IGNORED

2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Turtle: this is true.  IMO the key to Tiger's success has always been his scrambling and brilliant, creative short game.  It has never been driving accuracy.  I think he has higher expectations of his driving now which can be more frustrating on a day like today than it would have been years ago.

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

I don't think the rough ending from Tiger is a true reflection on his game, he said himself at the end that he lost patience and concentration because if the slow play, I think anyone would do that. He got himself into a great position after 3.5 days so he could finish the job.

Originally Posted by turtleback

Really???  So being 5th in total driving for 2012 and, overall, driving as good or better this week isn't even close to the average players drive?  Seriously?

Don;t you think you are setting the bar a little higher (like about 20 feet) for Tiger than anyone else?  What does he have to do to get his "driver [was even] close to the average player's driver" in your eyes?  Lead the tour in bot distance AND accuracy?

Also, he can't win majors the way he is driving?  Actually he has had several years where he wasn't driving it nearly as well as he is now when he won multiple majors.

2012  Stats don't tell the entire story

Tiger failed on the weekend in 2012 in important tournaments.

Why? Who knows?

GIR seems fairly low  - all the time? Doubt it. It seemed Tiger had very good days and then very bad days - for him.

Do we expect more from Tiger? Yes. With his length this week, he could smooth it out and do less lashing and land in more fairways or be in less trouble. When he smoothed it out with a push draw, he was still long and relatively safe. I think, when he put more juice into his swing, his path and face angle were off. That's only from looking at slo mo of some of his swings regarding path - yep, I'm guessing. I think it's a mental thing with Tiger. When you hear Tiger stories from people in the know, you hear great on the range with driver, but less so on the course. I think he is unable to calm his emotions and gets keyed up. It's his one flaw - his emotions - he is not calm inside - he burns. He is so competitive and expects so much from himself - it's tough for him to deal with less than almost perfect.

He has 75 wins. and 14 majors and mid-30s is usually prime for majors. Too bad he lost 3 prime years. But he's Tiger. If anyone can make them up, he can.

Driving Distance

297.4 35th Tot. Dist. - 39,856 Tot. Drvs. - 134
Driving Accuracy Percentage 63.93% 53rd Fwys Hit - 599 Poss. Fwys - 937
Greens in Regulation Percentage 67.58% 32nd Greens Hit - 815 # Holes - 1,206

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by phan52

Horses for courses. Tiger has 22 of his 75 PGA Tour wins at three tracks. Torrey Pines, Bay Hill and Firestone.

And?  That still leaves 53 wins at other places?

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

The thing that gets me when watching the first three holes of his last round was that even when he had really, really bad tee shots (for a pro) off the first and third holes was that he still had clear approach shots to the greens! You know your game is in a good place when even your really bad shots end up being better than 99.999% of the worlds golfers really, really good shots! :)

Regards

Mailman

Mailman

It seems like the pro's that are using the new Nike woods are struggling with them.  I am not sure why that is, maybe they are still getting used to them? It would be fun if Tiger can make a nice year of it though.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Originally Posted by cipher

It seems like the pro's that are using the new Nike woods are struggling with them.  I am not sure why that is, maybe they are still getting used to them? It would be fun if Tiger can make a nice year of it though.

Tiger is using the old Nike woods.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Tiger makes rough estimate of $6,621.00 every hour of the day so those slow players owe him roughly $10,000.00

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Tiger is using older woods.

Also, Nick Watney who just went over to Nike this year is using all of the new gear and finished T4 this past weekend.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Ah OK,  I thought the color looked the same on the top of the club so I was not sure.  I hope Rory can figure them out quickly, because it would be fun to see him and Tiger go at it this season.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

The guy has 75 PGA Tour wins... And plays a limited schedule every year.  Of course his wins are going to be piling up at the same event when you start hitting those kind of win totals, combined with the way he plays his annual schedule.

It wasn't being critical. Just pointing out the facts. I don't care how limited a schedule he plays, he still has minimum requirements of play on the Tour and it is almost a third of his wins.

Bill M

Ah OK,  I thought the color looked the same on the top of the club so I was not sure.  I hope Rory can figure them out quickly, because it would be fun to see him and Tiger go at it this season.

He'll be fine.  Last year he had a stretch of poor golf sandwiched in between two stretches of amazing golf.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

It wasn't being critical. Just pointing out the facts. I don't care how limited a schedule he plays, he still has minimum requirements of play on the Tour and it is almost a third of his wins.

so whats your point?  is a win not a win?

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

Quote:

so whats your point?  is a win not a win?

Maybe I missed something that you read into his statement, but I took his point to be simply that Tiger plays better at certain courses.  (Almost a third of his total wins have come on 3 courses. Since he's played at more than 9 different courses, that is a disproportionate amount of wins on those 3. Hence he plays better at those 3, for whatever reason.)

Bill

Originally Posted by sacm3bill

Maybe I missed something that you read into his statement, but I took his point to be simply that Tiger plays better at certain courses.  (Almost a third of his total wins have come on 3 courses. Since he's played at more than 9 different courses, that is a disproportionate amount of wins on those 3. Hence he plays better at those 3, for whatever reason.)

I don't think there is anyone arguing... There are courses that I like better than others that I play.  And there are courses that I feel like I can score on better than others too.  Its the same for the tour players.

right.  i guess my point is that his success at a small number of courses doesnt make them any less valid, which is the "tone" that i got from the other poster.

Colin P.

The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.

Kevin

Titleist 910 D3 9.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Titleist 910F 13.5* with ahina 72 X flex
Adams Idea A12 Pro hybrid 18*; 23* with RIP S flex
Titleist 712 AP2 4-9 iron with KBS C-Taper, S+ flex
Titleist Vokey SM wedges 48*, 52*, 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2-ball mallet, center shaft, 34"

Originally Posted by k-troop

The phrase "horses for courses" implies that he's not the best golfer, he's just the best at playing those courses. I'd say that Tiger's 50 or so other wins weakens the argument slightly.

This, this 1000%.  That phrase is exactly why I took exception to the original comment.

Off the top of my head, I think that phrase might fairly apply to somebody like Mark O Meara.  He's had some-odd-teen wins in his career and something like 5 or 6 of them at Pebble Beach.  But not a guy like Tiger.  Unless you are also going to use it for Jack at Augusta, and Sam Snead at wherever that tournament was played that he won 8 times, among others. :)

Note: This thread is 4107 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!