IGNORED

My Swing (billchao)

billchao

26 minutes ago, billchao said:

I crushed that ball, btw. Just not in the direction I intended

Ha ha! Know the feeling. Good luck with all the changes.

• Thumbs Up 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, billchao said:

Head moving up and forward is from moving down and back too much in the backswing. It’s ok to tip back a little bit with the driver, but proper recentering isn’t happening at all in these swings which made another timing component.

Club is set late, goes across the line, funky wrist stuff I’ve been fighting since I started playing this game. Leads to steep transition so I shallow hard, late, end up underplane and swinging way out. Trail elbow moves behind the hip and thus behind the pivot.

Lots of stuff I’ve worked on, had lessons to fix, and clearly haven’t done so.

I crushed that ball, btw. Just not in the direction I intended.

Just go back to the basic pieces and work on them one at a time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, dennyjones said:

@billchaowhat are you using to hold your phone while playing?   I have a tripod but it's not practical to carry on the course.

I use a GorillaPod with a phone mount attachment. Square Jellyfish I think.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

Just go back to the basic pieces and work on them one at a time.

Yea, I know what I have to do, it’s a matter of just doing it. Kind of let stuff go for a bit because I was striking the ball well and intentionally not working on mechanics.

It’s a lot of things to list but few actual pieces, because they’re related. The elbow piece is actually harder to do separately from the club set IME, and the path/face stuff corrects itself if I do that correctly.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Focused on just setting the club today. Put it in a good position in the backswing and everything else kind of falls in place.

• Thumbs Up 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Such a sexy swing - nice work!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

• Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

It's always looked good. Bill has to keep the parts that "look good" while finding the clubface and having that clubface pointing somewhere in the right direction. 🙂

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

He is also a snappy dresser when on the course. I am disappointed to see him dressing down for his practice session. 

• Funny 2

8 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

I’m happy with the last post, but before that I hadn’t been putting in any work and the swing looked like a steaming pile of 💩 

5 hours ago, iacas said:

It's always looked good. Bill has to keep the parts that "look good" while finding the clubface and having that clubface pointing somewhere in the right direction. 🙂

I’ve learned to just accept that I push the ball. It works great - until I pull it 😃

4 hours ago, Carl3 said:

He is also a snappy dresser when on the course. I am disappointed to see him dressing down for his practice session. 

For the record, I usually practice in my work clothes. I’m pretty dressed up for my line of work.

Bill

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, iacas said:

Hahahah

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

14 hours ago, billchao said:

I’ve learned to just accept that I push the ball. It works great - until I pull it 😃

You have got to figure out the reason. For me, it’s either setup or a short fast backswing. The latter is easy to feel that I did wrong, I was fast, I was short. The result is a pull or bad push if I try to save it. I correct with the long, slow, high feel.

The setup is also a routine thing. Lately, I’ve been setting up like Erik does, set the face for my start line, then get into my stance. I try not to move the club at all after setting it. I should be set with my feet left of target and the face slightly right. I pay attention to make sure my shoulders aren’t closed or open WRT my foot line. I film it too and sometimes find my feet are wrong. When your practicing even into your net, try to set up the same way each time.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You have got to figure out the reason.

Wouldn't that be worth some $$$ !

I watched for an entire week at SV. @saevel25in the same boat. The good and pure shots they both hit were stupid good. Long too. Honest to god, they both seem to be soooo close to being soooo good at all times. Sooner or later somethings gotta break loose in the right direction.  

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

6 hours ago, boogielicious said:

You have got to figure out the reason.

It’s probably the same as it’s always been. I have a range swing and a course swing. The course swing is just a little bit longer and a little less mechanically sound - just enough to cause bigger variations in the resulting shot.

I’ve always had the mentality of make good swings and good results will follow, but I think I need more of a make the ball do what you want it to attitude. I feel like I have to shape the shot, even if it’s my stock shot. It’s about the mental focus. Deliberate action. I need to hit it to my target because that’s what I want to do with it, not because I’m hoping it would end up there.

I’m not sure if I’m explaining that well, TBH.

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 9/15/2021 at 9:24 PM, billchao said:

Focused on just setting the club today. Put it in a good position in the backswing and everything else kind of falls in place.

Yup, this was the move. I was striping the ball today. Hit 8/14 fairways at Neshanic, which isn't easy. Unfortunately I didn't score well, because my short game decided not to show up to the course for the first 12 holes and I kept lipping out 5-10 footers. Thinned/chunked a handful of shots inside 100. Ended up with 7 GIR, should have been 10. Did almost drive a 315 yard par 4, though. Made two birdies and missed two 8' birdie putts - one on a 200 yard par 3. It was an interesting day.

Bill

My Swing Thread

On 9/17/2021 at 1:47 PM, billchao said:

It’s probably the same as it’s always been. I have a range swing and a course swing. The course swing is just a little bit longer and a little less mechanically sound - just enough to cause bigger variations in the resulting shot.

I’ve always had the mentality of make good swings and good results will follow, but I think I need more of a make the ball do what you want it to attitude. I feel like I have to shape the shot, even if it’s my stock shot. It’s about the mental focus. Deliberate action. I need to hit it to my target because that’s what I want to do with it, not because I’m hoping it would end up there.

I’m not sure if I’m explaining that well, TBH.

I think it might be simpler than that. 

How often do you check your alignment? I wasn't paying close attention to this, but I noticed a few times on the SV trip that you were lined up nowhere near your target. That will lead to a big miss, as either you will hit the ball towards your alignment or your brain will try to compensate and you'll hit some really wild shots. I would spend a few minutes next time you're at the range just working on aligning to the target.

Also, have you committed to a shot shape? There were times where you were debating between a draw and a fade on the SV trip. Don't do that. Find one shot and always hit that shot. If you can do that, your miss might turn into a one-way miss, which will help you get better. Do not try to hit the other shot unless you absolutely have to. I would recommend the stick drill next time you're at the range. Put a stick in the ground 20 feet in front of your target line. Have the ball start on one side of the stick and curve back towards the stick. 

I'm really not sure it's a range vs. course swing issue. Your swing looked pretty good on the course.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

• Administrator

Full agreement with Dan.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, DeadMan said:

How often do you check your alignment?

Almost never. I don’t go to the driving range. I could say that I’ll change that, but I’d be lying.

Also, have you committed to a shot shape? There were times where you were debating between a draw and a fade on the SV trip.

I wasn’t debating over the shot shape, I didn’t know which direction the ball was going to turn. There’s a difference 😃

I’ve pretty much committed to hitting a fade. Slight push is fine which tends to be my miss more often than a pull.

I'm really not sure it's a range vs. course swing issue. Your swing looked pretty good on the course.

I’ve never taken a swing video on the course that looks anywhere near what I’m doing at home. There’s definitely a difference.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I agree, the swing looked good at SV. I agree with the losing focus on some minor details we take for granted sometimes. There are times I will find a line, start thinking about something and forget were I wanted to aim. The number of times I find people aiming way left or right because the tee box points them there is mind boggling.

Play a few rounds were you have a mental checklist, or try to commit to a pre-shot routine with focusing on alignment. 

2 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’ve never taken a swing video on the course that looks anywhere near what I’m doing at home. There’s definitely a difference.

If you are just hitting shots at the range to hit good shots, I doubt there is a difference. If you are focusing on making swing changes (exaggeration), then there will be a difference. Still, there is no difference unless you have video evidence. Schrodinger's Golf Swing 😛 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: