IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

I saw the Thirteenth Floor recently and thought it was pretty good. It got 27% rotten on Rottentomatoes, but two good friends recommended it to me, so I thought I'd go with their opinion over the critics. I'm glad I did. It's a good sci-fi flick. I actually think the story is strong enough to be made into a 10 episode mini-series or TV show. I'd definitely give that show a try.

It kinda got swept under the rug by the popularity of the Matrix (they both came out in 1999), and that's unfortunate. Obviously it has its flaws, but if you're into sci-fi, I think you'll like this movie.

I'd also avoid the trailer as it reveals too much of the story.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I saw the Thirteenth Floor recently and thought it was pretty good. It got 27% rotten on Rottentomatoes, but two good friends recommended it to me, so I thought I'd go with their opinion over the critics. I'm glad I did. It's a good sci-fi flick. I actually think the story is strong enough to be made into a 10 episode mini-series or TV show. I'd definitely give that show a try.

It kinda got swept under the rug by the popularity of the Matrix (they both came out in 1999), and that's unfortunate. Obviously it has its flaws, but if you're into sci-fi, I think you'll like this movie.

I'd also avoid the trailer as it reveals too much of the story.

Dark City gets compared to The Matrix too, but it was released about a year before The Matrix . William Gibson's Neuromancer contains many concepts used in The Matrix but was written in 1984. People have been trying to make Neuromancer into a movie for ages.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Yea, I'll check out Dark City... the trailer looked WEIRD though.

I saw the Way, Way Back last night. Pretty funny. I enjoyed it. Typical coming-of-age story, but somehow entertaining. I thought it captured Cape Cod pretty decently well. The place definitely feels like that when I visit, but I'm no where near "local" enough to make a call like that :-D

Still, kind of a subdued comedy... no real major laughs or anything. Just a nice, feel good tale of a 14 year old kid spending his summer at the Cape. Steve Carell was kind of miscast, but he pulls it off really well despite that. Good range on him.

Constantine

Yea, I'll check out Dark City... the trailer looked WEIRD though.

DC is a cult-ish hit and is weird, and might weirder if you've seen the TV show, 24. Kiefer Sutherland plays against type.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

We watched Elysium last night.  It was a bogey at best.  Jody Foster, who I think is a tremendous actor, should be forced to give back her Academy Award after her performance.  She had the worst French accent this side of Steve Martin in The Pink Panther .  Truly awful.  The special effects were OK and Matt Damon was good, but it was the typical post-apocalyptic story.  The Bad Guy had this weird half French half Aussie accent.  It was as if he couldn't figure out where he was supposed to be from.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Foster's French isn't bad, compared to American actors, Kristin Scott Thomas's is excellent but she's English. Bad guy is South African thus the accent, as is director. Elysium could have been so much more as a 4-6-8 hour movie/mini series. The healing machine is quite the upgrade compared to the one in the last Alien movie. Now that, was way more disappointing.

Steve

• Administrator

Man of Steel

Bogey

It was too long and felt way too much like one of the Terminator movies, with all the fighting in the street, etc. I was looking forward to a new take on the Lois Lane/Clark Kent relationship, a new take on the entire premise behind why Superman was sent to earth and what would happen to him, but for being 2.5 hours long the plot was as thin as it gets. Too much suspension of disbelief, too, including the neck snapping at the end.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Hearing some good things about American Hustle. I'll wait for the DVD release cuz I hate theatres but I'm looking forward to hear what any of you guys think should you happen to see it.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Hearing some good things about American Hustle. I'll wait for the DVD release cuz I hate theatres but I'm looking forward to hear what any of you guys think should you happen to see it.

Major décolletage. Go see if you like Amy Adams and J. Law.

A movie I really liked that went under the radar is All is Lost, Robert Redford is the sole actor, lost at sea genre.

Steve

Major décolletage. Go see if you like Amy Adams and J. Law. A movie I really liked that went under the radar is All is Lost, Robert Redford is the sole actor, lost at sea genre.

Well I'm definitely a big fan of décolletage. I've heard about All is Lost, supposed to be excellent. Virtually no dialogue?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Just saw, "American Hustle". I am giving it an eagle. Great plot, great script, great acting, but some parts of the movie just seemed way to slow. So, a slight pacing problem. I highly recommend this movie to those who like movies with a very in depth witty script, and characters.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Really enjoyed Catching Fire this afternoon. It's obviously a set up for the next movie, but regardless of the lack of a conclusion, it was still quite good. Wife is a fan of the books and thought the movie was good and true.

• Administrator

The Invention of Lying

Birdie

The first half hour is great. Things get a little bit muddier after that, but only briefly - until the "Man in the Sky" parts begin. The movie was not entirely well received but I don't think people really gave much credit to the deeper meanings. There's a lot there, and it's funny, and brilliant, and understated.

I really, really enjoyed it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The Invention of Lying

Birdie

The first half hour is great. Things get a little bit muddier after that, but only briefly - until the "Man in the Sky" parts begin. The movie was not entirely well received but I don't think people really gave much credit to the deeper meanings. There's a lot there, and it's funny, and brilliant, and understated.

I really, really enjoyed it.

Have you seen Ghost Town? I think you'll like it as well. Gervais also stars. It is a travesty both didn't do that well at the box office. Meanwhile Grown Ups 2 mints money. There's a worst movie ever candidate.

Steve

Anchorman 2

Birdie

Very funny, some cool cameos and some nods to the first movie.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Anchorman 2 Birdie Very funny, some cool cameos and some nods to the first movie.

I forget where I read it, but I saw someone suggest that for the third movie they should go meta. The news team gets overexposed and has to go away for a while to reinvent themselves. I thought that was funny.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Ghost Town

Par

Meh. I think I'd already seen this movie years ago - I remembered parts of it, at least - but I re-watched it on the recommendation above. It wasn't anywhere near as clever, nor as funny, as The Invention of Lying . It was just an average movie.

I've heard about All is Lost, supposed to be excellent. Virtually no dialogue?

Yeah, like Gravity. 77 years old, still making movies.

Steve