IGNORED

Anchored Putters Rules Change (Effective January 1, 2016)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Willie Malay

And what about REALLY anchoring a short putter against your forearm? That is anchoring!

I think what they are after is eliminating the type of stroke where you swing the club from somewhere in the middle (a fulcrum point, if you will) while the end opposite the putter head is anchored against something.  (belly button, chest, chin, etc)

There is no stable pivot point in the type of stroke you are referring to.  It is perhaps "braced" more than a hands only stroke, but its still just attached to your hands and arms only.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

And what about REALLY anchoring a short putter against your forearm? That is anchoring!

No, it's not. You are still free to swing the club without creating a fulcrum. They will have problem with the length of the putter as long as you don't anchor it to your body.

Bill M

Anchored by what? There is no anchoring device just your body. It's not like the thing is strapped(anchored) to you. The thing has been in use for some 40 years? Don't you think it's a bit late to decide the matter now? I think this is dumbest thing. It's all because of one thing.....Tiger isn't winning majors and that is all. Complete agenda bull crap.

R11s driver

R11 3 wood

Glide sole design 5 wood

Cleveland CG16 irons

Vokey SM4 48*, Vokey SM4 52*, Vokey SM4 56* wedges

Yes! Eleanor putter

I think this is dumbest thing. It's all because of one thing.....Tiger isn't winning majors and that is all. Complete agenda bull crap.

It's your assertion that's pure bull.  You are entitled to your opinion, but don't state it as gospel.  Tiger has nothing to do with the USGA or the R & A.  He's still a big draw for the PGA, but this isn't their decision either.  The PGA Tour may have a lobbying interest, but the discussions and decisions are made jointly between the two ruling bodies.  I don't think that the Tour was in favor of the groove change, but it happened just the same.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

A bit off topic here. I bought a belly putter, mostly because it was cheap and well for the time being it's fair game, and I had $75 sitting in my ebay account. No prior long putter experience, just rolled a few balls on the office carpet yesterday after it was delivered. Decided to take it out on the course this morning to check it out. Not sure if it was a fluke but it made a difference, a big difference. Lags were kick in distance, quite a few one putts. If I hadn't hit two balls into the ditch on the first hole it would have been my lowest score on that side of the course this year. Though I switched instructors so my ball striking felt better today as well. I didn't really have an opinion prior to this due to never trying a belly putter. Not sure I do now but if I putt this good again the next few times out it will be evident why there is such a stir. It definitely felt like it was easier to keep the putter in line with the target.

Dave :-)

they should absolutely be banned, but does that mean that even amateurs at home can't use them, or just pros?

might just be me, but i miss 95% of all putts because i lined up improperly, not because i pushed/pulled it due to a poor putting stroke.  i'm a very average golfer, so i think it shouldn't be too tough to learn how to use non-anchored putter for most golfers.  not to mention the very important part of the discussion--that people who use long putters look pretty silly

Anchored by what? There is no anchoring device just your body. It's not like the thing is strapped(anchored) to you. The thing has been in use for some 40 years? Don't you think it's a bit late to decide the matter now? I think this is dumbest thing. It's all because of one thing.....Tiger isn't winning majors and that is all. Complete agenda bull crap.

Tiger? Are you serious? I hardly think the USGA cares who wins Major tournaments.

...dumbest thing, indeed...

And BTW, this isn't anchored?

Please. That is leaving a mark.

Bill M

Originally Posted by Dave2512

A bit off topic here. I bought a belly putter, mostly because it was cheap and well for the time being it's fair game, and I had $75 sitting in my ebay account. No prior long putter experience, just rolled a few balls on the office carpet yesterday after it was delivered. Decided to take it out on the course this morning to check it out. Not sure if it was a fluke but it made a difference, a big difference. Lags were kick in distance, quite a few one putts. If I hadn't hit two balls into the ditch on the first hole it would have been my lowest score on that side of the course this year. Though I switched instructors so my ball striking felt better today as well. I didn't really have an opinion prior to this due to never trying a belly putter. Not sure I do now but if I putt this good again the next few times out it will be evident why there is such a stir. It definitely felt like it was easier to keep the putter in line with the target.

I don't think it's the belly putter so much as just a change.  I've seen it so often in the last 35 years - a friend is struggling with the putter, he buys or borrows a new putter and suddenly he's a world beater.... for 2 or 3 rounds.  Then it's back to the same old problem.  Nobody will ever convince me that anything but understanding the fundamentals of the putting stroke, and falling back on them when things go bad, is the real key to fixing your putting.  I've been there too many times myself to believe anything different.  There is no difference between that and the full swing... fundamentals will trump changing gear, they will trump tips and quick fixes... you always have to go back to the girl you brung to the party, and that is being fundamentally correct in your approach to the golf stroke.  It's a rare person who can have a flawed stroke and still make it work on a consistent basis.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'll never know because I don't intend to stick with the BP, the experiment will be brief. I just bought a new putter last week that I like just fine, was putting good with that too. That said putting isn't my problem.

Dave :-)

Originally Posted by tuffluck

they should absolutely be banned, but does that mean that even amateurs at home can't use them, or just pros?

so again, are they going to be outlawed to just pros or every player?  if it's the latter, will that undertaking be like metal spikes being banned from most golf courses?

I imagine it would be like all other rules in practical terms:

1) If you're an amateur playing a casual round at your local course, you can pretty much use all the illegal equipment you want.  Illegal grooves, 16 clubs, GPS device with barometric pressure and wind information?  Go for it.  But, it's still technically illegal.  Would you be allowed to post that round for handicap purposes?  I am not sure.

2) If you were an amateur playing in a tournament event, you would not be able to use any of that illegal equipment.  This of course assumes that there will be no bifurcation of the rules, which I'm under the impression will not happen.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Quote:

Quote:

so again, are they going to be outlawed to just pros or every player?  if it's the latter, will that undertaking be like metal spikes being banned from most golf courses?

I imagine it would be like all other rules in practical terms:

1) If you're an amateur playing a casual round at your local course, you can pretty much use all the illegal equipment you want.  Illegal grooves, 16 clubs, GPS device with barometric pressure and wind information?  Go for it.  But, it's still technically illegal.  Would you be allowed to post that round for handicap purposes?  I am not sure.

The answer to that is definitely no - all rules of golf must be followed when posting a round for handicapping, including the rules regarding legal and illegal equipment.

• Upvote 1

Bill

Even though I use a broomstick putter and love it, I don't believe in a two-tiered rule system for golf. If the powers that be rule against belly and long putters, they should rule against them for "all" golfers, not just the pros. There should be one set of rules for all and be done with it.

I can NOT wait to see Adam Scott using a short putter - thats gonna make my day !!    No reason for a young able bodied in shape guy to use a broomstick.   Its an unfair advantage IMHO.     OK, I'll go as far as calling it cheating or abusing the rule book.     GOlf will be a better game when these things just fade away and we all have to struggle with the same tool for the job ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Originally Posted by inthehole

I can NOT wait to see Adam Scott using a short putter - thats gonna make my day !!    No reason for a young able bodied in shape guy to use a broomstick.   Its an unfair advantage IMHO.     OK, I'll go as far as calling it cheating or abusing the rule book.     GOlf will be a better game when these things just fade away and we all have to struggle with the same tool for the job ...

Ha, that will be kinda fun to watch. Keegan too! Suck it up kids!

• Upvote 1

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

What I think will be most interesting is to see how the anchored putter guys handle the rule change.  Will they wait until 2016 or make the switch immediately.  Will also be interesting to see how the change affects their scores.  Some guys used a traditional putting stroke first so they will be more comfortable going back to it, but I'd think guys like Bradley will have a tougher time making the switch.

Quote:

Ha, that will be kinda fun to watch. Keegan too! Suck it up kids!

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2510 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!