IGNORED

I am so frustrated and want to quit golf

golftlist
Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

8 minutes ago, Lihu said:

I have a distant cousin who tried it and even forced me to go to the driving range a few times long before I was into playing. I found it stupid and not worth my time, but did it just to keep him company. He never got the hang of it, quit then 6 years later my kids got into it and my archery range virtually shut down so I started playing golf with them.

My cousin hates it just like you, and I started out thinking this is the dumbest activity ever made but now enjoy it.

You never know what’s in your future, just take a break from it. We’ll be here, or, at least some of us. :-)

Thanks Lihu..I dont hate it, I just dont have fun playing ...so the interest isnt there any longer...I am still a golf fan..just not a player..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well what can I say. When I started I really didn't care enough to even quit. As I got better I had less tolerance for stupid bad swings that creep in and I want to quit more often than not.

I'm gonna get grill for this but, be it and please don't take this the wrong way...my advice to you...is Quit while it doesn't mean much to you. After investing time and money and trying almost everything you'll find that what you learned might just be enough to get you going and get better...well may be, just may be. But then it will be much harder to quit.

Golf is not for everyone. I don't think is for me but I'm too freaking deep in it now. 

I think the way to look at is this. All humans are born equipped to play games. In that most of us have arms, legs, shoulders, feet you get the picture. So why can't we swing a club like the top pro's do? Because after all that's where most of us get the inspiration to play a sport from. We watch them play and think "God that looks so fun and easy." Then you go and try it yourself and then you suddenly realise "Oh this isn't so easy after all." I disagree with people who say that golf is a very hard game. Nonsense. It's no harder or anymore difficult then tennis,badminton,bowling,cricket don't care what sport you name. They all take certain traits and skills to play well. So why can't we play like the pro's? Simple, because their golfing brain works differently to yours or mine. If you could see what a top pro's brain is doing when they swing you would see something truly amazing. Signals being sent at the right time with perfect timing etc. And most importantly they have ability that can't be taught no matter how good the instruction. Now don't get me wrong I never took up golf because I dreamed I could be Tiger Woods or Jack Nicklaus, I took it up because I thought it would be a fun and enjoyable sport. For me it wasn't in the end and I do feel sad about that. I wish all of you luck though, because somehow your gift is being able to enjoy the game. I still like golf, watching it will always be great for me. But I hate playing it..... 

17 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

@scopek

Your in Michigan, get together sometime with @jonma , he is up there somewhere..

Thanks for the offer! I'm actually in Maryland now. I really miss Ann Arbor and Michigan. One of the best places I've lived. Great state. 

Brands I use:

:tmade::cobra: :titleist: 

On 10/19/2017 at 4:01 AM, Kevinwelland said:

I disagree with people who say that golf is a very hard game. Nonsense. It's no harder or anymore difficult then tennis,badminton,bowling,cricket don't care what sport you name. They all take certain traits and skills to play well.

I disagree with this statement. You are correct that each sport takes certain traits and skills to play well, thats a no brainer. If you gave me a month to practice bowling with a top coach every single day compared to a month of practicing golf every single day with a top coach, I guarantee you I would be closer to a professional bowler in terms of average score and the amount of which I improved over that month than I would be compared to a professional golfer. Golf is hard. 

Its easier to roll a 300 in bowling than it is to shoot 18 under for a round. Its easier to take a handoff in football and run forward and try not to get tackled than it is to drive a golf ball 250 yards down the middle consistently. Its easier to shoot a free throw than it is to make a 5 foot putt. The top 3 point shooters in the NBA make just over 40% of their attempts. The best PGA tour golfers made approx. 40% of their putts from 10-15 feet. That means the best players in the world make more 3 point shots (23+ feet in distance) in games with defenses guarding them, while jumping up into the air than the top golfers make putts that are only 10-15 feet long with no defense, very minimal body movement, etc.

The ball doesnt move in golf, yet it is still very difficult. No defense trying to tackle you, no defender trying to block your shot, no pitch speed or pitch location to account for, yet it is still difficult to excel at golf. Trying to control a face angle within one degree while swinging a club over 100mph is hard. Much harder than tackling someone in football. Harder than throwing a ball to first base from a ground ball in the infield. Much harder than catching a fly ball in the outfield. 

Golf is very hard. 

Last point on this topic, if golf is so easy, why did you quit and stop playing? If it is so easy of a sport to play that means anyone should be able to excel at it, correct? 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :tmade: TP5x

16 minutes ago, klineka said:

I disagree with this statement. You are correct that each sport takes certain traits and skills to play well, thats a no brainer. If you gave me a month to practice bowling with a top coach every single day compared to a month of practicing golf every single day with a top coach, I guarantee you I would be closer to a professional bowler in terms of average score and the amount of which I improved over that month than I would be compared to a professional golfer. Golf is hard. 

Its easier to roll a 300 in bowling than it is to shoot 18 under for a round. Its easier to take a handoff in football and run forward and try not to get tackled than it is to drive a golf ball 250 yards down the middle consistently. Its easier to shoot a free throw than it is to make a 5 foot putt. The top 3 point shooters in the NBA make just over 40% of their attempts. The best PGA tour golfers made approx. 40% of their putts from 10-15 feet. That means the best players in the world make more 3 point shots (23+ feet in distance) in games with defenses guarding them, while jumping up into the air than the top golfers make putts that are only 10-15 feet long with no defense, very minimal body movement, etc.

The ball doesnt move in golf, yet it is still very difficult. No defense trying to tackle you, no defender trying to block your shot, no pitch speed or pitch location to account for, yet it is still difficult to excel at golf. Trying to control a face angle within one degree while swinging a club over 100mph is hard. Much harder than tackling someone in football. Harder than throwing a ball to first base from a ground ball in the infield. Much harder than catching a fly ball in the outfield. 

Golf is very hard. 

Last point on this topic, if golf is so easy, why did you quit and stop playing? If it is so easy of a sport to play that means anyone should be able to excel at it, correct? 

must be real easy..you have a 10 index...:whistle:

11 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

must be real easy..you have a 10 index...:whistle:

I'm not quite sure whether that is supposed to be a compliment or an insult.

1 minute ago, klineka said:

a lil compliment on being a good player..was just casting a lighthearted view on the previous post..didnt mean to offend you..my apology..have a good weekend..

5 minutes ago, klineka said:

Probably a compliment @klineka When I started playing golf even people who could break 100 were accomplished golfers to me. So I know how the OP feels. I still remember!

11 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

a lil compliment on being a good player..was just casting a lighthearted view on the previous post..didnt mean to offend you..my apology..have a good weekend..

no worries. Thanks for the compliment. Sometimes its hard to distinguish between sincerity and sarcasm via the internet.

9 minutes ago, Kalnoky said:

Probably a compliment @klineka When I started playing golf even people who could break 100 were accomplished golfers to me. So I know how the OP feels. I still remember!

I still remember those feelings as well. I remember adding up my scores and any day that I broke 120 was a great day. 

I can certainly say I didnt become a 10 hcp overnight nor was I born with that ability. It has taken me 10+ years to get to where I am today.

Edited by klineka

that just amplifies how bad of a loser I am at golf...in 10+ years I have not improved at all...some people have it, and some of us wont ever get it..

On 10/20/2017 at 1:08 PM, klineka said:

Golf is very hard. 

I used to have this same belief... that golf is harder than other sports. Certainly for me, it's harder than any other sport I've tried to learn. 

That said, other than a few other recreational sports (bowling, darts, competition shooting...) I can't think of many where it's as easy to quantify success or failure.

I can list skills in the sports I learned as a kid that the average person may not be able to do. Football in particular seemed to be one I had some natural talent. But that was against regular guys. Against a guy with instinct or skill and true 4.5 speed and I suddenly sucked. Sure I could go up, stretch out and make a one-handed catch over the middle, then make a cut-back move and score against a few average joes in a leisurely game of tackle football. I could do that all day long and tell myself I'm pretty good at this. But the reality is I'm only going to attempt that once against a D1 safety who's really trying.

In golf, assessment is very close to black and white. Score low on an easy course and your performance is adjusted. Same with a large sample of rounds. There's little subjectivity involved and that's just not the case with many other recreational sports.

I'll agree with you that the angled club head certainly complicates things for those of us who grew up hitting balls with baseball bats and tennis racquets. But as poor as I am at golf, I would be so much worse if I tried to learn ice hockey at 50.

On 10/20/2017 at 1:57 PM, Hiway1tele said:

some people have it, and some of us wont ever get it..

It's a popular assumption that someone struggling to get to bogey golf isn't practicing correctly and hasn't had the right instruction. Sure, we can always get better at those things. But IMO, it's an oversimplification.

Regardless of proper practice and good instruction, most scratch players don't have the potential to be on tour. Most 12's who have worked properly for years to get where they are don't have the potential to reach scratch. So why is it hard to imagine those of us who are stuck at 100 in spite of proper practice and a good amount of knowledge will never get to the low teens?

There are certain attributes needed to move up to the next level. I've played against guys who fail miserably at some of the keys, yet they will beat the tar out of me every time. Same with the elderly player who never makes mistakes despite driving the ball only 150 yds. Those guys have something I don't.

I talked to my Son's former high school golf coach a few times recently. He argued with me when I told him I can't break 90. He'd seen me play/practice and just refused to believe it.

Then he tells me that despite playing only a few times a year and rarely practicing, he knows he's going to break 80 every time he gets out.:doh:

We all get into this game because we think improvement will come - and it does for most. But when it doesn't, we have three options... 1) we can either beat our heads against the wall trying to get better,  2) accept our fate and enjoy it for what it is, or, 3) find other activities that better suit our abilities.

For me, the first option is insanity. Life is too short.

Jon

Golf is easier and more fun if your mind doesn't get cluttered with crap from the start or ever really.

People needlessly over complicate and focus on the wrong things that won't help them.

Its not that tough to swing a club if you are given a good intent.  The mantra on this site is that golf is practically impossible and I disagree.

Its never been a game for everyone.

17 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

The mantra on this site is that golf is practically impossible and I disagree.

It's "Golf is hard", stop making your own words up.

It's not even a mantra, just what is written in LSW that a lot of us agree with.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

It's a popular assumption that someone struggling to get to bogey golf isn't practicing correctly and hasn't had the right instruction. Sure, we can always get better at those things. But IMO, it's an oversimplification.

Regardless of proper practice and good instruction, most scratch players don't have the potential to be on tour. Most 12's who have worked properly for years to get where they are don't have the potential to reach scratch. So why is it hard to imagine those of us who are stuck at 100 in spite of proper practice and a good amount of knowledge will never get to the low teens?

I think some people who get to a certain level have trouble understanding why other people can't do it as well.

They understood what kept them from getting under 100 and assume that other people should be able to solve it the same way.

Some people could be chugging away shooting pars and bogies then suddenly an 11. What happened? "Heck if I know?" is a typical response and bad shots happen and a string of bad shots can also happen.

If they have an instructor, the first thing he'd as is why. If the golfer responds with "I have no idea." it's totally natural for the instructor to slap his forehead.

The fact is, whether it's mental, or otherwise, bad golf does happen. It happens to pros less, but it does happen.

I can image someone shooting a bunch of pars and bogies then have 3 or 4 big blowup holes leading to a 100+ score. Why did it happen? Is it easy to fix? IDK. Is the mental game easy to fix? Is anger easy to fix? Even if you manage to hold in that anger externally, it probably still simmers in your brain and you end up possibly doing really dumb things. Or not, it could just be one bad lie to another bad lie?

I remember that one particular course had 5 bunkers, and I ended up in all 5 of them. Was it stupidity? Probably, but what can I do about it now? My current game gets me over 4 of the bunkers and equal in distance to the last one on the other side of the hole, so it's an easy short hole for me, but if I lost 60 to 70 yards of my driving distance, it would be a nightmare hole. I even remember when it was a nightmare for me.

So, shooting over 100 doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong, but are you at the best possible performance you can be? If you feel that way, then just sit back and enjoy the game.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

There are certain attributes needed to move up to the next level. I've played against guys who fail miserably at some of the keys, yet they will beat the tar out of me every time. Same with the elderly player who never makes mistakes despite driving the ball only 150 yds. Those guys have something I don't.

I talked to my Son's former high school golf coach a few times recently. He argued with me when I told him I can't break 90. He'd seen me play/practice and just refused to believe it.

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, but a good swing and hitting far doesn't automatically mean low scores.

I'm not sure what they have that you don't, but could it be experience? I know a lot of 75+ year old golfers who've been playing since they were in their 20s and one of them since he was 4. They hit that well because their games were scratch level in their 20s to 60s.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

Then he tells me that despite playing only a few times a year and rarely practicing, he knows he's going to break 80 every time he gets out.:doh:

He's a coach, and played to a really good level at one point. He probably shot in the low 70s in his peak so breaking 80 is still bad golf for him.

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

We all get into this game because we think improvement will come - and it does for most. But when it doesn't, we have three options... 1) we can either beat our heads against the wall trying to get better,  2) accept our fate and enjoy it for what it is, or, 3) find other activities that better suit our abilities.

For me, the first option is insanity. Life is too short.

I've picked 2. If I get better fine, if I don't also fine

I do other things now, and prefer to do those things instead even though I have more time now. At one point, for 3 years I played 1 or 2 rounds a day and did all the dad stuff and worked 10 hours a day. I had 3-4 hours of sleep. What a terrible obsession I had then. Now I enjoy playing to whatever level I do (low 80s for the last 2.5 rounds plus 8 over on a par 3 course) and they were truly fun rounds. Did I enjoy the +18 on 11 hole rounds that happened to me for 8 rounds? Yes, I did. I really did. Do I enjoy shooting 12 strokes better than that? Yes, I do. Do I care? Somewhat, but like you said life is too short to worry about it.

Golf is supposed to be fun. For me, the challenge of "Can I get better." is over. I think this is the best I can do without spending huge amounts of time and money on it.

Just like archery. I was consistently shooting 275 scores on 30 arrow ends then 240s on occasion. It pissed off my coach at the time every time I'd shoot 240, but without getting into the extreme technology and costs of the top of the line equipment I'd always have one outlier arrow and a few in the blue.

I feel like I'm at that stage in golf as well. I hit as far as I can with my current equipment, do I see a high flying spinner drive every now and then? Yes, I do. Can I fix it by buying a new driver with a fitting? Yes, I could. Could I get more appropriate shafts for my irons? Probably. Is it worth it just to score a couple strokes lower? Probably not.

Like you said, life is too short.

• Upvote 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Everybody wants to be better at this game. if someone says, "I really do not care, I just want to get and enjoy the game" is only lying to themselves. There are plateaus. Age plays a factor. Then there is the mental side.

I have seen some improvement over the past year, but simply have lost distance. I just have to accept the fact, that I am not going to hit the ball as far as I did a few years ago. It seems to be exponential in that over the age of 70, it seems to progress at  a more rapid rate than one might expect. That being said, my short game is adequate, and there are days when I shine in that department.

Now for the mental, here is an example.  The other morning, I needed to get out of the house to clear my head owing to some family related stress and strife.  I arrived at the golf course with what I thought to be a clear head and told myself I was going to enjoy the day away from all the stress.  Well, my "self" wasn't having it.  From the first tee, horrible duck hook. Reloaded and fire again, This time a slice and OB right.  Okay, time to slow down, concentrate. Third attempt, ball went straight down the middle, but barely made it 100 yards. It got progressively worse, each swing became a mystery swing. If there were a lake or pond between me and the hole, even if not in line, my ball would find it. If there were a bunker anywhere in the vicinity, I would find it, taking 3 or 4 swats to get out.  Finally after four holes of this, I packed it in and went home.

I played again a week later and shot an 81.  I have not broken 80 this year, but have come close several times. I may not make it, but do have solace in the fact that 18 months or so ago, I did twice.  Currently, anything in the 90's is fine and I am not expecting much more. Those few mid 80's are just icing. If I live long enough, I WILL shoot my age. (75 now). err....maybe yes,maybe no. 

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!