IGNORED

Best laser rangefinder

Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone. Been toying with idea of laser rangefinder and gps watch and decided for similar money a laser rangefinder would be best!!!! Problem I've got now is picking between; Nikon coolshot Bushnell Or any others people can suggest!!

What's In My :: 9" Lightweight Stand Bag

R9 9.5 Degree Stiff Motore 65g
G10 3-Wood v2 Proforce High Launch Stiff
R7 Draw Rescue 3 + 4 Irons i15 green dot, + 1/2 inch- 5-PW 54+60 SM Tour Chrome Studio Style Newport 2 35 inch NXT Tour BallHome Course: http://www.ruffordpark.co.uk

You won't go wrong with any from a top manufacturer. I use a Leupold and 2 of my buddies use Bushnells. All are accurate, easy to use, and about the same price. If you look for an older model, like my GX-1, you can probably find one at a bit of a discount. I'd recommend staying away from any models that compensate for slope. They're not allowed for tournament use even if the committee allows the use of distance measuring devices in the tournament. BTW, you're gonna LOVE having a rangefinder!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

You won't go wrong with any from a top manufacturer. I use a Leupold and 2 of my buddies use Bushnells. All are accurate, easy to use, and about the same price. If you look for an older model, like my GX-1, you can probably find one at a bit of a discount. I'd recommend staying away from any models that compensate for slope. They're not allowed for tournament use even if the committee allows the use of distance measuring devices in the tournament. BTW, you're gonna LOVE having a rangefinder!

Was gonna say the same, any Leupold or Bushnell is gonna be good, but avoid the slopey ones! (The even numbered Leupolds, for one). I have the same one as David and am very happy with it (check my review) and a friend has Bushnell v3 which he loves as well.

What's the difference between the gx-1 and gx-1i?

~Justin

R11 9.5* w/Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
Taylormade 14* V-Steel w/ProLaunch Blue
Taylormade 16.5* V-Steel w/Aldila NV
Taylormade 21* V-Steel w/Dyanlite Gold S300
Mizuno MX 23 5-6 w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Mizuno MP 32 7-PW w/Rifel 5.5 SSx2
Callaway X-Forged 52*, 56*, 60*
Mizuno 0803 Custom Slighter

What's the difference between the gx-1 and gx-1i?

Newer version of the gx1. I don't know the specific differences. No slope and tournament legal

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 4 months later...

I've been shopping around. I didn't realize the ones with slope were banned for tournament use. I'm not a tournament golfer, but wondering if I should still shy away from the feature. It kinda had me :drool: .

- Shane

I've been shopping around. I didn't realize the ones with slope were banned for tournament use. I'm not a tournament golfer, but wondering if I should still shy away from the feature. It kinda had me .

Actually, there is a newer version of one of the Leupold's that has slope and is perfectly legal.  The original idea was that you take off the yellow plate and that disabled the slope function, but USGA said no-go because the slope function was still IN the unit, not in the plate.

So the newer version (not sure which one though, so be thorough in your research) has the actual function in the plate , such that when the plate is not attached, nothing at all to do with the slope function is part of the unit.

Seems like silly semantics, but that's how they got it to work.  I believe I learned that from @tristanhilton85 so I'll just page him to proofread my info. :beer:

I've been shopping around. I didn't realize the ones with slope were banned for tournament use. I'm not a tournament golfer, but wondering if I should still shy away from the feature. It kinda had me .

I own a bushnellv2 slope and it is a nice feature to have on hilly courses, if you don't have slopes more than 5* it's really kind of useless IMO.  I also own a Garmin S1 for tournament rounds, I know someone will probably chastise me but I turn off the feature for casual rounds even though it's not completely legit I know I'm not using it. The only time I'll use it is when it's a practice round that I'm hitting many shots over and want to make notes on the yardage book.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Actually, there is a newer version of one of the Leupold's that has slope and is perfectly legal.  The original idea was that you take off the yellow plate and that disabled the slope function, but USGA said no-go because the slope function was still IN the unit, not in the plate. So the newer version (not sure which one though, so be thorough in your research) has the actual function in the plate , such that when the plate is not attached, nothing at all to do with the slope function is part of the unit. Seems like silly semantics, but that's how they got it to work.  I believe I learned that from @tristanhilton85 so I'll just page him to proofread my info. :beer:

That would be the GX-4i2

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

If you want a perfectly functional and compact model, pick up a used Bushnell Yardage Pro Tour on ebay for about $100.

I've had mine for 5 years, and it's still among the best golf purchases I've ever made.

I was just looking at these things on the Dick's website a couple hours ago.  I'd like to have one but wow.. $300 is gonna be a hard pill for me to swallow.

I was just looking at these things on the Dick's website a couple hours ago.  I'd like to have one but wow.. $300 is gonna be a hard pill for me to swallow.

I agree. Most of them are so damn expensive. I could buy a new set of mid grade irons or a used set of higher grade irons for that price.

James

I agree. Most of them are so damn expensive. I could buy a new set of mid grade irons or a used set of higher grade irons for that price.

Bear in mind that most GPS units require a membership fee, so when you look at the cost of the GPS plus several years of membership, you are above the cost of a laser. When I was shopping, Dick's seemed to have the higher cost on comparable units. I ended up buying mine through Amazon. Here was a unit that was more bare bones and not terribly expensive. It had some good reviews, but I spent a little more for the Nikkon unit.

I used it for the first time yesterday BTW and liked it. It took some getting used to, especially where I had a blind shot. I kept my GPS app running for those situations.

- Shane

I"ve got over 300 rounds on a Bushnell lazer - been rock solid so far.   Its indispensible ... the few times I've forgotten it, I've tanked - I'm so used to knowing yardage - it's hard to search for sprinklers, yardage markers & guess.    Other than a putter, its the one piece of golf equipment I won't play without - so to the poster above hesitant to spend the $$, once you get used to it, it'll be worth every penny

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

I agree that a laser is a valuable piece of equipment. I have a friend that has a gps watch but after seeing how I can measure most any place on the course he asks me for yardages. The laser is simple to use and works on any course and doesn't require updates, downloads, etc. it isn't as convienient as a gps watch but is as convienient as a pcket model gps (my Bushnell Z6 Jolt is small enough to easily fit in my pocket).

I recently purchased my very first laser rangefinder. The Laserlink White Magic. Golfsmith has them on sale right now for $129. Killer deal, well worth it.

I used it for the first time on Saturday, and it works great I love this thing.

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

Note: This thread is 3527 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!