IGNORED

Winter Depression Thread

smellysell

2 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

For our golfing brethren up north, we stand with you against the cold and await the return of good weather:

IMG_0437.JPG

2 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Now you're just being mean...  That's still great golfing weather.

You got that right! We played in worse than on Tuesday, plus we got soaked and froze on #8 and #9 when a rain squall moved through. Then, when we were in the clubhouse warming up around the wood stove, yes, that's right, a Franklin wood stove, the sky cleared and the sun came out! I immediately ran outside and did the "lizard on a hot rock" routine, turning myself toward the sun to suck up every ray!

My partner and I had determined to bag it after nine, but after some needling by the "feminine force" (those ladies could be storm troopers!), we signed up for the back nine and promised them a proper butt whupping, which we administered!

Still, 18 holes of golf were played two days after Christmas in NE Ohio, and that's a sort of victory in it's own right! It felt good to be out there again. There are courses that stay open year round here, weather permitting, and we take full advantage.

To get back to the spirit of the OP, my Mom would bemoan the short days of Winter. I'd try to buck up her spirits, which led to a little tradition. Every Winter Solstice, I'd call my Mom and tell her that from this day forward, for 6 solid months, the days would be getting longer!

For those of us above the Tropic of Cancer, this is good news indeed!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When the snow melts...

20161229_131249.jpg

- adam -

Routine: work, eat, golf, sleep, repeat

Clubs: (All Used TaylorMade) Burner Superfast Driver, JetSpeed 3&5 FW, Rescue Hybrid, Burner 2.0 Irons 5-AW, ATV Wedge 56*, White Ghost blade putter

12 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

For our golfing brethren up north, we stand with you against the cold and await the return of good weather:

IMG_0437.JPG

How will they survive?:~(

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

18 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

How will they survive?:~(

Staying inside wrapped up in heavy blankets. 

We're going to disney today. Hoping for small crowds due to the extreme cold. 

- Shane

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Staying inside wrapped up in heavy blankets. 

We're going to disney today. Hoping for small crowds due to the extreme cold. 

Six months in FL and you've already become a weather weenie! What's next, sweaters when it hits the 60s?:-P

Scott

My Swing Thread

4 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

Six months in FL and you've already become a weather weenie! What's next, sweaters when it hits the 60s?:-P

I was referring to the rest of the population down here. I will probably wear a hoodie today though. High of 60. Brrrrrrr. 

- Shane

12 hours ago, dennyjones said:

Now you're just being mean...  That's still great golfing weather.

Yeah. This is exactly correct. You Florida guys have obviously had that heat down there fry your brains. 59-degrees is PERFECT, 

As for our reality, 40-degrees tomorrow. Definitely playable, but not ideal. Hell, I'm up for it anyway.

12 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I was referring to the rest of the population down here. I will probably wear a hoodie today though. High of 60. Brrrrrrr. 

:-)

Scott

My Swing Thread

Winter Depression when I get back from Florida.  Although it's supposed to be 60 on Tuesday

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

14 hours ago, Gator Hazard said:

But  don't worry, golf is only a couple months away. Or you can drive on down for a round. 

I have a count down on the frig! 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

12 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

Hell! That's short sleeve weather up here right now!

Got out today. Beautiful day for December. In the low 60s, a bit of wind, but nothing too terrible. 

Going to be high of 20s all next week with snow though, so that's it for golf for a while.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

I went to the range yesterday, 35F and windy. I wasn't cold on the heated tee, but it was visually like hitting onto arctic tundra.

Scott

My Swing Thread

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

tmp_26567-20161230_070317-1523836577.jpg

14" on top of the 10 still on the ground...

Ours all melted.   If it's going to be cold, send that stuff our way. 

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 3/1/2014 at 2:39 AM, boogielicious said:

That's awesome @BuckeyeNut !

I do have a bowling story.  When I was in 9th grade I was in a Candlepin bowling league with my friends.  Candlepins are the small pins and we use a small ball.  I was an average bowler with a score around 90-100.  I was having a bit of trouble in school at the time and it was suggested that I get my eyes examined.  Sure enough, I needed glasses.

The next round at the bowling league I shot the league high single of 151.  I had five strikes in a row, which is tough in Candlepin.  My best friend at the time was more excited than me.  My grades also improved immensely because I could actually see the blackboard!  I got a nice trophy at the end of the season.

Addendum to the story:  Fast forward six years. I am a junior in engineering school looking for a summer internship.  I am interviewing with a Procter & Gamble recruiter.  He asks the usual questions and then asks the following:

"Up to this point in your life, what has been your greatest achievement?"

Without hesitation I answer, "I won a bowling trophy in 9th grade."

He laughed so hard, he hired me.

I still have the trophy.

My Dad was a professional candlepin bowler in Maine, my grandfather is in the candlepin bowling Hall of Fame, I grew up in bowling alley's most of my life until i moved away.  Spent many a years at the Bangor-brewer bowling lanes, five strikes in a row in candlepin is definitely tough.  I've bowled thousands of strings, never had more than 3 in a row.

Edit-Just noticed this was from 2014. :~(

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones