IGNORED

2013 Masters Discussion Thread, Update with Tiger's Illegal Drop (Post #343)

iacas
Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by migueldds

Augusta National doesn't have just a huge influence.............................rather , they totally dictate what CBS does .

Remember the banning of Gary McCord when "during the network's coverage in 1994, he remarked that the 17th green was so fast that it seemed to be "bikini-waxed", and that "body bags" were located behind that green for players who missed their approach shots. Augusta National Golf Club, which organizes The Masters, used its influence with CBS to have him removed from The Masters commentary team. While McCord has continued to cover virtually all other golf events aired by CBS, he has yet to return to Augusta with the network".

Most of us watching just thaought it was typical Gary being funny................................but ANGC was NOT amused !

That's the sad part, in that most of us actually do enjoy some light-hearted and humorous commentary. I'd rather hear the quips of Faherty and McCord and laugh once in a while during a golf broadcast. The sad part is that some people would actually rather listen to paint dry, which for me is Nantz, Scott Van Pelt.

I also hear guys at my club talking about the same exact point that migueldds brought up, in regards to Augusta whipping CBS around. This past weekend the guys at my course were talking about Jack Whitaker who was removed in 1966 after calling the gallery a "mob" rather than saying "patrons". Enough of this 1910 theme. Yes, you're in the south and you have that "southern" vibe all around the course obviously. But, it's 2000-and-F'ing-13! At some point, you need to move on with the times.

I love the Masters and look forward to it every year, but DAMN the white jumpsuits and hearing the word "patrons" 75x each day really annoys the hell out of me. Nobody says "patrons" rather than fans, crowd, gallery, etc. anymore. There are some aspects that Augusta really needs to let go of and move on with the times. It's not going to remain this majestic, timeless gem forever. Freshen it up a bit....

• Upvote 1

I don't see anything wrong with tradition and ANCC wanting to preserve it.  This is ANCC's tournament, CBS is there because they make  a lot of money broadcasting it.

The NFL, MLB and NBA all exert their own pressures on the networks to ensure their product is presented in the manner they want it to be.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SamCreamer

Overall an unfortunate scenario for Tiger and for golf fans. Maybe there should be a discussion whether the punishment suited the crime... I mean he dropped it 2 yards back and he was almost DQ`d... seems a bit extreme to me, even though I know they are the long-time standing rules of golf.

What is really sad is what caused the entire incident was a great golf shot that if positioned a inch or so either right or left would have left Tiger in great position for another birdie.  But I heard Tiger himself say a few years back that it takes a little luck to win a major.  Just chalk it up to "rub of the green" I suppose.

Butch

Originally Posted by migueldds

Augusta National doesn't have just a huge influence.............................rather , they totally dictate what CBS does .

Remember the banning of Gary McCord when "during the network's coverage in 1994, he remarked that the 17th green was so fast that it seemed to be "bikini-waxed", and that "body bags" were located behind that green for players who missed their approach shots. Augusta National Golf Club, which organizes The Masters, used its influence with CBS to have him removed from The Masters commentary team. While McCord has continued to cover virtually all other golf events aired by CBS, he has yet to return to Augusta with the network".

Most of us watching just thaought it was typical Gary being funny................................but ANGC was NOT amused !

ANGC did us all a favor.

Bill M

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Rick Martin

Have to agree - I don't like McCord's schtick.  But don't think Augusta National should have a the ability to censor like that -

You want to tell other people they can't say the words "shit" in public at a sporting event, but you also want to say that Augusta can't tell CBS they don't want a certain joker doing their telecast?

Okay...

P.S. Getting rid of McCord was a great move. I wish every other tournament followed suit. McCord hasn't been funny since.... You know, I'm not sure he ever was.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

kind of felt bad for Jason Day.  i think he really played well, couple of bad holes really cost him...love love LOVE his swing, i love how hard he goes after it with the driver and yet hes still in control.

Colin P.

Originally Posted by colin007

kind of felt bad for Jason Day.  i think he really played well, couple of bad holes really cost him...love love LOVE his swing, i love how hard he goes after it with the driver and yet hes still in control.

Agree -  it was fun watching him play. Don't think he did himself any favors by taking on the task for winning one for his country. Was that a source of added pressure, of was it his way of diffusing it between himself, Leishman, and Scott? I'm not sure.

The other Adam Scott on Conan last night: http://teamcoco.com/video/adam-scott-hates

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

.  But I heard Tiger himself say a few years back that it takes a little luck to win a major.

On that point, I can't believe more people aren't mentioning the ridiculous break Adam Scott got on 13 -- much along the lines of Freddy in 92 -- maybe just the fact that he was not leading the golf tournament at that point, but by all accounts he was very, very fortunate that his ball didn't come back into Rae's creek.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

Driver: TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 10.5*, Regular

5 Wood:  TaylorMade Burner 2.0 Superfast, 18*, Regular

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Rescue Mid 4, 22*

Irons:  Nike Slingshot OSS 4-PW

Wedges: Cleveland CG16 Black, 52*, 56*, 60*

Putter:  Nike OZ Black T130, SuperStroke Slim 55

Ball:  Bridgestone e6

Rangefinder:  Callaway Razr

Originally Posted by sixonezero

This is a must-read on the Tiger Drop-Gate:

http://espn.go.com/golf/notebook/_/page/birdiesandbogeys130416/time-closer-look-rules-golf

Not really ... there is nothing new there.

I agree with the article, but also agree that there isn't anything new there.  We who think some of golf's rules (particularly pertaining to scorecard disqualifications) are antiquated and disproportionately punitive are in the minority.  I doubt anything will ever change in that regard.  The purists dig in deep on that one.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Have to agree - I don't like McCord's schtick.  But don't think Augusta National should have a the ability to censor like that -

If ANC allows woods to curse up a storm, spit and kick clubs, they should allow McCord to describe the speed of the greens.

Originally Posted by Ping

Quote:

If ANC allows woods to curse up a storm, spit and kick clubs, they should allow McCord to describe the speed of the greens.

I think TW was pretty much well behaved this past week. I didn't see any bad behavior during this Masters. I bet they talked to him because he was just the opposite at Arnie's tourney and Doral.

• Administrator

Yeah, cuz those are the same. :-P

I think TW was pretty much well behaved this past week. I didn't see any bad behavior during this Masters. I bet they talked to him because he was just the opposite at Arnie's tourney and Doral.

Seriously Rick, you "bet they talked to him?"

I bet they didn't. Not a chance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

There are others who curse and act poorly: reference Henrik Stenson 2012.

They did spend a good chunk of time in 2010 lacing him for his transgressions in a formal press conference to the media prior to the tournament.  Personally, I think Tiger's private life has no place in what he does as a "golfer" and I didn't see the need for a formal press conference when he's there to play golf.  But it happened and Tiger had no choice but to take it which he did.

The point is, I don't think Augusta shy's away from speaking to Tiger or anyone else for that matter if they felt like they "needed" to.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

I'ld take that bet in a heartbeat.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4023 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!