts. All problems gone except that my two faced putter is a different balance and weight to my original so it took a few weeks to adjust to pace. No need to anchor anything.

Putt left handed ..... now that's something i know he didn't try.

Well maybe it is all in his mind but the belly putter seemed to solve his yips instantly.

He can now go back and thru with a nice and easy tempo.

So maybe he should he should go and seek out the researchers to provide them with another point of view.

Who did the research?

I thought this twitter "battle" between dufner and bradley was pretty funny.  Towards the end Dufner gets on him for anchoring.

http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/03/recapping-epic-jason-dufner-vs-keegan-bradley-twitter-battle.html?sct=hp14

I haven't read this since page 60 or so.  If this has been posted already my apologies!

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I thought this twitter "battle" between dufner and bradley was pretty funny.  Towards the end Dufner gets on him for anchoring. [URL=http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/03/recapping-epic-jason-dufner-vs-keegan-bradley-twitter-battle.html?sct=hp14]http://blogs.golf.com/presstent/2013/03/recapping-epic-jason-dufner-vs-keegan-bradley-twitter-battle.html?sct=hp14[/URL] I haven't read this since page 60 or so.  If this has been posted already my apologies!

I saw this when it happened. The Dufner picture is epic:

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamo View Post

I saw this when it happened. The Dufner picture is epic:

haha!  it really is.  I loved dufner's response:

Quote:

@ Keegan_Bradley man I gotta get that pic off the Internet.

Keegan bowed out after Dufner went to the anchoring:

and since meenman is posting a lot on this tread, this could be considered relevant:

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

I just noticed that this thread is ranked as the #8 most active thread of all time.  About 180 posts until it passes the Stack & Tilt thread.

It would take about 1800 to knock jack vs. tiger out of #4.

Dan

i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff

LOL Yesterday I stopped by my favorite golf shop to pick up some lead tape and asked the guy about long putter sales. They have tanked. Not surprising of course, but it does suggest that most people think that the ban is going to actually be implemented. It also suggests that it is the anchoring, not the use of a long putter per se, which is considered the potential advantage by prospective buyers. Also not surprising but there you have it.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Originally Posted by Chas

LOL

Yesterday I stopped by my favorite golf shop to pick up some lead tape and asked the guy about long putter sales. They have tanked. Not surprising of course, but it does suggest that most people think that the ban is going to actually be implemented. It also suggests that it is the anchoring, not the use of a long putter per se, which is considered the potential advantage by prospective buyers. Also not surprising but there you have it.

We're generally an informed bunch here on this forum but I bet the average golfer believes the putters themselves are what the ban is addressing. So that could be why putter sales have dropped - i.e., the belief the putters themselves will be illegal, not the belief they are only useful when anchored.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

We're generally an informed bunch here on this forum but I bet the average golfer believes the putters themselves are what the ban is addressing. So that could be why putter sales have dropped - i.e., the belief the putters themselves will be illegal, not the belief they are only useful when anchored.

I'm sure this is a small part of it.  But 99% of people who buy long putters buy them so they can anchor them, so regardless of whether or not the putter itself was banned, the sales are going to drop.  Until the ban goes into effect and desperate pros all start trying out Matt Kuchar's style, I think that sales will stay low like that.

I'm sure this is a small part of it.  But 99% of people who buy long putters buy them so they can anchor them, so regardless of whether or not the putter itself was banned, the sales are going to drop.  Until the ban goes into effect and desperate pros all start trying out Matt Kuchar's style, I think that sales will stay low like that.

They will stay low unless there is a resolution. Most people will not shell out $200-$300 for a putter that they fear they will not be able to use in 3 years. Yet the same person will buy 3 $400 drivers in that time period.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Quote:

I had no idea the stats were so high - I thought there was a significant percentage of people who bought long putters just so they wouldn't need to lean over as far when putting.

Bill

I had no idea the stats were so high - I thought there was a significant percentage of people who bought long putters just so they wouldn't need to lean over as far when putting.

Sorry ... that is my number, not actual data that I can back up.  But, in general, people don't lean over that much less with long putters, do they?  Certainly not belly putters ... they have normal putting strokes save for the anchored part.  And even broomstickers generally already have their low hand down low enough to hold a standard length putter, in my opinion.  You take that top hand and drop it down next to the bottom hand and you're not bending over any more than you previously were.

They will stay low unless there is a resolution. Most people will not shell out $200-$300 for a putter that they fear they will not be able to use in 3 years. Yet the same person will buy 3 $400 drivers in that time period.

Let me just say that I never got the whole "I gotta have that new model" thing.  And I never bought into the "a new putter will help turn my game around" thing either.

Quality practice is what makes you better.  That's why, in my opinion, some of these golfers thing they're better with an anchored stroke...they're just practicing more because they feel like they have to since they're learning a new stroke.

As far as the club/putter sales in general, I swear some golfers I've met are as bad as my wife and her Coach purses.

Oh...but she only buys them because of the quality...of course we'll ignore the question that if she WAS buying it for the quality, why would she need to buy a new one before the old one is worn out?

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 2522 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!