IGNORED

The KyleAnthony Golf Opera Thread

KyleAnthony
Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I agree that the rough is less of a factor with longer tee shots that get closer to the greens, and I have been on some courses where the rough was so high and thick that it had to be avoided at all costs, but that's not typical. BTW. :-D  I have never said how far I typically hit my driver. Not going down that road. :whistle:

Ah, but you hinted at it on another thread. I don't remember everyone's stats, but I do build a mental profile of the people whom I communicate most frequently. Kind of like physical or facial features when you meet someone in person. ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Quote:

Originally Posted by MS256

I agree that the rough is less of a factor with longer tee shots that get closer to the greens, and I have been on some courses where the rough was so high and thick that it had to be avoided at all costs, but that's not typical.

BTW.  I have never said how far I typically hit my driver. Not going down that road.

Ah, but you hinted at it on another thread. I don't remember everyone's stats, but I do build a mental profile of the people whom I communicate most frequently. Kind of like physical or facial features when you meet someone in person.

Uhuh,  I agree with you Lihu.  I was thinking similar, in regards to MS256's driving distance.

On topic, the rough at my home course is rarely very penal.  Depending on the area, it does not make much difference at all.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Uhuh,  I agree with you Lihu.  I was thinking similar, in regards to MS256's driving distance.

On topic, the rough at my home course is rarely very penal.  Depending on the area, it does not make much difference at all.

When you post a lot things slip out. ;-)

There are plenty of courses like that in our area as well, but the slope ratings would not be in the 125 to 135 range. Many courses with ratings above 125-ish have really bad "rough" (OB when 10 feet off the fairway).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

QFT. This statement should be preserved, maybe as a bumper sticker.   Right along with "You're not good enough to get that angry at a bad shot." NOT just for Kyle, but for a LOT of us......

I adopted this mentality a few years ago, and it's allowed me to have fun playing golf. It's amazing how much your expectations can really affect your enjoyment of the game.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I'm not much of a stats guy but I think you are putting way more importance on hitting fairways in relation to GIR than anything I've seen, by a long ways.

Of course it depends on the course and how penal the rough is, how badly the fairways are missed, and how much trouble there is on the course.

My main objective off of the tee is to stay out of trouble (hazards, OB, and places where I don't have legitimate second shot). Fairways? Meh. It's great if I hit them but not a big deal if I don't.

I wouldn't say that I intentionally miss any fairways but lets just say that if there's trouble down the right or left I cheat toward the other side, miss the fairway fairly often, and I'm completely satisfied with that miss.

Agreed.

How far you are missing fairways plays a part as well.  If I miss 10 fairways, but 8 of them are only by 10' or so, this is not such a hindrance to hitting GIR.

I think the course you're playing makes more of a difference than anything.  Some are pretty wide open.  I can go to Haggin Oaks and miss fairways all day and still hit a good amount of greens.  If I miss fairways at Ancil Hoffman, I'll be lucky to make bogey, let alone hit the green in regulation.

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Ok as far as the missing the fairway. If the ball is literally an inch from the fairway in the rough I count it as a missed fairway. I wasn't frustrated with my round overall. Just off the tee. My penalty shots were off the tee and they we're push slices. Yesterday I played the Norman course from the blues and it was more of the same. I was happy with my irons and putting and chipping. Put off the tee I had 8 penalty strokes and hit 3 fairways. I hit 6 greens again and 31 putts. I shot a 99 and it was beyond frustrating. So I think I'm going to take the rest of the month off from playing golf and just stick to the range. I went to the range before my round and practiced my drills and at the end I practiced my driver and 3 wood and they were working well until I got to the course. So I'll probably go to the range tomorrow and post a video on my swing thread to see if I've fallen back into old habits or still headed in the right direction

For Sale: Ping i3+ 2i-UW

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Odyssey Versa Black/White LH Putter

Ok as far as the missing the fairway. If the ball is literally an inch from the fairway in the rough I count it as a missed fairway. I wasn't frustrated with my round overall. Just off the tee. My penalty shots were off the tee and they we're push slices. Yesterday I played the Norman course from the blues and it was more of the same. I was happy with my irons and putting and chipping. Put off the tee I had 8 penalty strokes and hit 3 fairways. I hit 6 greens again and 31 putts. I shot a 99 and it was beyond frustrating. So I think I'm going to take the rest of the month off from playing golf and just stick to the range. I went to the range before my round and practiced my drills and at the end I practiced my driver and 3 wood and they were working well until I got to the course. So I'll probably go to the range tomorrow and post a video on my swing thread to see if I've fallen back into old habits or still headed in the right direction

Usually those one inch off the fairway shots are the most painful to hit.

16 strokes (8 penalty and the 'second' shot) from water and OB? Was it mainly from trying to use driver too much? BTW, 31 putts is pretty phenomenal.

Same here, about spending more time on the range.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Usually those one inch off the fairway shots are the most painful to hit. 16 strokes (8 penalty and the 'second' shot) from water and OB? Was it mainly from trying to use driver too much? BTW, 31 putts is pretty phenomenal. Same here, about spending more time on the range.

They were both water and OB. 3 were OB, 3 were water 2 were in a bush had to take unplayable. Ya I was happy with outta. My chipping was pretty good I think I had 4 putts within 1 foot due to chipping. I did have 1 3 putt. On the range before the round I was doing my drills and then at the end tried to do it in slow motion with my 3 wood and driver. They were looking great on the range. Nice baby draws and not terrible distance. Maybe 20 yards shorter. First tee I hit my 3 wood and it was a nice baby draw about 240 yards out. Then I hit a nice 8 iron 155 to the green missed my 7 foot putt for birdie. Tapped in for par. Then it was all down hill from there. I was very happy with my irons the other day tho. Hit 2 shanks but one I pitched and made par so I'll be on the range a couple times a week. One bucket drills. Small bucket 3 wood and driver

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Went to the range today. Worked on irons and it went great until I worked on punch shots lol. 6 shanks in a row oops. So I'll work on that tomorrow and post up a video on my swing thread. It was cloudy so I couldn't see my 3 wood and driver shots

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Went to the range today. Worked on irons and it went great until I worked on punch shots lol. 6 shanks in a row oops. So I'll work on that tomorrow and post up a video on my swing thread. It was cloudy so I couldn't see my 3 wood and driver shots

Ok, I gotta ask...... Why couldn't you see your driver and 3-wood shots because it was "cloudy"?

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Ok, I gotta ask...... Why couldn't you see your driver and 3-wood shots because it was "cloudy"?

You have to remember that it's all about making excuses.

I have to admit that this is one of the weirdest ones he's come up with that.

Point is, if you can't see it you can pretty much feel it.

Many is the time that a top PGA Tour player has gone to the range and been unable to hit anything longer than a 6 iron because it is "cloudy".

Absurd.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I've had this issue before where I lose the ball in the clouds occasionally. It happens to me mostly on days that are only partially cloudy (or cloudy only near the horizon) such that the clouds are a light enough hue to match with the golf ball.

That being said, you shouldn't emulate those aforementioned PGA Tour pros and not hit just because it's cloudy (unless Shorty was being sarcastic there). Even though you might occasionally lose the ball mid-flight, you can usually pick it back up when it lands on green grass to gather information about the shot. If you know where it started and where it ended, you can make a pretty good guess as to what happened in between when you factor in the feedback from how you feel you hit the shot.

I've had this issue before where I lose the ball in the clouds occasionally. It happens to me mostly on days that are only partially cloudy (or cloudy only near the horizon) such that the clouds are a light enough hue to match with the golf ball.

That being said, you shouldn't emulate those aforementioned PGA Tour pros and not hit just because it's cloudy (unless Shorty was being sarcastic there). Even though you might occasionally lose the ball mid-flight, you can usually pick it back up when it lands on green grass to gather information about the shot. If you know where it started and where it ended, you can make a pretty good guess as to what happened in between when you factor in the feedback from how you feel you hit the shot.

I was joking.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I agree with this. Depends on the clouds too. If the clouds are your typical clouds on a partly cloudy day its not too bad. Get an overcast rainy looking clouds are a bit tougher to pick up the ball sometimes. This is why I wear my sunglasses even when it is cloudy, I never miss a ball off the tee that way.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

@KyleAnthony , play in the outing. One spot left for you. I've tagged you twice. Go here: .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You have to remember that it's all about making excuses. I have to admit that this is one of the weirdest ones he's come up with that. Point is, if you can't see it you can pretty much feel it. Many is the time that a top PGA Tour player has gone to the range and been unable to hit anything longer than a 6 iron because it is "cloudy". Absurd.

Oh no!!! I must be getting "grumpy" too because that's plenty weird to me. ;-) I wear glasses for nearsightedness but sometimes I don't wear them when I'm just practicing. I might not be able to see exactly which leaf my ball rolled under but I can certainly see the ball fly and land, cloudy or not, and glasses or not. Even in fog with 100 yards visibility I can tell where the ball was going, how much it was curving, and where it likely ended up. Not picking up an occasional ball is one thing but not being able to see enough to practice???

Not picking up an occasional ball is one thing but not being able to see enough to practice???

I think he just meant that he can't comment on his 3w and driver shots because he couldn't really see where they went at all.. He still hit the balls too, at least that's what I understood from the post... My question would be is there any specific reason that Kyle was working on punch shots? Unless that's what Mike had him working on obviously, otherwise I would think that working on full shots and stock shot is a higher priority, then again I don't know what his priority piece is to comment on that!

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

i have an astigmatism and have a hard time seeing the ball very far out so by the time i look up i can't find it. that why most of my range sessions are at night so i can pick the ball up. it can be completely sunny out and i can't find the ball in the air. its always been that way...

@KyleAnthony , play in the outing. One spot left for you. I've tagged you twice. Go here: ​ .

i work may the 4th which is a sunday. i wish i could go but I'm just starting my new job at morongos golf course so i can't make it. but the next one i can request off for. i was hoping it was on saturday =/

I think he just meant that he can't comment on his 3w and driver shots because he couldn't really see where they went at all.. He still hit the balls too, at least that's what I understood from the post...

My question would be is there any specific reason that Kyle was working on punch shots? Unless that's what Mike had him working on obviously, otherwise I would think that working on full shots and stock shot is a higher priority, then again I don't know what his priority piece is to comment on that!

i hit a bucket doing drills and slow motion swings then a small bucket i hit a few 3 woods and drivers (which i couldn't see) and i thought i should just work on my 3/4 shots with wedges just to get some practice in. they are the shot I'm best at, but i didn't think practice would hurt.

Callaway X Hot Driver

Callaway FTI Driver

Note: This thread is 3676 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!