IGNORED

2013 Farmers Insurance Open at Torrey Pines Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Spent the day at the Farmers, and even with the rain all day it was very enjoyable.   Having two courses in use spreads out the crowds, and the rain also kept a lot of people away so it was easy to follow pretty much anyone, including TW (whose swing looked very solid).

One thing I could understand was that Phil and Bones were the only - the only - group not using an umbrella at all.   The rain wasn't hard today but it was a pretty constant sprinkle throughout the day and occasionally harder, but Phil was out there without any protection and looking pretty soaked.   He was wearing Callaway rain gloves on both hands, and the only thought I could have is Callaway enticed him to go without an umbrella to help show how great their gloves are.     It really seemed odd to me - it is a game of looking for the slightest of advantages, and to be the only player on the course not taking an easily available solution towards helping stay dry just didn't make much sense.    Could be this had something to do with him bogeying 17 and 18 to almost miss the cut.

Originally Posted by Clambake

Spent the day at the Farmers, and even with the rain all day it was very enjoyable.   Having two courses in use spreads out the crowds, and the rain also kept a lot of people away so it was easy to follow pretty much anyone, including TW (whose swing looked very solid).

One thing I could understand was that Phil and Bones were the only - the only - group not using an umbrella at all.   The rain wasn't hard today but it was a pretty constant sprinkle throughout the day and occasionally harder, but Phil was out there without any protection and looking pretty soaked.   He was wearing Callaway rain gloves on both hands, and the only thought I could have is Callaway enticed him to go without an umbrella to help show how great their gloves are.     It really seemed odd to me - it is a game of looking for the slightest of advantages, and to be the only player on the course not taking an easily available solution towards helping stay dry just didn't make much sense.    Could be this had something to do with him bogeying 17 and 18 to almost miss the cut.

From the interaction I've had with the folks in Carlsbad - running Callaway's marketing department... I think you are really grasping for straws here.  There is no way Callaway would demand Phil to wear gloves and go without an umbrella.

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This looks like a great tournament to go watch. Doesn't seem to be over-crowded, probably easy to get up close and follow your favorite golfer around without much trouble.

I was wondering the same thing about Phil, (why he wasn't using an umbrella?)  The rain must not have affected him as it would me.

Originally Posted by Beachcomber

From the interaction I've had with the folks in Carlsbad - running Callaway's marketing department... I think you are really grasping for straws here.  There is no way Callaway would demand Phil to wear gloves and go without an umbrella.

I didn't say I believed it, it just seemed the only thought on why he would do this.   They were carrying an umbrella, but just never pulled it out, and Phil was looking pretty soaked.    I'm sure it was just Phil being Phil.   But sheesh, Phil, take advantage of any opportunity to feel more comfortable out there!

What was the temp yesterday in SD?  Rain is one thing, but it didn't look too cold.  It's frickin' freezing here in Mass!

It was curious that Phil didn't use an umbrella.  Mike Weir didn't even have a rain top on.  But he's Canadian, and they pretty hearty up there, ya know!

I like watching the rounds in the rain.  It increases the level of difficulty for these supremely talented players.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Originally Posted by boogielicious

What was the temp yesterday in SD?  Rain is one thing, but it didn't look too cold.  It's frickin' freezing here in Mass!

It was curious that Phil didn't use an umbrella.  Mike Weir didn't even have a rain top on.  But he's Canadian, and they pretty hearty up there, ya know!

I like watching the rounds in the rain.  It increases the level of difficulty for these supremely talented players.

I doubt it was too cold.  Here in Northern California, yesterday was one of the warmer days of the past few weeks and I imagine it was the same in SoCal too.  I believe it was around 60 degrees there.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Clambake

The announcers stated that it was not that uncomfortable of a temp and there was not point to using a umbrella when using the rain gloves. I guess implying that they performed better wet or the only reason to use an umbrella is to keep your hands dry. Hell it has been subzero weather here for 5 days, I could probably play naked in SD with an ice pack on my balls and still be comfortable.

• Upvote 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

The announcers stated that it was not that uncomfortable of a temp and there was not point to using a umbrella when using the rain gloves. I guess implying that they performed better wet or the only reason to use an umbrella is to keep your hands dry. Hell it has been subzero weather here for 5 days, I could probably play naked in SD with an ice pack on my balls and still be comfortable.

Sub zero in northern wi all week as well. Just doesn't seem fair. Maybe we shouuld tax some of there warmth and spread it around. :-P

• Upvote 1

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Originally Posted by boogielicious

I don't know about it increasing the difficulty.  In his book, The Elements of Scoring, Ray Floyd said that for pros, so long as a player has the proper rain gear there isn't much difference with playing in the rain.  And in some cases it actually makes it easier because it makes the fairways and greens easier to hold because they soften up.  He said that the condition that increases difficulty is wind.

Now for most amateurs I agree that it increases the difficulty because a) we may not have the proper rain gear nor a caddie to look after us and help keep out grips dry, and b) most of us do not play in the rain that much because we don't have to, the way the pros do, so there is a lack of experience and familiarity.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Og rain... you so silly! [quote]Farmers Insurance Open. There have been six 30-minute delays, so the earliest competition would now begin is 1:20 p.m. ET. (10:20 a.m. PT). There's a lot of play on tap, too, with 87 players making the cut. They'll be paired in threesomes off both tees at the South, which averaged 73.117 in the second round.[/quote]

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I am just watching to see the infomercial....did you know that the adizero shoes are new and almost every pro is raving about them. Only 10 ounces and are a dream after walking a day on the course... They are so light you feel like you could fly...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Originally Posted by Valleygolfer

I am just watching to see the infomercial....did you know that the adizero shoes are new and almost every pro is raving about them. Only 10 ounces and are a dream after walking a day on the course... They are so light you feel like you could fly...

Was that before or after the ad for stool softener.

In my bag ... 12 year old Balvenie DoubleWood

Note: This thread is 4099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!