IGNORED

Have you played any of Golf Digest's Top 100 Courses

Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Yes, the South.  I did not find the holes all that memorable.  The caddies were just a couple of junior high school kids.  The course is a top notch parkland-style course but the setting is nothing special without the history of all the major championships ,etc...  Would I rank Oakland Hills - South higher than 99% of the courses I have played?  Yes.  But for a "Top 10" course it didn't measure up to me, personally.

The OP asked to describe the courses in one word.  I could have said "Trees" or "History" but the word I posted was the first that popped into my head.

Thanks. What makes OH South great is the way Donald Ross routed the holes to make best use of the land. Look at the par 3 9th and 17th. Two great long par 3's with nasty greens naturally set into a hill. 11 is one of the great shorter par 4's in the country. 15 with the central bunkers is a great risk reward hole and 18, with it's narrow green is another risk reward hole, this time a par 5. Also, the greens make the course. It's not a beautiful setting but few courses are like Augusta or Pebble Beach.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Spyglass Hill

Arcadia Bluffs

Forest Dunes

Dormie

Tullymore

Pine Needles

Tobacco Road

comments - Arcadia Bluffs has the best views of any course I've played or walked, but it is very playable

Forest Dunes is in the middle of nowhere

If you play Pine Needles, I highly recommend going across the street and also playing Mid Pines (a Donald Ross course)

Tobacco Road is a love it or hate it course - in my playing group it is split about 50/50, I find it fun - although it is a gimmicky course which is not lacking a windmill since there is one!

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkuehn1952

Yes, the South.  I did not find the holes all that memorable.  The caddies were just a couple of junior high school kids.  The course is a top notch parkland-style course but the setting is nothing special without the history of all the major championships ,etc...  Would I rank Oakland Hills - South higher than 99% of the courses I have played?  Yes.  But for a "Top 10" course it didn't measure up to me, personally.

The OP asked to describe the courses in one word.  I could have said "Trees" or "History" but the word I posted was the first that popped into my head.

Sounds like you didn't have the right experience - last time I played the South course was one of my most memorable rounds; it was the toughest course that I've played, and it wasn't until we were done that we found out that there was a charity event in the morning and they put the pins in the same places they were for the Sunday round for the Ryder Cup. It is also memorable because after blowing up on 14, I managed to finish par, par, bogey, par to shoot a 97. The caddies were great, and not high school kids.

I agree it is an urban course - but there are memorable holes just due to the history, especially 16 & 17. And I did find it somewhat intimidating to wait on the first tee with all the plaques there with major championship winners honored.

Players play, tough players win!

only one for me at this point (on the public list); :-(

The Bear (Grand Traverse Resort)

Bryan

:wishon:  919, Aldila Voodoo  :callaway: Razr X Tour 3h  :callaway: Razr Hawk 3w, Aldila NV  :callaway: Razr X Forged 4-PW, KBS Tour  :wishon:  52, 56, 60, KBS Tour
 :odyssey: White Ice 330, 33in  :aimpoint:    :true_linkswear:

I don't have the means or the connections to play the top private courses but of the top 100 public I've played:

Bethpage Black

Forest Dunes

Pasatiempo

Torrey Pines South

Bay Harbor

Black Lake

Boyne Highlands Heather, and

Elk Ridge.

I must say that these lists are bizarre. Pinehurst #2 at 47 in the US of all courses? Insane. It's probably top 15 according to those in the know. And it's been years since I've played Elk Ridge but there are at least a dozen public/resort courses not on the list in Michigan that I've played that are better.

Only 2. Tobacco Road and TPC Sawgrass.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Nothing on the top 100, but played 3 of the top 100 public, and all in one trip to Maui/Kauai in 2010:

Prince

Makai

Wailea Gold

I intend to cross these off within the next few years:

Edgewood

Pasatiempo

Pebble

Kapalua Plantation

Bandon (all)

Coeur D'Alene

Bill

Playing Merion on Saturday. It's already on my list, but it's been a while. Certainly not since all the work they've done in preparation for the Open. I was supposed to play within two weeks of the Open before they made any changes back from the Open setup, but I couldn't make the available date. I will be curious to see how the course has healed from the beating it took back in June.

Bill M

Links at Spanish bay, fastest firmest course I have ever played

Edgewood Tahoe, shot 81 while they were having qualifying for the open in 1990

Couer De Alene, absolutely beautiful conditions and a first class staff

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Spent 3 weeks touring Ireland and notched several of the Top 100 outside the US.

1. Royal County Down G.C. Newcastle, Co. Down, Northern Ireland

12. Portmarnock G.C. Portmarnock, Co. Dublin, Ireland
13. Royal Portrush G.C. (Dunluce) , Portrush, Co. Antrim, Northern Ireland
23. Waterville G. Links Waterville, Co. Kerry, Ireland
26. Ballybunion G.C. (Old) Ballybunion, Co. Kerry, Ireland
41. Lahinch G.C. (Old) Lahinch, Co. Clare, Ireland
Highlight of the trip was crossing paths with Tom Watson at Lahinch.
He was in a group on the 18th hole and we had just played the 5th.
The holes cross fairway paths (a unique feature link courses were designed back then), and we all said hello and shook hands.
My favorite was Ballybunion, WOW what a great golf course.
Hope to make another trip over there at some point.
Most of the top courses in the US I've played have fallen off the list as many of the newer courses have filled there spots.
Club Rat

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

The Dunes - Overrated. At least 10 other courses in the Myrtle beach area alone I'd rate higher.

Caledonia Gold and Fish club - Should be number one course in the country.  Gorgeous drive into course, historic plantation clubhouse, 17 beautiful, distinct holes. Best finishing hole I've ever played.  IMHO Mike Strantz was the finest GC architect to have ever lived.  Afterthought 9th hole the only blemish in an otherwise perfect golf experience.

Which 10 courses in MB do you prefer to the Dunes?

Caledonia may be the best course in MB, but there is no way it is the best course in the U.S., not even the best public course in the U.S.

Caledonia may be the best course in MB, but there is no way it is the best course in the U.S., not even the best public course in the U.S.

good question, i think dunes is outstanding, i actually agree that i like Caledonia better but you are kind of talking about 1 and 1A on the strand IMO

i have been lucky enough to play multiple on the top 100 and more on the public 100 - i understand rakings are what they are but i have played several courses not listed on the top that i think are better. i guess everyone has an opinion but to a large degree it is splitting hairs between #50 and 150 on any potential list.

Driver- Callaway Razor somthing or other
3W- Taylor Made R11S
3H Rocketballz
4I-PW- MP-59
Gap- Vokey 54

Lob- Cleveland 60

Putter- Rife

Skycaddie SG5  

I haven't been to Myrtle Beach in 15 years, and I thought the Dunes was way overrated. Caledonia was a very good track but my favorite was Tidewater. I made sure I played there every trip.

Bill M

Top 100 America: Pebble Beach Bethpage Black TPC Sawgrass Spyglass Hill Harbour Town Top 100 World: Royal County Down (Only one, but it IS Number 1!) Top Public: Pasatiempo Dunes Golf CLub World Woods (Pine Barrens) Wailea GC, Maui.

I live close to these in Virginia so I am a bit lucky there

Mattaponi in Virginia

Golden Horseshoe Gold course

Tobacco Road

Kingsmill

TPC myrtle Beach

Note: This thread is 3714 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!