IGNORED

Big Break NFL

ejere1
Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've watched 3 Big Break cycles up to now and like the series.

It seems that there are always a couple really good candidates, and the others seem to be 'ok' for pros.  It's a weird game for sure when you see "pros" tanking shots, etc.  It's a 'regular guy' type of show and easier to relate to them vs the PGA pros that are just freaky consistent and long.

I like the idea of the NFL players:

1 - they are all scratch, 1, 2 handicappers - their play vs the 'pros' on the teams will be an interesting study.  I expect the NFL guys to outplay their own teammates on occasion.  The contrast should be interesting and might just undermine the concept of the show really unless the 'pros' really do show superior talent consistently.

2 - NFL players are pro athletes and do understand what it takes to win and to be on a team.  That aspect should be fun since golfers don't focus that way very often at all.

this first episode was fun - 296 yards from a non-pro player just a foot from centerline came in last place?  crazy.  And let's not even talk about Rice's drive....one guy looked like he was swinging 'all arms' and still cleared 300 yards

the women played their challenge amazingly well - I wonder how 6 top ranked PGA pros would do in that challenge.....

the men's challenge kind of sucked - I wonder if the shot to the green was tighter or tougher than it looked.......The women from 110 got tighter than the men from something like 15 yards?????

team challenge......boring putting challenge, I expected more from everybody.

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watched it last night ... and I enjoyed it.  I was skeptical of the ability of the football players at first (where was Trent Dilfer??) but they were actually pretty decent.  None of them "held back" their teammates at all.  All of the big mistakes (I'm looking at you Meghan ... and Brian) were the fault of the golfers.  I also like the team format ... it goes well with the football theme.  I think it past episodes they have been on teams, but like all other reality shows, it was just temporary and when people got kicked off of the show, it was as a single.  Not here.  Win as a team, lose as a team.  2 losses, you all go home.  My initial thoughts ...

• Meghan definitely looks like the weakest golfer, especially when you add in that she was the first kicked off her last season as well.  It really makes you think that there were 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only, why she got picked for either season ... and neither of those reasons was golf, if ya know what I'm sayin'.
  • And because of that, things don't look too good for James Lepp or Mark Rypien (Her teammates).
  • Chad is still a jerk.
  • Michelle Tafoya makes sense on paper (again because of the football theme) but I agree with Whiskey that she looked a bit out of place.  Hopefully that improves.
  • Was very impressed with the girls on their 110 yard shots.  Throw out Meghan (32') and the worst was, I think, 14'.  The other 4 were all within 8'.
  • By constrast, the men were horrible on a 20 yard pitch shot ... the winner was 8', and one guy whiffed!!!!!!  (Not technically, it actually went about 4" forward ;))
  • There is a dude on here (Wil) from a season I didn't watch and he plays with a cross-handed FULL SWING.
  • Go Sasquatch!!!!

Meghan definitely looks like the weakest golfer, especially when you add in that she was the first kicked off her last season as well.  It really makes you think that there were 2 reasons, and 2 reasons only, why she got picked for either season ... and neither of those reasons was golf, if ya know what I'm sayin'.

Two glorious reasons. ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Two glorious reasons. ;-)

I don't understand what you are referring to.  Can someone please be specific about these two reasons.  Maybe an attached image could help.  I don't want to be left out of the conversation.

I don't understand what you are referring to.  Can someone please be specific about these two reasons.  Maybe an attached image could help.  I don't want to be left out of the conversation.

Sorry about that, we were being way too vague.  Here you go ...

Does that help?  Wait, now I forgot what the 2 reasons were because I'm distracted by her boobs.  Whoops.

Sorry about that.

My wife commented on that in the first five minutes.   "I hope she can play golf.  Otherwise, all she has going for her are her boobs."  She can play golf?

Let's not forget about Mallory either.  I had to turn it off at that point.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Does that help?  Wait, now I forgot what the 2 reasons were because I'm distracted by her boobs.  Whoops.

Sorry about that.

Helps so much it actually kinda hurts a wee bit...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Enjoyed the show last night. Was really surprised by the NFL guys, even to the point that I was a little skeptical of their driver distances. I know they are all big, strong guys, but every one of them is bombing it 300+? Maybe it was more downhill than it looked, or maybe they were hittting downwind. Regardless, it almost doesn't seem fair that the guy that finished last hit it 295 and basically stopped the ball on the centerline but the rules are the rules.

Girls were very impressive from 110 yards, especially with the wind they were dealing with. Meghan does seem staged for an early exit, which is unfortunate for everyone.

The guys were really disappointing. Maybe it was a tougher shot than it looked, but that was a pretty poor effort on all of their parts IMO. I could not believe the guy swiped right under the ball. That was ridiculous. How can a player of their (supposed) caliber not see that coming. I'm nowhere near pro-level, yet I still know not to swipe a SW right under the ball in a fluffy lie. It was like he had never hit a pitch shot from a good lie in the rough before.

Let's not forget about Mallory either.  I had to turn it off at that point.

Umm, let's not forget about any of them!  They are all attractive (please don't turn this into a "what's wrong with you, Zakiya is gross" thread - your objections are noted) but the thing with Meghan is that it appears that she actually CANNOT play golf.  She took over 2 minutes to hit the glass, and I think the next slowest girl was somewhere in the 25-30 second range.  She was over 30' away on her approach shot, next worst was 14', and the rest were all inside of 9.  On the putting challenge, she missed her 7 footer by 6 inches and it was going about 90 miles an hour as it whizzed by the hole.  Even if she hit the center, I'm not so sure it would have dropped.

Don't get me wrong, I would looove to see them (I mean her) continue on the show for as long as possible ... but golf-wise, it doesn't look good for her.

I didn't get to see the rest.  I am sure they are all eye candy.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I didn't get to see the rest.  I am sure they are all eye candy.

Most people think that Zakiya (the black one from Atlantis who designs her own clothes that are all ridiculously tight and small) is less than "eye candy."  I, personally, do not agree with them - although I do agree that her outfits are a little crazy - but, whatever.

It looks like most of the contestants are from the last 3 seasons, so I recognize them, because that is when I started watching.  (Atlantis, Greenbrier, Mexico)  The ones from older seasons I do not know (Indian Wells, Ireland, and maybe one other).

One other interesting note:  The older looking hispanic guy from, I think, Indian Wells (Oren?  I believe) uses a broomstick putter like Adam Scott but DOES NOT anchor it.  I'd be interested to know if he started doing that recently to get ready to conform in a couple of years, or if he's always done it that way.  Also somewhat interesting is that the one putt we saw him hit that way was horrendous!  "Yippy" was how Tom descibed it and I agree.

I googled Zakiya.  She is definitely in the eye candy range.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I googled Zakiya.  She is definitely in the eye candy range.

She'll do just fine thank you very much!

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Sorry about that.

To paraphrase Ben Wright, she may be handicapped by having her boobs get in the way of keeping her left arm straight during the swing. Just speculatin' on a hypothesis.....

Bill M

Sorry about that.

It is becoming more clear now.  Thanks, GD.  We all owe you one.

Too bad about the face, even though it took me a few minutes to notice she had one...

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I wasn't that terribly excited by the first epidode of this season . .hopefully it will pick up.  I was impressed by the football players golf abilities, though.  I'm not sure if that shows us how good they are or just reinforces that the vast majority of Big Breakers do not possess tour-level talent.

I am sure I am nearly alone on this . .but I am kind of offput by the emphasis on female golfer appearances.  I guess it's fine if they are good looking but I can't help but feel like there are more talented golfers than Meghan who got passed over for the show based on looks.

Based on what I've seen of her play, there's no reason she should be in media ads . .at least not holding golf clubs.

Note: This thread is 3605 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!