IGNORED

Anybody else use a "YARDAGE CARD" ??

inthehole
Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I put together a yardage card - laminate it & hang it from the loop on my golf bag for quick reference. I use a laser so am pretty confident in my yardages (the numbers in parenthesis are off the tee).    I'd be lost without it - makes quick club decisions much easier.

Curious if anybody else uses a yardage card ??

PS - anybody notice an anomaly on my card (other than the fact I'm stacked with wedges & don't like to take half swings) ??

wait for it ...

LOL - yep, the 48° blade is actually shorter than the 50° cavity backed gap wedge that came with my set - didn't believe it at first, but the laser never lies.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

the views vs. # of replies suggests nobody uses this method ... do you guys just memorize your yardages (I would suck at that - have to have it written down so I get it right) ?

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Sorry, didn't mean to leave you hanging...my yardages are pretty much the same as yours. I don't use a card, I just memorize my 7 iron yardage and extrapolate up or down from there (10 yards per club).

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Nope.  Never needed such a thing.  I know the normal range of each of my full swing clubs.  I've known how far I hit each club since long before anybody had a laser or GPS for measuring.  I just learned by playing.  My home course has been accurately marked from fairway markers to the center of each green for nearly 30 years, so figuring it out has been pretty automatic.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Yeah, I don't write anything down.  First of all, my swing is ever changing, so the numbers aren't concrete.  But, yes, I have all of the distances memorized.  I take in all of the factors, and get a feel for the right club.  If I had numbers written down, those would actually hurt me.

"The 9 feels right here, but this card says 8, so I guess it's an 8"

That would not help me.

Originally Posted by Golfingdad

Yeah, I don't write anything down.  First of all, my swing is ever changing, so the numbers aren't concrete.  But, yes, I have all of the distances memorized.  I take in all of the factors, and get a feel for the right club.  If I had numbers written down, those would actually hurt me.

"The 9 feels right here, but this card says 8, so I guess it's an 8"

That would not help me.

Yeah, sometimes ya gotta go with the gut.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I've heard of people writing it on tape and putting it on the shaft, mostly for reminders of what partial swings accomplish. For the basic full swing stuff I have it in my head, repetition has a way of doing that. But how to play certain shots is rarely judged on distance alone. I work from the distance to the center of green or landing area relative to the lie and design of the hole. As situations and conditions change so does the club selection.

Dave :-)

I made a yardage card with my wedges only.  I was having a lot of trouble inside of 100 yards determining my swing.  So, I took an idea from Michael Breed during a Golf Fix episode.  I went out to the range with my wedges where they have an "irons only" section with yardage markers of 30, 50, 70, and 90 yards.  I calculated the distances with a normal grip and a choke down grip using 3 different swings (1/2, 3/4, and full).  In all, I had 6 different distances with each club (PW, SW, LW).  Some of the numbers overlap, but it is good knowledge to have when a certain shot is required (i.e. the trajectory of 1 swing vs another).  I had the card in my pocket the first few times I played afterwards, but I started to memorize those distances.  I still carry it in my bag as a reference.

I would have never thought to do it - and don't think I've ever seen anyone with one.  I kind of do the 7 iron thing Ernst spoke of - but maybe with less extrapolation, most are just memorized.

I do what Ernest does, but from my stock 8 iron of 150. My clubs are about 12 yards apart so the pw is 125 and the 6 is 175. I really don't think too much about it, sometimes you just know. I guess I have played enough that I don't have any issues knowing what to hit or how to hit it.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Your yardages are pretty similar to mine.  I don't use a card... and some days my 7i will go 145.... some days it will go 160... I adjust during the round based on how I'm hitting the ball, course conditions, etc.

How far do you hit your driver?

I did this once, but included full swing, 3/4 swing, and 1/2 swing.  So I had 32 distances between 50 yards and 200 yards.  I found that to be really helpful.

It looked like this:

CLUB DISTANCE CLUB DISTANCE
LW 60 1/2 48 U (50) full 110
SW 56 1/2 57 4i (24) 1/2 114
LW 60 3/4 64 8i (37) 3/4 117
U (50) 1/2 66 PW (46) full 124
PW (46) 1/2 74 7i (33) 3/4 126
SW 56 3/4 76 6i (30) 3/4 134
LW 60 full 80 9i  (41) full 135
9i  (41) 1/2 81 5i (27) 3/4 143
8i (37) 1/2 88 8i (37) full 146
U (50) 3/4 88 4i (24) 3/4 152
7i (33) 1/2 94 7i (33) full 157
SW 56 full 95 6i (30) full 168
PW (46) 3/4 99 5i (27) full 179
6i (30) 1/2 101 4i (24) full 190
5i (27) 1/2 107 3H (21) full 210
9i  (41) 3/4 108 3w 15 full 235

I'm thinking about spending some time to work out my yardages with these swings and making the card again.  I know my full swing distances by heart, and a couple less than full swings, but its hard to keep this many straight.

here's what Pelz suggested:

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

I have the players on my high school golf team do something similar to this but I don't make them carry it around.  It is mostly an exercise for them to realize "how far they actually hit it vs. how far they think they hit it".  It will also bring to light any large gaps in distance or strange yardages, much like the OP's 48* and 50* issue.  I have been doing this for a number of years, never had anyone's actual distance be farther than they thought and we generally lower our scores after we know the truth.

I did this once for a tournament I was playing in, but have not done it since then.  I pretty much know my distances "if" I make good contact.  Anything 100 yards and in is just feel anyway, and I never take full swings with wedges.  I fear full wedge shots.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I never bothered with anything like that.  I figured my yardages out and reverify them any time I change any club.

My irons are in 10 yard increments up from a 140 yard 9 iron.

My PW drops to 125 yards, then the rest of the wedges drop in 12 yard increments.

I have played so long I just know the yardages.

But, it is good that you have determined what the yardages are.  Over time, you will find you don't need that card...you will just know.

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

I have a yardage card in my notebook I carry with me when I play.  While I have most yardages in my head I use it mainly for the times when my confidence waivers and I need something to reference to help me make a comfortable decision.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by dsc123

I do the same thing. In fact, I'm not even certain those aren't my clubs (they have different yardages now, but I remember taking a picture like that at some point).

I know the yardages of my clubs for full swings.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I use a yardage card similar to yours. I like it, it helps

:titleist: Woods :titleist: Irons :titleist: Wedges :cleve: Putter

Note: This thread is 3945 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!