IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

Waiting for Guffman: Tap in birdie.

Some don’t understand the hilarity of mocumentaries but If you enjoyed Spinal Tap and the series of mocumentaries by Christopher Guest...this one’s a gem. Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, A Mighty Wind and For Your Consideration.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

40 years ago on this date: My battle against a gopher indirectly led to Danny Noonan and Ty Webb winning a $160,000 wager against Judge Smails.

ED9C6923-2C44-4CDC-872F-CE6AC4881F83.jpeg

- Shane

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Johnny English Strikes Again, double bogey. I don't mind some Rowan Atkinson, but this was just dumb.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

A few nights ago I watched Suicide Squad.  I thought I had seen it before, but I hadn't.  Good enough, but that story's a tough sell since pretty much none of the characters except Harley are well known to audiences and it isn't really an origin story either.  It gets a bogey, but it's a bogey on a hole that feels like it's half a shot over the stated par rating (like how I treat long par-4s as par-4.5s, where a 5 feels pretty close to a par, but it's really a bogey).  Still a fun movie. 

Last night I watched Birds of Prey.  I meant to see this in theaters in February, didn't, then meant to see it in March or on second-run, but... well.  Anyway, I wish I had seen this in theaters, but home on a 65" screen was pretty good too.  It's a par on a hole that feels like it's a half shot over the stated par rating, like making a 4 on a long par-4 that I think of as a par-4.5.  It feels like a birdie, but it isn't really one, but it's a good accomplishment anyway.  Huntress is one of my favorite DC characters and Mary Elizabeth Winstead plays her perfectly to my view.  This is now my second-favorite DCEU movie, although I haven't seen Shazam yet.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The Amulet

Double Bogey. Flop. All over the place. No character development, story a hodge podge ot confusion.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

12 hours ago, iacas said:

Johnny English Strikes Again, double bogey. I don't mind some Rowan Atkinson, but this was just dumb.

The real question is why did you even try in the first place?!😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

The real question is why did you even try in the first place?!😜

Cuz sometimes I just want something brainless for the background.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Cuz sometimes I just want something brainless for the background.

I would choose static over Johnny English.😜

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Josie and the Pussycats, par.

I mean, the movie itself is a lipped out putt for double after a tee shot OB, and a tap-in triple, but it's got Rachel Leigh Cook, so…

• 2 weeks later...
  • Administrator

Blinded by the Light, bogey. I don't really care about Bruce Springsteen (I mean, I like a lot of his songs, but meh). This didn't speak to me. I get it, but you knew what was going to happen the whole time, and it felt very static.

• Administrator

The Happytime Murders, lipped out a 25-footer for birdie, tapped in for par.

I appreciate the mixed genre stuff, the hilarity of puppets having sex and swearing and doing whatever, etc. It's hilarious. Melissa McCarthy is what you'd expect.

Bad Education

Tap in par.  Hugh Jackman and Allison Janney were really good as school district administrators who get caught with their hands in the till.  Seeing the lack of transparency as the school board is convinced to allow Janney's character to walk away and avoid prosecution so that they can save face is something that hits close to home as a teacher.  We've currently seen our school board meetings devolve into three ring circuses.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

The Old Guard, par, it didn't get great reviews, but I enjoyed it for what it was, old souls superheroes, jump around in time "genre", lol.

Rewatched Cinema Paradiso, eagle. It's on HBO Max, but it got the ratio aspect wrong and the picture is clipped on the sides. Still a beautiful story plus the score by Morricone.

In a Lonely Place, birdie. Great performance by Bogart, dial up the cynicism.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Escape From New York

Since NYC looks like it's slipping back into the 80s, had to pull this one up. Easy birdie. An all-time classic, excellent Kurt Russell - hilarious special effects but the technology in it aged surprisingly well all things considered.

• Administrator

Bad Education, bogey. The acting saves this one, because they could have done more to show the embezzlement, and a bit more of the back story, but it was well worth a watch. Not at all a rewatchable film, though, so a bogey for that reason.

Just finished the Outpost.  Tap in birdie.  The first half is a bit slow, but the action sequence is pretty intense.

I can't believe the Army leadership is that stupid to put the outpost in such a dangerous position.

My hats off to all those who serve the country.  Thank you.

EDIT-

If you watch the film, make sure you watch all the way to the end as the credit rolls.

Edited by Yukari

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

• Administrator

Last Christmas, the quasi-romantic comedy thing with Emilia Clarke. Par. It was headed toward the typical dumb romantic comedy (kinda) bogey/double, but the little twist at the end I didn't see coming, and it made the movie somewhat unique and interesting. Not worth a re-watch, but better than I had thought it would be, and worth watching once.