IGNORED

The Films and Movies Thread

iacas

• Administrator

Logan Lucky - Birdie. I didn't think the previews made it look very good, but it's a fun little romp with an Ocean's 11 level of intrigue and mystery.

Ha, it just played the part where they call it Ocean's 7/11. Literally seconds after I typed that. (The movie is almost over; I'm writing this before it's over.)

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Annihilation. Birdie, tempting to give it an eagle. What a head trip.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I am, at this moment, watching "Marty" for the umpteenth time.  The Stardust Ballroom...it's loaded with tomatoes.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

9 hours ago, nevets88 said:

Kinda glad to hear this. I wonder what the opinion is of the people who like the books. The trailers never appealed to me.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

5 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Kinda glad to hear this. I wonder what the opinion is of the people who like the books. The trailers never appealed to me.

I didn't read the book, but read the synopsis afterwards, the movie definitely veers away from the book. When the director worked on the movie, he had no idea the book was part of a trilogy and treated it as a stand alone work. I like both, but some some book readers, this always happens though, did not like the deviation.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Kind of my year in review:

Screen Shot 2018-02-23 at 2.25.30 PM.png

Steve

22 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I've been thinking about it since I saw this afternoon. I'm gonna go ahead and give it an eagle. 

It NEEDS to be seen in theaters. Big screen, volume cranked up as loud as possible. The part with the bear will stick with me forever. 

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

• Administrator

Watched Game Night (81% critics, 86% users). Give it a long-range birdie. Movie was better than I expected, with a few little twists and some funny sequences.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Black Panther.  Giving this an easy birdie.   Great action and performances all around.   My only complaint was the use of Klaw.  The more Andy Serkis, the better.  

Corey

• Administrator

Finally watched The Founder (83/82 at RT).

I give it a birdie. I thought it was a fascinating little peek into one side of the story behind the founding of McDonald's. It was well-acted, though I almost have a hard time believing the brothers were that naïve… though they must have been. Or they simply were too trusting and/or had a bad original contract. They certainly aren't the only people to ever be kicked out or bought out of a company they created.

I was fascinated to the end. Really enjoyed it.

Icarus - birdie. I knew sketchy details of the Russian doping program. Kind of glad I watched this after the Winter Olympics. It started in one direction then totally veered into another. The main character is quite a character.

Steve

Mudbound - birdie. Have seen movies on post WWII Jim Crow but they're usually based in cities, this pov is one I've never seen before. Also see why it was nominated for cinematography.

Mute - bogey. Even with its science fiction-y backdrop and Duncan Jones, kind of fell flat.

Steve

A Wrinkle in Time. Bogey. Judgement clouded having read the book. Don't envy the task of having to make a movie of the book under the strong arm of Disney as well.  It's a mess. Imho it needs at least double the runtime, a mini series, to retain the good parts. 

Steve

The Death of Stalin. Birdie. How do you balance comedy and the legacy of Stalin? I was laughing a lot albeit uncomfortably. 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Wind River.  The wife suggested it - I was a bit hesitant because the trailer didn't seem interesting, but it really kind of blew me away and left me with a lot to think about.  Very well acted, with Jeremy Renner staring as a Fish and Wildlife tracker on an Indian reservation in Wyoming. The movie provides a powerful indictment of life on a reservation, with exciting intrigue that will keep you guessing until a F'ing brutal scene near the end.  An easy birdie here, bordering on an Eagle.

2 minutes ago, Eric C said:

Wind River.  The wife suggested it - I was a bit hesitant because the trailer didn't seem interesting, but it really kind of blew me away and left me with a lot to think about.  Very well acted, with Jeremy Renner staring as a Fish and Wildlife tracker on an Indian reservation in Wyoming. The movie provides a powerful indictment of life on a reservation, with exciting intrigue that will keep you guessing until a F'ing brutal scene near the end.  An easy birdie here, bordering on an Eagle.

+1. The Wyoming backdrop is stunning. Breathtakingly beautiful and unforgiving at the same time. The last half hour was worth rewinding and watching it again. 

Highly recommend.    

Vishal S.

Itzhak - birdie. Just an inspiring guy. On the handkerchief he uses as sort of a neck rest for the violin, it says "Practice Slowly".

This has relevance to golf:

Steve