• Announcements

    • iacas

      GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Contest   09/22/2016

      Join our GAME GOLF Ryder Cup Challenge to win an autographed GAME GOLF, a Pebble Steel watch, and many more great prizes!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
onephenom

What are the most noticeably bad practicing techniques? (hope from other players)

29 posts in this topic

Just like the title says...

personally, there are 2 things that bug me.

1. People who bring driver and 7i (sometimes just one of those) and bang balls for 30 minutes

2. People who go to the practice green and practice chipping from 1 foot off the green to a tight pin... a shot that hardly ever happens for most people. Why not practice from 20 feet away? Practice pitches, soft shots, etc. People just practice the easy chips.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

If the purpose of the practice session is to work on driver, why would you bring anything else? Well, except for maybe a short iron to help loosen up...... ;-)
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think you guys all need to take a break.  With a list of things piling up that irritates ya'll, I don't see how anyone makes it through the day without exploding.

To each their own, but nothing anyone else does on the range bothers me unless they are being over the top obnoxious.  As far as what they are doing with their practice time, I couldn't care less.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I think you guys all need to take a break.  With a list of things piling up that irritates ya'll, I don't see how anyone makes it through the day without exploding.

To each their own, but nothing anyone else does on the range bothers me unless they are being over the top obnoxious.  As far as what they are doing with their practice time, I couldn't care less.

Didn't say anything about techniques that are irritating, or exploding. Just bad practice methods that are noticeable.

Not sure who needs to take a break... not a lot of complaining on TST, just healthy debates/discussions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oftentimes I will bring just one club to the range. I tried out three different 3w this winter. It may have looked like a practice session to a casual observer but they weren't. You might cut short-chipper guy some slack, many people don't practice their short game at all.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

1. People who bring driver and 7i (sometimes just one of those) and bang balls for 30 minutes

Sometimes it's not "practice".  Sometimes, I just want to crack my driver over and over because it's fun.  I like my driver.....I like my fairway woods.....

Practice 1st half:  randomly hit all the clubs for the first half bucket - combine half and three quarter swings.  If I'm 'feeling it' I'll play with up/down lofting clubs, low punches, shaping (draw has been easier than cut lately, wierd...) etc....those are fun times when they are working.

I also mix in 20, 30, 40 yard wedge shots in between irons and woods for the rest.  I need to really start writing it down now, I'm getting more consistent lately.

If something is not hitting right (today it was my 4i - I don't know why) - I'll hit the crap out of it until I get it figured out.  Then I'll hit 3 or 4 shots from a couple other clubs and then come back to it to see if it takes.

Last half:  I usually end the session by mentally playing shots from a local course, and picking my following club based on the flight of the previous shot - pretend round).  Picking shots in my head, shapes i'm looking for.  If I duff a drive, I choose a longer next club,......  If the pretend approach is not straight, I might just hit a pretend 30 yard pitch or flop....etc etc etc.  The front 9, or the full 18....  So pretend I'm hitting regulation, that's the last  (71 - 36 putts = ) 35 balls in the bucket....  Or last 15 minutes of the time...

Today I REALLY duffed the pretend 5i tee on the par 3 #2.  Sucked, I had to practice a long chip to get out of trouble.  Same thing on my 2nd shot on the par 5 #9.  I was hoping to reach the green in 2, instead, I had to pretend to recover with a pretty nicely hit 6i shot - pretend games also kind of lend themselves to playing it smart.

is that ok?

the other thought is,,,, maybe that player is working on something specific or cool that you might not know about.  It might be fun to ask and make a new friend and learn something.....being curious is always a better attitude than being irritable...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by onephenom

Didn't say anything about techniques that are irritating, or exploding. Just bad practice methods that are noticeable.

Not sure who needs to take a break... not a lot of complaining on TST, just healthy debates/discussions.


lol, I am not saying just you. I could probably bring up 10+ threads of people posting things about Golfers/Golf that irritate them.  I simply don't understand how a lot of people can enjoy golf if so many things about it irritate them.  Slow play, a partner talking to much, bad practice habits, etc.  just to name a few I've seen recently.

I think the biggest thing to consider is that a lot of people go to the driving range to beat balls with a driver.  Not everyone is as focused on improving their game in the same manner most people on TST.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by rehmwa

It might be fun to ask and make a new friend and learn something.....being curious is always a better attitude than being irritable...

Rehmwa is a dork - I really get irritated by strangers asking me questions while I practice.....

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

.....being curious is always a better attitude than being irritable...

If only dead cats could talk...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by onephenom

Didn't say anything about techniques that are irritating, or exploding. Just bad practice methods that are noticeable.

Not sure who needs to take a break... not a lot of complaining on TST, just healthy debates/discussions.

To be fair to Slover, you did say "bug me"...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by 14ledo81

To be fair to Slover, you did say "bug me"...

I didn't say "bug me" anywhere, you are confusing me with the OP :)  But the "bug me" is what I picked up on and referenced to being irritated.

There are bad practice techniques out there if people are truly trying to get better.   Obviously, going to the range and machine gunning 200 balls isn't a good idea if you want to improve.  But since I don't know the goals of those other people, I generally let it be.  Most people I encounter at the range are just there to beat some balls.  I encounter very few people who truly use range time to practice in what most would consider a proper manner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm pretty sure I'm the most annoying guy when I practice in public. I get strange looks setting up my iphone and alignment rods. Walking to and from balls working on routine. Taking partial swings, working on the takeaway over and over. I'm there an hour and walk away leaving a half empty small bucket after hitting 15 balls. Pack it all up and leave. I can't think of any other reason nobody comes near me on the range. But yeah given my horrendous index something is amiss.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by SloverUT

I didn't say "bug me" anywhere, you are confusing me with the OP :)  But the "bug me" is what I picked up on and referenced to being irritated.

There are bad practice techniques out there if people are truly trying to get better.   Obviously, going to the range and machine gunning 200 balls isn't a good idea if you want to improve.  But since I don't know the goals of those other people, I generally let it be.  Most people I encounter at the range are just there to beat some balls.  I encounter very few people who truly use range time to practice in what most would consider a proper manner.

He was talking to me, the you was addressed to me, as he was replying to my post :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by SloverUT

... There are bad practice techniques out there if people are truly trying to get better.   Obviously, going to the range and machine gunning 200 balls isn't a good idea if you want to improve.  But since I don't know the goals of those other people, I generally let it be. ...

onephenom,

Hate to say this, but the guy who brought a driver and 7i to the range probably doesn't care what  you think.

I compliment you on the fact that you have a 4 HDCP, but I'm not sure that empowers you to look down on those who don't.

As others have suggested, some people like to come out and beat golf balls. They like playing with their friends and socializing, and may not even keep a HDCP.

I certainly hope for your sake there's more to you than a 4HDCP golf game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by WUTiger

onephenom,

Hate to say this, but the guy who brought a driver and 7i to the range probably doesn't care what  you think.

I compliment you on the fact that you have a 4 HDCP, but I'm not sure that empowers you to look down on those who don't.

As others have suggested, some people like to come out and beat golf balls. They like playing with their friends and socializing, and may not even keep a HDCP.

I certainly hope for your sake there's more to you than a 4HDCP golf game.

.... I am not sure why noticing bad practice technique is me looking down on those who don't. Everyone on here talks about problems with someone's swing technique, commenting on bad practice technique isn't so much different. I never said the guy who brings driver and 7i is anything but practicing with bad technique. I never said he should care what I think, or that I look down on him.

Everyone seems to think this is a "how do the dumba**es you see practice wrong" when it seems pretty obvious I only asked what people noticed as bad practice technique.

It seems like only DavidinFL took this thread for what it is, not a thread for looking down on people. A few people decided it was negative and now everyone is because of that. I

There's a lot more to me than a 4HDCP golf game, and I think if you read more of my posts on other threads instead of assuming I make fun of people because of how someone else interpreted my question, you wouldn't have made such a snide remark.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hardly ever go to a range because the closest one is about 40 miles away. When I do I am going to hit my longer clubs and I couldn't care less if I even have my short irons with me.

I can practice any shots up to 170 yards all day long in my yard if I want to, so no need to practice them, plus I enjoy hitting the longer clubs anyway.

Who doesn't like hitting some long balls just for the fun of it?

I had a batting cage and pitching machine in my yard for 20 years before I started playing golf and went out there just about every day and hit a hundred balls for no other reason than that I enjoyed the feeling of ripping into a few balls.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by onephenom

.... I am not sure why noticing bad practice technique is me looking down on those who don't. Everyone on here talks about problems with someone's swing technique, commenting on bad practice technique isn't so much different. I never said the guy who brings driver and 7i is anything but practicing with bad technique. I never said he should care what I think, or that I look down on him.

Everyone seems to think this is a "how do the dumba**es you see practice wrong" when it seems pretty obvious I only asked what people noticed as bad practice technique.

It seems like only DavidinFL took this thread for what it is, not a thread for looking down on people. A few people decided it was negative and now everyone is because of that. I

There's a lot more to me than a 4HDCP golf game, and I think if you read more of my posts on other threads instead of assuming I make fun of people because of how someone else interpreted my question, you wouldn't have made such a snide remark.

Yeah, I think you just shot yourself in the foot with the text from your first post.  I get the idea of the title; to throw out practice techniques you think are bad and why, and perhaps we can all learn from that, but the "things that bug me" part set the tone to make it sound like a "pet peeve" thread. And Slover is right ... there are many of those, and they serve no purpose.

Anyways, towards what I believe is your original intention ... what I think is the worst practice technique is to just hit balls.  That's all I did my entire life, and I never had a coach or lesson, so it was all a big waste of time because I wasn't practicing anything.  Just hitting balls.  Repeatedly hitting balls is a big waste of time and money if you aren't actively working on something; best case, you're accomplishing nothing, and worst case you're ingraining bad habits.

Of course, that isn't something I actually notice at the range, because a) I don't pay attention to anybody unless they are doing something very right, and b) even if I did, I wouldn't know if they were working on something or not.

Oh, and for the record:  I do almost exactly what you said bugs you most.  I bring the whole bag, but out of 60-70 balls, about 40-50 of them are 6 irons and drivers.  6 irons to work on my swing, and drivers because thats my biggest weakness these days. :)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't really pay too much attention to others when I'm at the range, but it can be tough to not notice the people right next to me. Sometimes I almost want to say something to somebody when they're clearly struggling but doing nothing to change it. Case in point: the guy next to me last weekend looked like a golfer - he had the clothes, nice clubs, etc but was clearly struggling to hit the ball. Instead of slowing down, or anything he just kept hiring balls faster and faster, with a wilder and wilder swing and of course the results got even worse. By the time he got to his driver, he was barely making contact, but he must have swung at about 50 balls in two minutes. After a few choice words he left in obvious disgust. I felt for the guy.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0