IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

• 4 weeks later...

You've Got Mail, Tap in Birdie. 

I haven't seen this movie in a long time. I really enjoyed rewatching it. I like how complicated they made the relationship between Joe (Tom Hanks) and Kathleen (Meg Ryan). 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

A few nights ago, I saw -- for the first time, although it's almost a decade old -- The Watch.  Easy par on a straight-forward hole.  The four stars played pretty much their usual characters, but they fit together well.  I didn't remember much about the movie, other than that I like most of the stars and I wanted to see it when it was out ten or so years ago.  

Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness, Birdie. 

Overall, I liked the darker almost suspense/horror tone of this movie. It really works with the Dr. Strange theme. They pushed the PG-13 rating such that there were some push back online that it should have been rated-R. I do not agree, I think they got away with it pretty well. The one thing I liked a lot is when they put thought behind the villains, and really put time into why they are doing what they are doing, even if the logic is F'd up in the end. 

Yea, I was totally into this movie. 

On 4/12/2022 at 6:42 PM, jmanbooyaa said:

The Rock. Tap in Birdie. So much to like and so much fun. Connery and Cage with the insane directing of Bay. 

I really enjoy that movie. If it is on TV, I will keep it on. 

I’m working my way through all of Yasujiro Ozu’s filmography (thank you criterion channel!) and recently watched Floating Weeds. What a movie. Tap in birdie 

Unbroken - Tap In Birdie

Not sure why I didn't watch this before when it came out.

My son and I saw "The Bad Guys" last night. 
He enjoyed it. I enjoyed it. Probably an easy birdie for 11 year old kids. At worst a kick-in par for adults. 

36 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Dune - Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Bogey. I thought the one made in 1984 was dull. I guess it’s just the story line. Snoozer.

The first two Dune books are some of my favorites. I enjoyed the movie because it brought the book to life for me. 

I saw dr strange in the multiverse of madness. First half of the movie: bogey. Second half: birdie. Overall a par.

idk if I’m getting marvel fatigue or what but it just left me cold. Feels like they’re moving too quickly with no direction or purpose 

RRR is on Netflix - eagle - and one of best action movies I’ve seen in awhile. It’s dubbed in Hindi no option for Tegulu, so the lip syncing is off. But the 3 hours will fly by like nothing. Amazing set pieces action and dancing. 

• Administrator

Top Gun: Maverick - it's a birdie that's sitting on the edge of the cup, and if I take a reasonable amount of time to get to the hole from 166 out, and ten seconds, it may just fall in for an eagle.

As corny and predictable as it was, I enjoyed just about every second of it. It was nostalgic, self-referential, paid homage, and hit all the right notes without being heavy-handed in any way. I still don't know who Penny or Emilia are, but I guess that doesn't matter.

• Administrator
i?img=%2Fphoto%2F2022%2F0519%2Fespn_crui

"Top Gun: Maverick" hits theaters this weekend. And as usual, there is a Tom Cruise running scene. That presents an important question, though: Is he actually good at running?

I watched two good movies today, The Batman.  I'm admittedly sort of sick of comic book movies (and have been for years now, and you may want to consider that when reading this review), but I have a compulsion to see Batman movies for some reason.  There's a natural cut-point where they could have turned this into two reasonable-length movies, or at least have a scheduled intermission.  I read somewhere this is the second-longest comic book movie (the longer one was in the Avengers series, but I couldn't get through the first Avengers movie, despite having tried 3-4 times).

Anyway.  Overall it was a good movie, very enjoyable.  And it had more Batman villains than any movie I had seen yet this year (The Deadpool had two or three, depending on whether or not someone being cast as one but not actually being filmed as one counts).  I liked this more than any other Batman movie since Val Kilmer played the role, even Batman Begins (my favorite in that frame, unless you count Return to the Batcave as a Batman movie, but that's really something else entirely.)

I have debated since the end credits started to roll what rating to give this.  I think I have to give it a bogey, but it's one of those where you play a 500 yard "par 4" into the wind and make a five, and it's a bogey on the scorecard but it feels like a par.  I really enjoyed the movie, and I don't have any complaints, other than it really should have been two movies.  

If the length of a movie doesn't bother you, and if you like Batman, I'd suggest seeing this movie.  I think it's the best movie with the character since the Keaton era.  The lead actor is really good, and while I've known his name for a while, this is the first of his movies I have seen (I just checked IMDB and I don't think I've seen any).  Zoe Kravitz and Jeffrey Wright are also great in their roles.  Come to think of it, the whole movie was very well cast. 

(edited)

Hans Zimmer is a genius. 

I would never have guessed that certain sounds in the movie were actually him and his team creating instruments to get that particular sound. 

Edited by saevel25

• Administrator
0x0.jpg?format=jpg&width=1200

"Prehistoric Planet" is a 5-part series on Apple TV+ that provides a detailed, epic view of prehistoric life as we currently understand it.

Watched all five episodes tonight. Really great stuff!

AAXU5NX.img?h=630&w=1200&m=6&q=60&o=t&l=

How did ‘Prehistoric Planet’ create such incredible dinosaurs? Find out in a behind-the-scenes peek.
1200x675mf.jpg

Experience the wonders of our world like never before in this epic series from Jon Favreau and the producers of Planet Earth. Travel back 66 million y…

On 5/27/2022 at 10:32 PM, iacas said:

Top Gun: Maverick - it's a birdie that's sitting on the edge of the cup, and if I take a reasonable amount of time to get to the hole from 166 out, and ten seconds, it may just fall in for an eagle.

As corny and predictable as it was, I enjoyed just about every second of it. It was nostalgic, self-referential, paid homage, and hit all the right notes without being heavy-handed in any way. I still don't know who Penny or Emilia are, but I guess that doesn't matter.

In the original movie at the beginning when Mavrick and Goose are getting lectured by Admiral Stinger, he references his high speed passes over 5 towers and one Admiral's Daughter...... and Goose turns to him and says Penny Benjamin 

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, David L Yskes said:

In the original movie at the beginning when Mavrick and Goose are getting lectured by Admiral Stinger, he references his high speed passes over 5 towers and one Admiral's Daughter...... and Goose turns to him and says Penny Benjamin 

Oh, great catch there. Thank you.