IGNORED

My Edel Putter Fitting

Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 8/3/2015, 4:05:20, WillM said:

Everyone on here is making me nervous about the putter I ordered!! I got it in the black finish and you are freaking me out...

I prefer the black finish as well but would be nervous for the same reasons that you were.  I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to go verify the fitting after you get it to make sure it still fit your eye and alignment... I'm curious why they don't have the other finishes at the fitting to ensure a proper fit.  I love the idea of a black finish with white alignment aids - (at least I think it helps me lol). 

____

Different note.  After seeing so many well respected posters on here indicating how much they love their Edel putters, it makes me want to spend the time and money to go get fit.  Like many others, it seems that it would be a decent day of travel involved :-(.  It would take a full day to get it done (which in the long run isn't that bad).

I guess the scary part is feeling like I couldn't commit to being a stupid monkey and let the results speak for themselves during the fitting process.  I like mallet putters; I like alignment help; I like larger grips.   It's almost bad when you know what you like and you THINK you know what works best.  It's really hard to be a stupid monkey when you work hard to convince yourself that what your doing is right and you have committed to what your doing because you BELIEVE it works for you...  I would need to be open minded and accept the fitting process which I think I can do (eventually) but I'm not ready to accept that a blade style, one dot alignment, small round grip putter could actually be better for me.  Until I'm ready to accept that as possible, I can't commit to a fitting.  I need to be 100% committed to believing in the process.

Putting is one of those things.  You have to find what works for you and have the confidence in it.  Results inspire confidence right?  ------  :mad: vs :-D   I need to get out of my own way!!!!! 

:beer:

JP

In the bag:  R1 Diver, Rocketballz 3 tour spoon (13*), Adams A12 pro 18* hybrid, 4-P Callaway Razr x black (dg s400 shafts), 50* & 58* Ping Tour S, and TM Ghost Manta Putter cut down to 32". and my Tour V2 Rangefinder (with extra batteries of course)!  Ball - Srixon Z Star XV

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, JP golf said:

I'm curious why they don't have the other finishes at the fitting to ensure a proper fit

Because that would be hellishly expensive.

And you shouldn't need to convince yourself 100% right now. The fitting will be illuminating.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

Paging @Slice of Life… and soon after that, @Hardspoon. :-)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 3:25 PM, JP golf said:

I prefer the black finish as well but would be nervous for the same reasons that you were.  I was thinking that it wouldn't hurt to go verify the fitting after you get it to make sure it still fit your eye and alignment... I'm curious why they don't have the other finishes at the fitting to ensure a proper fit.  I love the idea of a black finish with white alignment aids - (at least I think it helps me lol). 

The Edel website (https://edelgolf.com/pages/classic-fit) lists 5 "aim modifiers" that they have found influence the way you aim the putter.  Head color isn't one of them.  @iacas can certainly speak to this in more detail, but I think the short version is that, in Edel's view, head color doesn't influence the way you aim, so it is just personal preference.

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2015 at 3:25 PM, JP golf said:

I guess the scary part is feeling like I couldn't commit to being a stupid monkey and let the results speak for themselves during the fitting process.  I like mallet putters; I like alignment help; I like larger grips.   It's almost bad when you know what you like and you THINK you know what works best.  It's really hard to be a stupid monkey when you work hard to convince yourself that what your doing is right and you have committed to what your doing because you BELIEVE it works for you...  I would need to be open minded and accept the fitting process which I think I can do (eventually) but I'm not ready to accept that a blade style, one dot alignment, small round grip putter could actually be better for me.  Until I'm ready to accept that as possible, I can't commit to a fitting.  I need to be 100% committed to believing in the process.

This will be much easier than you think.  I had the same concern going into the fitting (although my preference for putter style was a lot less developed than yours).  The method for adjusting aim and speed is very objective.  It's not just "hit a few putts, and see if you are hitting them online".

You set up to a ball, aim at a target, and a laser is used to confirm where you're ACTUALLY aiming.  For me, it was a few degrees to the right of where I thought I was aiming.  The fitter then uses the five adjustments (hosel, lie angle, head shape, loft and alignment lines) to tweak the putter until you are aiming exactly where you think you are.

At the same time, you "work backwards", aiming at the target and then trying to find a combination that appears "square" when aimed correctly.  Again, this is confirmed with a laser and is not dependent on perception or your putting stroke.

What you end up with is a putter that is objectively better at matching perceived aim to actual aim.  For me, that's going to result in an adjustment period (since I'm used to having to "pull" putts a bit to make up for my misalignment), but I can't see how long-term that match won't help my putting.

The speed control portion of the fitting was a bit more "feel-based", but you still can try dozens of combinations of weights until you find one that works best.  The fitter sort of leaves you on your own for this part (at least mine did), so if you want to take two hours trying different combos of head/shaft weights, you can.

• Upvote 1

- John

Finally got to use it a little bit today...but it was a scramble, so I didn't care as much. With that said, my putts from inside of 5 feet were all made...which is a huge improvement! Pics and a full in-depth review coming soon.

• Upvote 1
Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

• Administrator
13 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

The Edel website (https://edelgolf.com/pages/classic-fit) lists 5 "aim modifiers" that they have found influence the way you aim the putter.  Head color isn't one of them.  @iacas can certainly speak to this in more detail, but I think the short version is that, in Edel's view, head color doesn't influence the way you aim, so it is just personal preference.

Yeah, I don't agree with them on that.

I think color can attract your eye differently, and thus, how you aim.

4 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

Finally got to use it a little bit today...but it was a scramble, so I didn't care as much. With that said, my putts from inside of 5 feet were all made...which is a huge improvement! Pics and a full in-depth review coming soon.

C'mon man! Pics! Pics!

I had a black Odysee before my Edel that I could aim very well. We basically copied the overall shape and alignment lines for my Edel. If I had to guess, color of the clubhead might have some small influence. Color can make an object look smaller or bigger. It can also increase contrast of alignment lines. Which I think might have the bigger influence. 

Black or white on silver doesn't stand out as much as white on black. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

When I get fitted, I am going in with an open mind, but hoping my putter does not come out silver. Id love a black or bronze finish. For some reason I "think" I aim better with a darker color putter. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
48 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

When I get fitted, I am going in with an open mind, but hoping my putter does not come out silver. Id love a black or bronze finish. For some reason I "think" I aim better with a darker color putter. 

There's no fitting for color.

I would advise you to order a silver putter because that's what you'll know you aim perfectly, as that's what they use to fit you.

And don't get Torque Balanced unless you fit it perfectly. Only nine combos of head and hosel.

18 minutes ago, iacas said:

There's no fitting for color.

I would advise you to order a silver putter because that's what you'll know you aim perfectly, as that's what they use to fit you.

And don't get Torque Balanced unless you fit it perfectly. Only nine combos of head and hosel.

Totally.  It makes no sense to me to get something that you think is pretty if it has even the slightest chance of compromising the fit.  Because then what is the point?  Might as well go buy a Scotty off the rack.

14 hours ago, Slice of Life said:

With that said, my putts from inside of 5 feet were all made...which is a huge improvement!

This happened to me too.  And then it got even better because after a few rounds of consistent improvement, the confidence skyrocketed because I "knew" I would make all of those putts and I started making even more.

Hopefully you have the same experience.  (I also am looking forward to the pics) :)

• Administrator

Edel does or at least allows a few things that compromise the fit, IMO.

I have told the story here of someone who came to me with a putter he aimed 4" right of the cup. It was a blade and had a single line on the top. With a single line, he was 4" right of the cup. With a dot, he was an inch right of the cup. With nothing, he was dead center. Every time.

So the things they do that drive me nuts…

• They allow you to add a "sound slot." This is essentially another line, and a big one, that can affect your aim.
  • They allow you to order a black or a gold putter when you were fit for a silver one with black alignment lines. That can affect your aim.
  • They are pushing the Torque Balanced line, and they are a little bit less expensive, but you only have nine combos of head/hosel (which can be tweaked a little by lines/dots), so there is some percentage of people who can't get a proper accurate fitting with limited choices.
  • Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

This happened to me too.  And then it got even better because after a few rounds of consistent improvement, the confidence skyrocketed because I "knew" I would make all of those putts and I started making even more.

I'm still hoping to get my own one day. On a good day, I'm 75% from 4'. I've had rounds where I missed everything from 3-6'. That alone is reason enough for me to get one.

Unfortunately, every time I put a little extra money away, life happens :-(

I aim my current putter 4° right. It is what it is.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, billchao said:

Mess around with it. Cover up the lines. Draw a new line with a dry-erase marker (and then a Sharpie if it helps).

12 minutes ago, billchao said:

I'm still hoping to get my own one day. On a good day, I'm 75% from 4'. I've had rounds where I missed everything from 3-6'. That alone is reason enough for me to get one.

Unfortunately, every time I put a little extra money away, life happens :-(

I was a fair amount right as well with my aim when I got fitted.  Not sure of the degrees, but it was fairly substantial.  Old putter was anser style with one white sight line and Edel is somewhat similar style but with NO lines.

12 minutes ago, iacas said:

Mess around with it. Cover up the lines. Draw a new line with a dry-erase marker (and then a Sharpie if it helps).

I don't know why I never thought to do this, considering I altered the weight of it by gluing nickels to the bottom. I'll have to mess around with this later, thanks.

3 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I was a fair amount right as well with my aim when I got fitted.  Not sure of the degrees, but it was fairly substantial.  Old putter was anser style with one white sight line and Edel is somewhat similar style but with NO lines.

I have a Dead Aim putter so the shape and design elements are kind of limiting, but I'm going to cover up the lines with some electrical tape and see how that affects my aim. If it helps then I'll fill them in with black sharpie or something.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I have a Dead Aim putter…

That's ironic. Or amusing, at least. ;-)

Well I've worked some magic with a company trip to Buffalo and will be visiting @iacas to have the proper fitting done in September. 

I understand the color piece. I wonder why Edel wouldn't provide a black version of their fitting kit for that reason. 

I already know I want to have the pixels, for purpose and aesthetics. I've got my colors picked out....and unless I absolutely have to have the torque balanced putter, I would rather go with their classic line. I'm not a fan of the look of their torque balanced putter, or all the holes in the back of it. 

I'm excessive in most things that I do, and I think the look of this putter below is pure sex. I guess I could still get something like this in silver with black paint fill. The twisted neck shouldn't matter as long as the actual neck is the same as what I am fitted to, right?

Edel.jpg

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I understand the color piece. I wonder why Edel wouldn't provide a black version of their fitting kit for that reason. 

Because one fitting kit costs a few grand. Doing it all again in black…?

I already know I want to have the pixels, for purpose and aesthetics. I've got my colors picked out....and unless I absolutely have to have the torque balanced putter, I would rather go with their classic line. I'm not a fan of the look of their torque balanced putter, or all the holes in the back of it.

We don't even have the TB fitting kit yet. We were supposed to have it in March.

Of 2015.

I'm excessive in most things that I do, and I think the look of this putter below is pure sex. I guess I could still get something like this in silver with black paint fill. The twisted neck shouldn't matter as long as the actual neck is the same as what I am fitted to, right?

Maybe.

But why chance it?

Look, I'll sell you whatever you want. But at the end of the day, their slogan is "#PurposeBuilt" and I take that to be "the putter that helps you shoot the best scores." If your purpose is "to look like pure sex" then that's fine, but… I don't think that's what you want it to be, either.

You could always get your putter and then save up for some "sex" putter down the line… ;-) Though I'm pretty sure your wife will look at you funny when you start cuddling with it on the couch instead of her. :-)

Note: This thread is 2402 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!