IGNORED

I Keep Breaking Shafts…

Skyhawk
Note: This thread is 1177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok, I will ask the OP a really dumb question since it seems all other possibilities have been discussed.  First I will relate the instance that brings up my question.

Several years ago, was on a trip out of town and took my clubs along.  Had a rental car.  Played the round and the bag drop guy cleaned off my clubs and put them back in the trunk of the rental car.  Smaller trunks, I generally always put the club end in the trunk first and then the butt end of the bag.  He did it right the opposite but did not ring a bell with me at the time.  

Got home, and went out to play.  First swing, the head of the driver came off.  I would almost bet that he bent the shaft of the driver just enough putting the clubs in the trunk to cause the shaft to break.

Could something like this be your problem?

If not, I have to agree with everyone else...you almost have to be hitting the ball with the shaft at some point in time.  Get an old club and have someone film you swinging zooming in on the ball and see if it is making contact with the shaft.  

Edited by RickK

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

53 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah - but the OP has broken 3 different shafts within 5 large buckets.  I think even Jamie Sadlowski could hit my driver 500 times without breaking the shaft.  The clubhead, yeah . but probably not the shaft, I don't think. 

Check this out.  This is *not* how I broke my driver that one time, lol.  Notice, though, the shaft is fine until it hits his back.

That video probably explains things in my case. I will have the Greg Norman shaft bouncing of the shoulder follow through when I really go after it. It almost looks deliberate in this video with the way he yanks his hands forward at the end.

• Upvote 1

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

49 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

That video probably explains things in my case. I will have the Greg Norman shaft bouncing of the shoulder follow through when I really go after it. It almost looks deliberate in this video with the way he yanks his hands forward at the end.

Ya know . .I was almost going to say the exact same thing . .that it looks like he broke the shaft on purpose, .  I stopped short because . .well, I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. So . .it's obviously something I know nothing about, lol.

All I can think of is that you are teeing the ball up high, and hitting low. This would cause the shaft to make contact with the ball. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

It might be worth noting that the thread is 3 years old and the OP has not been active here since he posed his initial question...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

33 minutes ago, David in FL said:

It might be worth noting that the thread is 3 years old and the OP has not been active here since he posed his initial question...

Shhh. :ninja:

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I know a guy who went through the exact same thing, broke a shaft on his first time at the range, similar results (shaft break close to the club head)... and he also did it twice in hist first day.  I don't know what clubs he was using, but am sure they were old and/or beginner.  He was teeing it high, had a super fast swing (again, also a very good athlete, NCAA D1 baseball) and.... he was hitting the ball w/ the shaft.  

I would say mystery solved, except for one thing, he 100% knew he was doing it (his bad shots he could clearly tell he was hitting the ball w/ the shaft).  It's pretty easy to tell when you're missing the ball completely and hitting it w/ the shaft and not the clubhead.  But if on your other swings (the ones where it didn't break), you didn't notice it, then that's odd.

Are you taking the balls out of the bucket before you hit them?

Kidding aside, I was thinking equipment defects with the Adams set until you had the same happen with a borrowed club. I'd go with the suggestions above that perhaps you're making contact with the ball at the shaft/hosel connection point. Are you taking repeat practice swings that make contact with the ground enough to weaken that connection point enough that a few solid strikes seal the deal?

7 hours ago, David in FL said:

Ahhh crap!  Hate when I don't notice that...

Driver- :nike: Nike VR-Pro Limited Edition 9.5* Diamana 'ahina Stiff Flex 3 Wood- :titleist: Titleist 980 5 Wood- :tmade: Taylormade R9 3i-PW- :tmade: Taylormade Tour Preferred (Dynamic Gold S300) Putter- :tarmour: Tommy Armour T-Line 150 (it's old but I love it and haven't been able to find anything that feels better)

• 1 year later...

Same thing here I'm 13 and I broke my driver and 8 iron. The driver was a normal hit I didn't hit the ground and the club head was just sitting on the ground next to me. My second time golfing and in the range I take a swing with the iron and I see a great hit until I see the head flying. It's rediculous it must be something with the Adams clubs.

• 3 years later...

I just broke a graphite shaft. I am not a strong golfer with fast speed...I am 70 and score below 100 maybe 1/3 of the time. Here is what makes it strange: the shaft broke inside the grip about 2 in into the grip on the shaft end.

This is the thickest part of the shaft ! Note that this was my first swing with the club after regripping them. The shaft broke in my fore stroke after hitting ball (cleanly). It stayed connected to grip so the head just swung around an hit me in back pocket...felt weird, then noted grip was at right angle to shaft.

The pro shop said nothing they did could have caused failure.  Could this just be a coincidence? How can the shaft break just below my hand at one of its thickest parts.

I feel they probably clamped it down and cracked it pulling the old grip off.

6 hours ago, Ralph N said:

The pro shop said nothing they did could have caused failure.  Could this just be a coincidence? How can the shaft break just below my hand at one of its thickest parts.

the shaft broke inside the grip about 2 in into the grip on the shaft end.

Note that this was my first swing with the club after regripping them.

If you regripped them yourself and used a razor to cut off the old grips, it is possible that you created a weakness in the shaft with a razor nick. Graphite is fairly strong, until a weakness is introduced by outside forces. Once the weakness has been introduced, failure comes quickly.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

• iacas changed the title to I Keep Breaking Shafts…
22 hours ago, Ralph N said:

I feel they probably clamped it down and cracked it pulling the old grip off.

You don't clamp the shaft on the grip because you wouldn't be able to get it off of it was clamped. It may have been damaged during installation when pressure was applied while installing the new grip. The thing is, if thats the case there was probably a preexisting issue. How old was that club?

Edited by NM Golf

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

My 20 yr old son just got into the game, and he broke the shafts on three woods in his first month. It was due to a too steep swing plane, and very high club speed (Measured at 122-124 last month). He hit the ground behind the ball and the shaft just couldn't take it.

15 minutes ago, Esox said:

My 20 yr old son just got into the game, and he broke the shafts on three woods in his first month. It was due to a too steep swing plane, and very high club speed (Measured at 122-124 last month). He hit the ground behind the ball and the shaft just couldn't take it.

Sounds like we share the same son!  Wylie, at 17 (now 22) broke 3 drivers... snapping off the head, in the same fashion.  Two were hand-me-downs from me and the 3rd was a demo from a pro shop.  Kudos to the pro... he didn't charge us... said he'd return it to the vendor as defective.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

The graphite shaft on my MacGregor disintegrated, after a number of years, and they replaced it, I lost a Taylor made 3 wood, where the shaft went on the back swing.   It was also a few years old, and I bought a replacement from Golfbidder. 
How you break three in a short period of time, is way more than should happen.  So you must be doing something.

I only ever had issues with KBS Tour golf shafts. I had a wedge break off at the range and a 6 iron break on the golf course. Both were right after impact with the clubhead going flying forward like 20-30 yards. The golf shaft broke right at the hosel, like it was cut with a saw across the top. I just wonder if water got down there or something to rust the inside. You'd think it would rust near the butt end since the clubs sit upside down 99% of the time when in the golf bag. 

I think its more stress fractures from impact. The golf shaft will continually just flex slightly back and forth. Like if you bend a paperclip back and forth, it will break. 

I've only had two golf clubs break that way ever and both happen in the same year. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

8 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I only ever had issues with KBS Tour golf shafts. I had a wedge break off at the range and a 6 iron break on the golf course. Both were right after impact with the clubhead going flying forward like 20-30 yards. The golf shaft broke right at the hosel, like it was cut with a saw across the top. I just wonder if water got down there or something to rust the inside. You'd think it would rust near the butt end since the clubs sit upside down 99% of the time when in the golf bag. 

I think its more stress fractures from impact. The golf shaft will continually just flex slightly back and forth. Like if you bend a paperclip back and forth, it will break. 

I've only had two golf clubs break that way ever and both happen in the same year. 

I think there was an issue with those shafts and I don’t know for certain if they resolved it, but I’ve read multiple accounts of people either breaking them at the hosel or pulling them for whatever reason and finding that the shafts are slightly bent at the tip.

My last two sets of irons have KBS Tour shafts and they haven’t been an issue for me, but there are some advantages to not hitting the ground 😉

Sometimes it is the product and not the user that’s the problem. I’ve broken two Aldila RIP shafts within the same year. They’re the only two driver shafts I have ever broken.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Note: This thread is 1177 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!