IGNORED

When a startup and a multinational golf company collide

nevets88
Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ping has an app called PING® (with the registered trademark symbol) on the app store. Not sure if the official name is PING or PING®.

From the article:

IM-style email app Ping is now called Hop after a naming dispute – with a golf club company

Ping, the app that reimagines email as an IM-style activity (read our full review) has today relaunched under the name Hop after receiving a cease-and-desist letter from the maker of Ping golf clubs.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2013/10/17/im-style-email-app-ping-renamed-hop-naming-dispute-golf-club-company/?awesm=tnw.to_i0jC3&utm;_medium=Spreadus&utm;_campaign=social%20media&utm;_source=Twitter

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I actually remember hearing about the Ping app launching and thinking, "huh. Wonder if Ping golf knows about this."

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

As an app developer I can understand why Ping would want them to change their name. One of the major contributors to app store rankings is app name.  Ping won't want any competition being at the top of the list when someone searches Ping.

PhotoCaddy golf app is designed to save all of your golf experiences and memories for you and keep them at your fingertips. The app will record golf courses, dates, group members, and photos. It plots a map with all the golf courses you’ve played, then displays all of the information you’ve saved inside each pin on the map. 

Find out more at www.PhotoCaddyGolf.com

Get it on Android here

Get it on iPhone here

I'm thinking of The Hunt for Red October .

One ping only please. Captain? One ping. PING!

When I think ping, the first thing I think of is submarines.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

I certainly understand Ping's position.  To begin with, there is already a computer "app" or perhaps "function" called "ping" that the golf company obviously didn't complain about when it came along (probably with the advent of UNIX and the internet?).  And now Ping does have their own iPing app out there.  As PCaddy says, they don't want their name pushed down the list.  You can pretty much bet nobody's going to get away with naming their application Apple either.

Driver: Titleist 913 D2 10.5*, Aldila RIP Phenom 50

Fairway 1: Titleist 913F, 17*, Titleist Bassara W55

Fairway 2: Titleist 913F, 21*, Titleist Bassara W55

Irons: Titleist AP1 714 5-PW, Aerotech Steelfiber i95

Wedges: SCOR 4161 48/52/56/60, Genius 9

Grips: GolfPride New Decade Red Mid-size on all of the above.

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 - Super Stroke Slim 3.0

Ping golf has lawyers and money,  Ping IM app developer likely has neither.

It doesn't cost that much to do a copyright search.  The app developer could have easily done a google search.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

It doesn't cost that much to do a copyright search.  The app developer could have easily done a google search.

I bet the app developer thought they were not infringing upon Ping® because it was involved in a completely different line of business. At the same time, Ping has developed apps and as a result, they will meet in the same line - an app. And so the same name may confuse and mislead the public into thinking Ping is Ping® (Golf)

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I'm not sure you would have needed to copyright search Ping.  It is a huge name.  They were either naive or not too bright.

It is a trademark search.

And you are correct. I must call other small companies all the time to ask them to change their name because it interferes with my client's trademark. I try the phone call, then the soft letter explaining copyrights and why their name interferes with my client's trademark, and if that does not work, they get the nasty "cease and desist" letter.

What happens is that small companies don't like to hire lawyers and think because the State authorized their legal name as a company, that they can use it in the marketplace.

Uh, no.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I was thinking more along the lines of litigation and motions, a company as big as ping cold litterally drain a company dry of $$ if they wanted to fight it. Basically its posturing by the legal team forces the little guy to back down.

I was thinking more along the lines of litigation and motions, a company as big as ping cold litterally drain a company dry of $$ if they wanted to fight it. Basically its posturing by the legal team forces the little guy to back down.

or just maybe, the big guy is right and The little guy should not be using their trademark

or just maybe, the big guy is right and The little guy should not be using their trademark

Yep.  Why is the assumption that just because one is big and the other small, that the little guy is right?

A better title for the thread would have been, "What happens when a startup company fails to do their basic due diligence"........

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 3828 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!