IGNORED

Bode Miller's errant golf drive drills wife in the face

Zeph
Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE]Bode Miller is going to need a much longer shopping list for his wife this holiday season. The alpine skiing Olympic gold medalist accidentally nailed his wife, 25-year-old pro volleyball player and model Morgan (Beck) Miller, with a line drive during a golf outing Wednesday, which as she detailed on Twitter, ended with a very ugly result.[/QUOTE] http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon/2012/12/13/skiing-miller-accident-wife/1767091/ Looks pretty nasty from the pictures. Stay safe out there guys! And try to avoid hitting your wife or girlfriend in the face with a golf ball. [SPOILER=Warning: A bit graphic close up of the eye!] [/SPOILER]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

oh wow, that's way worse looking than I expected.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

My lord.  Where the hell was she standing?  Is she going to be okay?  That looks worse than some boxing matches I've seen.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I hope he at least gave her a signed glove.

In all seriousness, though . . .daaang!  I always marvel at the folks who stand very close on either side of a PGA pro when they're hitting . . watching all those folks around DJ during the infamous waste bunker incident made me cringe.  I am sure it's rare for a pro to miss one so badly but, over the years, I've seen all kinds of shots on TV - including some sh*nks.  How'd you like to catch one of Bubba's drives in the face?

A reminder why I don't let anyone stand in front of me, not even to the side, while I am hitting. Something like this happened at my parents club a few years ago. The guy that was hit lost his eye after a freak shank with a long iron. Following problems with depression and substance abuse sparked by the accident he eventually took his own life.

Dave :-)

I know this was an accident, but the results speak to the heart that the worst act in golf is to hit a golf ball at someone. It just speaks to how even though 99% of the time you don't think you can reach that par 5 in two, wait till they clear the green, that 1% could be that image above. If you don't think yelling 4 isn't important, think of that image. Even if you don't see someone there, and you know your golf ball is going towards another hole, yell 4. You don't have to see the ball heading towards someone to be considerate. With more and more golf courses getting crowded, its more important than ever to be considerate of other people, especially when a golf ball can do that much damage.

• Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Originally Posted by saevel25

I know this was an accident, but the results speak to the heart that the worst act in golf is to hit a golf ball at someone. It just speaks to how even though 99% of the time you don't think you can reach that par 5 in two, wait till they clear the green, that 1% could be that image above. If you don't think yelling 4 isn't important, think of that image. Even if you don't see someone there, and you know your golf ball is going towards another hole, yell 4. You don't have to see the ball heading towards someone to be considerate. With more and more golf courses getting crowded, its more important than ever to be considerate of other people, especially when a golf ball can do that much damage.

I defintely agree with everything you said - but you have to be really close range for something like that to happen.  No way you'd get that kind of injury from 200 yards out.  Nobody should ever hit a ball at somebody else but you don't have to be afraid that's going to happen to you when you play . .just stand well behind whoever is hitting.

According to his account, he tried to avoid hitting a tree, and managed to throw the ball at his wife, who was standing behind it. The ball reached a speed of approximately 160 mph (257 kph), before it came in contact with her face.

Doesn't sound like a tee shot. Either way, you don't stand behind a tree someone is trying not to hit.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

My uncle lost his eye playing golf. He bladed his tee shot, it hit the tee marker about 5 yards in front of him and came back and hit him in the face. One in a million shot!

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Originally Posted by Zeph

Doesn't sound like a tee shot. Either way, you don't stand behind a tree someone is trying not to hit.

If it wasn't a tee shot . .and I agree, it doesn't sound like it was, there was no way the ball speed was 160.  Obviously, it was still fast enough to do damage and ball speed is not the point . .but I couldn't help but notice (and doubt) that speed . .even when I thought it was a drive.

Originally Posted by zipazoid

Uh, he got nowhere near that hole.

im guessing he wont be getting near the other hole any time soon....

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 4120 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!