IGNORED

Pants/Slacks or Shorts??

PapaBear
Note: This thread is 3830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ditto. I use to wear shorts all the time. But a few years ago, I found that slacks (light breathable kind) actually keeps my legs cooler by keeping the sun off and I don't have to put on sunscreen on my legs. [quote name="iacas" url="/t/70354/slacks-or-shorts#post_905154"]Pants are fine. They keep my legs in shade, which serves two purposes: 1) Keeps my legs cooler. 2) Keeps sun off my legs for reduced chances of skin cancer. [/quote]

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I will wear shorts until the temp drops into the low 50s.  I've played in shorts in the 40's when it was not windy.  I don't mind the cold. If I wear pants above 70, I will sweat even more, which makes it uncomfortable to play.

I coined the phrase, "I'm sweating like Youkilis!" to describe how much I perspire.

I think if you perspire more, shorts are the way to go.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Heavy slacks in the cooler weather and light ones in the hotter weather.  I have never worn shorts to play in and just don't like how they look. I don't even practice in shorts anymore as I hate it when bugs land on my legs while I'm practicing and of course mosquitoes love to chomp on the calves.  Slacks all the way.

I laugh on the inside at most every golfer who wear long pants on summer days.  I have a few senior citizen golfer friends who wear long pants when it's warm, but I give them a pass because their legs are a frightful sight and they don't own any shorts....... they play good golf though.......

Tour pro's wear long pants on tour because they are forced to.......weekend golfers do because they don't know how to dress for the weather conditions?

I don't laugh or judge when I see guys wearing shorts in 60 deg weather and 15 mph winds that have the wind chill at less than 50 degrees.

I don't care what they do ... I guess they're comfortable.

I like wearing pants when the weather calls for it - now they are typically lighter, breathable  pants when the temps are above 75. And when it goes over 90, longish shorts are on. But I don't like applying sunscreen except above my shoulders, don't like swatting bugs or flying insects off my legs, don't like the bites, and don't care for sun to hit the body for long term health reasons and the avoidance of leathery skin. Now that's just me.

But if guys want to wear shorts or even, God forbid, muscle shirts (on the range) so they can expose their skin to the elements, insects, and mankind, if the club allows it, I'm just there to play golf - not judge or laugh.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I don't laugh or judge when I see guys wearing shorts in 60 deg weather and 15 mph winds that have the wind chill at less than 50 degrees.

I don't care what they do ... I guess they're comfortable.

I like wearing pants when the weather calls for it - now they are typically lighter, breathable  pants when the temps are above 75. And when it goes over 90, longish shorts are on. But I don't like applying sunscreen except above my shoulders, don't like swatting bugs or flying insects off my legs, don't like the bites, and don't care for sun to hit the body for long term health reasons and the avoidance of leathery skin. Now that's just me.

But if guys want to wear shorts or even, God forbid, muscle shirts (on the range) so they can expose their skin to the elements, insects, and mankind, if the club allows it, I'm just there to play golf - not judge or laugh.

I would rather be dressed too warm than not warm enough. It's a guessing game around here many times. Not unusual for the morning temps (when we start our round) to be in the 40s or 50s at this time of year and not unusual for the afternoon temps to be mid 80s. Hardest to judge is how much wind is on the course. I only live a few miles from the course but the wind seldom blows at my house and almost always blows at the course because it's on the brow of the mountain.

Shorts whenever weather permits. Last few rounds have been in pants though, just too cool most days at this time of year.

In my Sun Mountain 14 Way Stand Bag:

Driver - Ping G30 10.5* : Fairway - Ping G30 18* : Hybrids - Titleist 915H 21* & 915 H 24* : Irons - Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 5 - GW : Wedges, Vokey 54.14, Vokey 58.12 : Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 or Ping Craz-E-R  : Ball - Bridgestone B330RX, Cart - Cliqgear 3.5

Shorts and/or slacks, depending on the weather.

Sometimes long underwear beneath the slacks.

Years ago I mostly wore slacks, for some reason I played better with slacks vs. shorts.

Probably a mental factor.

I usually wear pants. I'm more comfortable in them and I find I'm less likely to jam my pockets full of crap with pants on than I am if wearing cargo shorts.

Other advantages to pants are the extra protection from biting insects and sunburn.

I might feel differently if I was living in Nevada or Texas.

Pants are fine. They keep my legs in shade, which serves two purposes:

1) Keeps my legs cooler.

2) Keeps sun off my legs for reduced chances of skin cancer.

Ditto. I use to wear shorts all the time. But a few years ago, I found that slacks (light breathable kind) actually keeps my legs cooler by keeping the sun off and I don't have to put on sunscreen on my legs.

The pants I wear for golf are so light weight that the advantages far outweight the negatives (and I so far it seems the only negative is BuckeyeNut laughing at us). If I felt too hot and sweaty wearing pants I would definitely switch to shorts but the reality is today's sportswear is infinitely lighter, more breathable and comfortable than the Dockers and Chinos of days gone by. Plus as I said in my first post, the mozzies are a big factor but maybe mosquitos are less common on US courses? Do they spray?

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I wear shorts as much as possible, but I enjoy wearing pants on a cool day more.  I have hairy legs so if I wear pants on a hot day I'm not going to comfortable...

Trying to settle an argument with golf buddy.  In sunny and humid Florida, I wear shorts more often than not.  Other guy says we should always wear slacks, I say dress comfortable and nice.  Do most prefer shorts or slacks when playing a casual round?

To answer your original question, shorts every time except for during the winter... and even then sometimes shorts. For those of you who are golfing mostly in Montreal, PA, CO, or pretty much anywhere but the dirty south, you may never understand the nasty humid Florida heat. So as someone who golfs down here I may have to laugh at anyone who wears long pants anytime after May and before November... I'll say again shorts.

Shorts as much as possible up here close to the Wisconsin line.

But no cargo crap, as I feel they look as bad as denim.

I wear a neutral collared cotton golf shirt, and neutral tan shorts.

If it gets under 65° the slacks are on.

I always wear slacks/pants.  Just more comfortable in them.  Even when it's 90+ outside with high humidity I still wear pants.  Either black or my really light almost white.  Don't really own any others that I'd play golf in.  Also gives me something to wipe my club face on if I need to around the green lol since I often try to play when I can get the first tee time.

Callaway XR 9.5 + 1, Taylormade R15 3 Wood, Burner 3 Rescue, Callaway XHot 5H, Warbird 4H, Nike Vapor Fly 6-AW Irons, Titleist Vokey 54, 60 Wedges, Taylormade Rossa Fontana Putter, Srixon Z-Star Tour Yellow.

Best Score 2017:  82 (Traditions at the Glen, Par 70)

Favorite Course - Conklin Players Club (Par 72) - Best Score 86

I wear shorts until the temps get near 50 or so or around 55 in the wind.  Difficult to argue with the skin cancer thing but there is some pretty good sunblock lotions  available these day and I use it.

Butch

I look at the Weather Channel and then decide which ones to wear.

60° and above during the round - shorts

59° and below - pants

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

I wear shorts until the weather gets under 60*. My father and I play at the same club, but in different groups. I cannot recall the last time I saw him in shorts (on or off the course). He wears slacks while golfing even if it's 90 degrees with 70% humidity (he also walks the course). I don't know if the guys in his group ever asked him about it, but I often get questions from them as to why he always wears slacks.

Note: This thread is 3830 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!