Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joekelly

Can i play a ball marked 'practice'?

20 posts in this topic

Found a sweet Titleist ProV1x in the bushes near the chipping green. Opposite side was factory marked 'practice'. What a bummer.  But can i use that ball in a tourney?  I know the rules makers dictate only certain balls acceptable but except for 8 small letters, this Titleist is fine.

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

RULES FAQ Rule 5-1 Status of "X-Out" and "Practice" Balls Q. May I use an "x-out" ball or a ball stamped with "Practice" to play a round of golf? A. Our present policy provides that if the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect, a practice or logo ball may be used provided the other markings on the ball (i.e., pole and seam) correspond exactly to a ball listing on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls. Balls labeled with “PRACTICE” or a circled “P”, are essentially treated as a logo ball (such as a Mickey Mouse emblem). A player's name stamped on the ball is also acceptable. However, the original ball markings (i.e., pole and seam markings) must be readable in order for a Rules Official to determine whether that ball is on the List of Conforming Golf Balls. X-Out balls are not permitted to be used in any competition in which the List of Conforming Golf Balls or the One Ball Condition is in effect. However, if neither of these Conditions are in effect, X-Out balls may be used because all balls are presumed to conform unless they have been tested and found not to conform or are obviously non-conforming (e.g., too small or too heavy). (See Decisions 5-1/4 and US/5-1/101).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, but only if you are wearing cargo pants.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

Yes, but only if you are wearing cargo pants.

Hilarious!

You mean I legally changed my name to "Practice" for nothing?

Hate it when that happens...

Assuming by that ruling then that the balls some of us received from titleist marked "test" would definitely be illegal. (I assumed as much)

Found a sweet Titleist ProV1x in the bushes near the chipping green. Opposite side was factory marked 'practice'....

If most of the rest of the range balls at your course are similarly marked, even the cargo shorts may not keep your friends from thinking playing with that one is pretty tacky. Just saying... ;-)

There's more involved here than a tournament's Conditions of Competition. What about the rules at the local course? Some golf clubs I have played at will throw you off the course if they find you playing their range balls during a round.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

There's more involved here than a tournament's Conditions of Competition. What about the rules at the local course? Some golf clubs I have played at will throw you off the course if they find you playing their range balls during a round.

well that concerns stelling private property and not conforming to the clubs practice range rules to leave the balls there.

now range balls are not all on the conforming balls list.

proviwanex balls are, and probably dont come from a clubs range, but a pros stock of personnal practice balls.

There are courses that inspect the ball you are playing?  I know rangers can be a pain in the ass, but I have never seen one drive up and look at the balls in play.

Besides, the Titleist Practice balls in question are not range balls, but just blemished regular balls. I doubt any course would purchase the Titleist Practice balls for their driving range. Too expensive.

why would they be blemished?  i play Penta TP5 balls that are marked PRACTICE - btw $19.99 at Golf Galaxy - and i have never noticed anything amiss cosmetically with these balls.

I took it from the Titleist website:

"Pro V1 Practice golf balls are conforming products that differ only due to a cosmetic blemish such as paint, ink or registration of stamping. Pro V1 Practice golf balls do not have any construction or performance deficiencies."

I didn't check any other ball manufacturers.

Why not go buy a sleeve of good, fresh Titleist balls for a tournament? You found a practice ball and you're going to use it for a tourney? Have fun shooting 93.

Originally Posted by Bastid

Why not go buy a sleeve of good, fresh Titleist balls for a tournament? You found a practice ball and you're going to use it for a tourney? Have fun shooting 93.

His index is 19, so he probably will have fun shooting a 93.  I'm currently an 18.8 and considering that a tournament will probably be on a course with a slope in at least the 120's, which puts the course handicap at 20 or above, I'd probably enjoy shooting a 93.

BTW, nice job of self-awareness.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

Quote:

There are courses that inspect the ball you are playing?  I know rangers can be a pain in the ass, but I have never seen one drive up and look at the balls in play.

Besides, the Titleist Practice balls in question are not range balls, but just blemished regular balls. I doubt any course would purchase the Titleist Practice balls for their driving range. Too expensive.

Not necessarily.  I've played at an upscale resort type course which used Pro V1 practice balls on their range.  I had a good friend who worked at Castle Pines when he was just out of high school, and for the International, they supplied regular Titleist Tour balls for the pros to use on the range.  They didn't even collect them to restock the range - every ball the pros hit in practice was brand new.  He and the other guys who worked there used stock up for years worth of play just by picking up the once hit balls from the range.

Originally Posted by Fourputt

Not necessarily.  I've played at an upscale resort type course which used Pro V1 practice balls on their range.  I had a good friend who worked at Castle Pines when he was just out of high school, and for the International, they supplied regular Titleist Tour balls for the pros to use on the range.  They didn't even collect them to restock the range - every ball the pros hit in practice was brand new.  He and the other guys who worked there used stock up for years worth of play just by picking up the once hit balls from the range.

For the PGA tour events, there will be a number of different branded balls available at the range. After all, we couldn't have Tiger hitting a Titleist or Callaway ball now, could we. But that is hardly the norm for the real world.

Originally Posted by Bastid

it seems like you dont realize that a ball marked PRACTICE usually is the same inside as a regular ball.  thats the case with a Titleist ProV or a TM Penta.

Pro Vs marked PRACTICE are sold at some golf shops. They are not necessarily range balls. My experience with Pro v's is that they are possibly a good ball for really good players or poor players. If you fall in between skill levels and are capable of swing speeds in excess of 90 mph then you will have occasional issues with controlling the spin and find your ball whipping from the center of the green back off the front.