IGNORED

Paul Azinger - golf channel Academy

Note:Β This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammer 4

Well played Erik...well played..LOL

Bah, I just noticed that I was either autocorrected to "area" or made a typo. Grrrrr.

I'm proud of my hashtags, though.

Looks like you got his feathers ruffled.

Tyler Martin

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, I never figured so much would come of this thread. I couldn't imagine why ANYONE would want to do a GC Academy show if they knew that they'd receive this type of feedback. Hahaha... Did anyone see Gary Player's show? Did that have a bunch of "feel isn't real" advice as well? I'm guessing the professional on these shows (Azinger for this one) are asked to go over a bunch of different topics in a very short period of time. Maybe they don't have enough air time to actually elaborate on their thoughts?

I didn't see the full swing sessions, but I watched the first half of his putting special last night. Anyone else catch it?

The first part was about how he visualizes putting to a target on top of the green, which is nothing I'd ever considered. I know that one of my faults, especially under pressure, is that I get tentative, leave putts short, try to steer the ball, etc. I'm not really sure (without trying it) why he said putting to a bottle of water would help, other than maybe helping with pace since you're not worried about blowing it by the bottle. That contradicts what I always felt (from Harvey Penick) that I want the ball to die into the hole. Anyone try this or take anything different away?

The second part was this concept of white and black, with the divide being the line you're putting on. White would be anything above the line and black is below the line, and how it's very important to cross that line before you address the ball. Again, I felt like it was a bit of hocus pocus, but I'm hoping some of you guys with the aimpoint and other green reading experience would weigh in. I don't want to buy into something that's phooey.

I didn't see the rest of the show, but I'm very much into feel and visualization, probably because of my old fashioned Little Red Book upbringing. He seemed to be much more into that camp than what many of you guys are into.

Driver: Nike Covert Tour |Β 3W: Callaway X Hot Pro |Β Irons: Mizuno JPX-800 Pro X100 SSΒ |Β Wedges: Vokey SM 54-08, Vokey Raw 60-12 |Β Putter (of the week): Arnold Palmer "The Original" 33"

Black will always be on your right (right handed) and white will be on your left.

Hence, in the segment the break was right to left and after lining up the putt you are standing slightly in the black / right side (high side) you then walk up and approach your ball stepping from black to white.

However, if you line up a left to right putt you'll be standing in the white left (high side) so as you approach the ball you step over the line going into the black and then right before the ball you step across the line going black to right.

The important thing to remember is:

Line up putt standing in back of ball you will be standing slightly on the high side of the break

Black will always be on your right (right handed)

End up always from black (right) to white (left)

Hope this helps...I had to review this instructional several times until I understood this concept of "black to white".

I really enjoyed the "visual" approach to putting since it basically allows your brain (computer) to free flow and take over and you use your instinct to putt...a lot easier to cope with without going into "brain lock".

You don't have to keep your right elbow in front of your body but you don't want it getting way behind you.Β  Watching the "on the range" show on golf channel the day before a tournament I see a lot of pros practicing with a resistance band holding there elbows close together.Β  For righties this helps you get the feeling of keeping your right elbow close to your left elbow at A4 and then if you start your swing by sliding you left hip towards the target your hands will automatically drop into the slot.Β  I don't use resistance bands but when I swing at address I feel that I'm squeezing my elbows together and maintain that feeling throughout the backswing.

Lee Trevino made it the most clear IMHO;

Imagine a 2x4 extends straight out from the edge of each shoulder.Β  The hands should stay within the 2x4's.Β  Obviously as you rotate the torso, the 2x4's would ride along.Β  That covers Rory, Jack, and most everyone else.

There's a few Gumby exceptions (Kuchar) but not many.

Max Prokopy

University of Virginia

Did anyone see the Azinger short game segment? He really went against the grain with some his pitching techniques.

That said, I can't wait to try it!

Did anyone see the Azinger short game segment? He really went against the grain with some his pitching techniques.

Didn't see it, what's the quick summary on what he said?

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends onΒ Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap onΒ Twitter!Β  andΒ onΒ Facebook!Β 
Golf TerminologyΒ -Β Β AnalyzrΒ Β -Β Β My Facebook,Β TwitterΒ andΒ InstagramΒ 

Had it on in the background with no sound. I'm curious too, hope its not more gasoline for the fire in QuickieΒ Pitching Video thread. :doh:

Yours in earnest,Β Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks:Β :cleveland:Β 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5* Β :tmade:Β RBZ HL 3wΒ Β :nickent:Β 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H Β :callaway:Β X-22 5-AW Β :nike:SV tour 56* SWΒ :mizuno:Β MP-T11 60* LWΒ :bridgestone:Β customized TD-03 putterΒ :tmade:Penta TP3 Β Β :aimpoint:

I didn't see any of his long game stuff but, thought some of his short game stuff was good

Driver: Titleist 915 D3
3 wood: 15 Callaway X Hot pro
Hybrids:Β  18 Callaway X Hot Pro
Irons: 4-GW Callaway Apex
project x 6.0
Wedges: 54 , 58 Callaway
Putter: 2 ball
Ball: Callaway Chrome

I caught a little bit of it and from what I seen he was a big proponent of pitching and didn't like chipping. He said most amateurs will never get better because they chip and will only see their handicap drop when they start using the pitch shot more exclusively. He didn't use any data/stats/quantitative data to back up the claims. Just seemed it was his opinion that was being used as gospel. I didn't watch much more of it. I changed the channel.

- Jered

• Administrator

P.A. talked alot about letting the hands flip, at least what I saw, and he was in the sand.

Sounds a lot like what we've taught: .

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

He uses a longer back swing with little follow through. He opens the club face by tilting the shaft back to straight up and down.

Weight more on his right, yes, right side. Slow easy swing, just let arms drop back down, shaft returns to ball straight up and

down, hands are even or slightly behind ball at impact. Did not say anything about follow through other than there isn't much of one.

He also said it will feel almost like a decel. He emphasized a shallow path and club contacted the grass 3-4 inches behind the ball,

in light rough.

I haven't watched his segment on bunker play yet. I do remember him as a player being a magician out of the sand.

I watched Azinger in a 1 min+ chipping demo on youtube and he promotes an upright shaft for chipping,but I think his super strong grip forces this option.I'm not sure it would so well for a neutral grip.

"There is no reason to listen to me. I am merely voicing my opinion on certain aspects of golf mechanics that I have experimented with along with others I have read about and watched." - freedrop, on himself [Source]

User was banned February 22, 2014 for multiple violations.

• Administrator

He uses a longer back swing with little follow through. He opens the club face by tilting the shaft back to straight up and down.

Weight more on his right, yes, right side. Slow easy swing, just let arms drop back down, shaft returns to ball straight up and

down, hands are even or slightly behind ball at impact. Did not say anything about follow through other than there isn't much of one.

He also said it will feel almost like a decel. He emphasized a shallow path and club contacted the grass 3-4 inches behind the ball,

in light rough.

Would agree with all of that except where the weight is. Curious what his ball position is - you can get away with the weight back if the ball is back a little. But the rest is relatively solid. Of course, that's based on the description of it, as I didn't see it myself.

I watched Azinger in a 1 min+ chipping demo on youtube and he promotes an upright shaft for chipping,but I think his super strong grip forces this option.I'm not sure it would so well for a neutral grip.

That's backwards. Strong grips tend to have more shaft lean naturally.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Note:Β This thread is 3705 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!