IGNORED

Ok, Im a convert...the Pro V1 and 1x balls rock!!!!

mailman
Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No thanks. I got tired of paying $4 a ball to watch them hit the middle of the green and spin back off the front. The V1X would probably be a better match but I really see no reason to pay 4 bucks a ball when I'm a double digit handicap. My best rounds have happened playing cheapo Pinnacle Golds. It's much more the indian rather than the arrow.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No thanks. I got tired of paying $4 a ball to watch them hit the middle of the green and spin back off the front. The V1X would probably be a better match but I really see no reason to pay 4 bucks a ball when I'm a double digit handicap. My best rounds have happened playing cheapo Pinnacle Golds. It's much more the indian rather than the arrow.

Got tired of hitting the middle of the green and spinning back to the front of the green?

Originally Posted by JaxBomber17

I've been hitting ProV1s exclusively for about four months now, and I love them. I have a low trajectory, and nothing gets up as quick or gets as high for me as those. Very workable, very long, and they stick to the greens all the way through the bag. As mentioned above, they are pretty pricey, but a local store here in Jax sells ProV1 practice balls for $28/dozen. Same ball, just with "PRACTICE" stamped on the side. I spring for the regulars if I'm playing a tournament, but other than that I play the practice version.

My understanding is that the "PRACTICE" balls have a different compression so they don't go as far. Ranges who buy the practice ball prefer that because sometimes they have limited real estate.

I will say that, when I was marshalling a PGA Tour event, I had access to the PGA Tour practice balls (which have no such markings) and they are the real deal. I admit I took a few of the Bridgestones and ProV's and played with them. So did just about every other guy working the range and putting greens.

Bill M

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

My understanding is that the "PRACTICE" balls have a different compression so they don't go as far. Ranges who buy the practice ball prefer that because sometimes they have limited real estate.

Don't know about other brands, but this isn't true for Titleist:

http://www.titleist.com/customer-service/faqs/18/Golf%20Balls.aspx

From the link:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping . Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. Please refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

From the link:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

2. Pro V1 X-Out golf balls are also conforming products. However, they usually have a cosmetic blemish and/or occasionally have a minor physical defect that should not significantly affect its performance. More often than not, the physical condition causing the ball to be stamped as an X-Out is so minute that it is not recognizable by the player.

Both products may be used in the casual round of golf including those with scores posted for handicaps, and most competitions, with the possible exception of high level competitions invoking the Local Rule requiring balls to be on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. Please refer to the USGA Official Rules on the subject listed below for your reference

I'm just going by what my pro told me about the practice balls on our range (TaylorMade, BTW). Plus, I know that I just don't hit them as far as the brand balls that I buy.

Bill M

Originally Posted by phan52

I'm just going by what my pro told me about the practice balls on our range (TaylorMade, BTW). Plus, I know that I just don't hit them as far as the brand balls that I buy.

Were all the brand name range balls you pocketed shorter or just the ProVs?

Originally Posted by Datsyuk

Were all the brand name range balls you pocketed shorter or just the ProVs?

The ones I got from the range at the PGA Tour event were fine, no difference from balls that I bought. Brand new, and no "practice" markings on them.

Those guys have it made. You should see the food spreads they had for them in the clubhouse.

Bill M

Originally Posted by Missouri Swede

From the link:

1. Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies.

this is what I was told by my club pro when I talked to him about it once. I haven't seen any difference in performance. They spin very well and go just as far as the standard ones, and a good bit farther than the ball I switched from, the Nike PD Soft. Those ballooned like crazy off the clubface and were about as soft as the Titleist DT SoLos. Didn't spin worth a damn.

I'm not going left or right of those trees, ok? I'm going over those trees...with a little draw.

• 2 weeks later...

At my local walmart they sell pro v1's for $10 a dozen..They have been used and some look older than others.I think most have some type of mark on the dimples too.Anybody tried these?I think i will but me a dozen and try them out next time I go in.

Great balls. I was converted to the PentaTP5 though.

In the Ogio Kingpin bag:

Titleist 913 D2 9.5* w/ UST Mamiya ATTAS 3 80 w/ Harrison Shotmaker & Billy Bobs afternarket Hosel Adaptor (get this if you don't have it for your 913)
Wilson Staff Ci-11 4-GW (4I is out of the bag for a hybrid, PW and up were replaced by Edel Wedges)
TaylorMade RBZ 5 & 3 Fairway Woods

Cobra Baffler T-Rail 3 & 4 Hybrids

Edel Forged 48, 52, 56, 60, and 64* wedges (different wedges for different courses)

Seemore Si-4 Black Nickel Putter

• 2 weeks later...

Which other balls perform similarly to ProV1's out there that perhaps dont cost an arm and a leg to buy new?

Saying that, I just picked up 50 ProV1's off eBay for £25 which are actually in pretty good shape. No refurbs or cut balls or overly scuffed ones...so long live eBay, the provider of cheap premium golf balls! :)

BTW, had a round last Saturday and for the first time in my life I finally got a ball to spin back! I knew as soon as I hit it with my 56degree vokey that something was going to happen (because the connection just felt right:) and sure enough, ball lads about 6 feet from the hole and then spins 3 feet back towards it giving me a nice easy one put! I wish I could say I did that on purpose (it was also a very tricky pin position set close to the front of the green!

Up to this point all I had managed was to get balls to sit down as I chipped on to the greens.

God I love ProV1's! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

There are balls that perform like a ProV1 but they cost like a ProV1. If they are cheaper by $10 then they don't play like a ProV1. The premium balls pretty much all are great, but they cost big $$. I need to play a ball with spin around the green as our greens are hard and fast in the June to early September time frame. Once the greens start to soften up I switch to Hex Chrome or Penta TP3. Both these balls are pretty darn good and are a good match if you have a slower swing speed IE 90MPH or less. They have good manners around the greens and spin fairly well into the green with mid and low irons. During the summer I play a ProV1 all most exclusively.

• 9 months later...

Whoa, way to necro a thread.

Anyway, I played a round Friday and found a Pro v1 in the junk on the first hole (don't ask why I was out there) and it was my first time even seeing this mythical ball.  Anyway, I figured I'd use it until I lost it and man... I repeatedly hit that thing further than any other ball I've used all year.  I was hoping it was all mental and I could keep using my cheap-o balls but I have a feeling it was legit...

Pro V1x is my favorite, too, but too expensive for my handicap index .    I don't like Pro V1 as much.   My local course is hilly, and fairway slopes a lot.  The extra spin on Pro V1 sometimes gets me in trouble.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I can honestly say I have NEVER hit a ProV1.  Not even the ones I've found.  Maybe someday I'll give it a try but I've just never wanted to spend that kinda money.  My last round I bought a sleeve of B330-RXS balls to try... loved em and after the round bought a dozen from Amazon.  They had a really nice feel to them.

I've always been told unless your swing speed is that of a tour pro the ProV1 wont do anything for you and you will never see the benefits that its construction can provide, but it seems as though that isn't the case based on this thread if even people with handicaps as high as mine are saying they noticed a difference.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

Note: This thread is 3859 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!