Jump to content
cipher

My Swing (cipher)

1,439 posts / 90653 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, iacas said:

Looks fine… but let the wrists hinge a tad more, and feel like the right shoulder is a little bit higher.

Thank you, I will work on that!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

 

Have not really been "working" on anything for a while.  I am pretty much just checking and tweaking a few things in very small ways here or there to gain more consistency.  We pretty much did what I set out to do this year and that was to hit fades, lots of fades.  :drool:  I am not going to try any big changes now before the Newport Cup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Slice of Life said:

Glad to see you're still pounding away. Inspiring me to potentially bust the net out and get back to work on my own swing.

Thank you Ryan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@cipher, that's a lot of golf for a week. The wrist holding up that long is a singular victory of it s own. 

Those courses are very penal on anybody that is short on some consistent match-play practice coming in and IMO can really affect mechanics if you get even a little bit out of sorts.

One thing I would suggest from my own experience is to join a league if possible for some competitive practice. It won't necessarily make you swing better but you will be able to sustain your better swing more in pressure situations.

I played best in the summer when I was playing in my leagues consistently. Have only played sporadic rounds in the last month and a half and it certainly manifested in some poor play as you witnessed. Hopefully I will get some good league play in before season runs out.   

Edited by GolfLug

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you're a little harsh with your putting grade. You made some really nice putts, and too often it seemed like you nailed a 20 footer to halve or win a hole. I knew I felt like I dodged some bullets when you missed mid-range putts that are tough makes in the first place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

37 minutes ago, cipher said:

My wrist held up to 144 holes of golf in six days and so I feel lucky.  It is great to play again and I was able to enjoy playing competitively for the first time ever.

Agree with @GolfLug - this is really the only important takeaway. :beer:

(Also, you should have a "Taught Drew how to throw a frisbee" category, and in that one give yourself an A+!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think you're a little harsh with your putting grade. You made some really nice putts, and too often it seemed like you nailed a 20 footer to halve or win a hole.

I know you're thinking of this one:

C781B239-DF03-4C2E-918B-76AED4871DA8.jpeg

The note says that Nate drained this one on #12 at Talamore (Thursday PM Fourball) in a match against you and Phil.  That got BLUE (Nate/Dave K) to AS on the back nine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

25 minutes ago, GolfLug said:

@cipher, that's a lot of golf for a week. The wrist holding up that long is a singular victory of it s own. 

Those courses are very penal on anybody that is short on some consistent match-play practice coming in and IMO can really affect mechanics if you get even a little bit out of sorts.

One thing I would suggest from my own experience is to join a league if possible for some competitive practice. It won't necessarily make you swing better but you will be able to sustain your better swing more in pressure situations.

I played best in the summer when I was playing in my leagues consistently. Have only played sporadic rounds in the last month and a half and it certainly manifested in some poor play as you witnessed. Hopefully I will get some good league play in before season runs out.   

Very good points V. It is hard for me to do that on a weekly basis with the young kids, but maybe I can play in a few tournaments a year or something as a substitute, and that would help.  

22 minutes ago, DeadMan said:

I think you're a little harsh with your putting grade. You made some really nice putts, and too often it seemed like you nailed a 20 footer to halve or win a hole. I knew I felt like I dodged some bullets when you missed mid-range putts that are tough makes in the first place.

I am not sure a B is too harsh but I get what you are saying.  Maybe it was a B+ or even A- or so.  It could be I just felt it a little lower from watching you make everything.  ;-)

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Agree with @GolfLug - this is really the only important takeaway. :beer:

(Also, you should have a "Taught Drew how to throw a frisbee" category, and in that one give yourself an A+!)

(Taught Drew to Throw a Frisbee: A+) Only problem is he now throws it better than me! 

And yes, I am able to play golf again and that is a HUGE win. :-)

12 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I know you're thinking of this one:

C781B239-DF03-4C2E-918B-76AED4871DA8.jpeg

The note says that Nate drained this one on #12 at Talamore (Thursday PM Fourball) in a match against you and Phil.  That got BLUE (Nate/Dave K) to AS on the back nine.

Neat photo!  I missed seeing that one somehow.  Thanks @RandallT!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, cipher said:

The good news is that I know I can improve these things.  I am confident that I have the ability to do so.  My wrist held up to 144 holes of golf in six days and so I feel lucky.  It is great to play again and I was able to enjoy playing competitively for the first time ever.  Unfortunately as I mentioned the 5 months of being able to play a couple times a week after two years being injured was maybe not enough time to fully prepare me for this tournament but I don’t feel completely embarrassed either.  I helped to earn a few points out there.  The experience was a great one and now I know what I need to focus on going into this next year. 

I was very glad to meet you, and to get the chance to play on Sunday with you.  I'm impressed with the quality of your swing, even during your struggles, I'm certain you'll get it tuned up before long.  It took me a good long while to get back after just one summer with a broken wrist, I can't imagine I'd be as far along as you are if I was out for a couple of years.  Competition is tough, and from everything I heard you did really well holding up to it.  And every one of us who played had  a part in scratching out a very close win.  Stay warm over the winter (it must be starting now) and good luck in the spring! :beer::beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

28 minutes ago, cipher said:

(Taught Drew to Throw a Frisbee: A+) Only problem is he now throws it better than me! 

I think that just means you are a great teacher.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Golfingdad said:

(Also, you should have a "Taught Drew how to throw a frisbee" category, and in that one give yourself an A+!)

I gave myself an A there too. :-) 

Also frisbee is a brand name. We taught you to throw a disc. :-D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

I was very glad to meet you, and to get the chance to play on Sunday with you.  I'm impressed with the quality of your swing, even during your struggles, I'm certain you'll get it tuned up before long.  It took me a good long while to get back after just one summer with a broken wrist, I can't imagine I'd be as far along as you are if I was out for a couple of years.  Competition is tough, and from everything I heard you did really well holding up to it.  And every one of us who played had  a part in scratching out a very close win.  Stay warm over the winter (it must be starting now) and good luck in the spring! :beer::beer:

Snow in the forecast for this weekend. :-( Good news is that there is an indoor golf center by my work now!

1 hour ago, billchao said:

I think that just means you are a great teacher.

Could be!

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

I gave myself an A there too. :-) 

Also frisbee is a brand name. We taught you to throw a disc. :-D

:-)

Edited by cipher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...