IGNORED

does anyone still use a 2 iron?

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So i snagged a matching 2 iron for my titleist 735 cm's ...  I've been keeping my eye out for one, for a while now. and finally pulled the trigger....

But does anyone actually still use a 2 iron??    I did mess around with some 2-3-4 hybrids, but found that when i could actually hit my 3 - 4 irons well,, i started hitting my hybrids like crap lol

Plus I figured it'll give me a good iron to use on low punch shots and stuff....

anyways, i still have a atleast 6 weeks or so before i can hit some balls..... ty michigan weather lol

It is what it is

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hell no!

FWIW, I don't use persimmon woods any more either! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Hell no!

FWIW, I don't use persimmon woods any more either!

"That persimmon is garbage compared to my beachwood."

I find the old 2 irons are great as substitutes for walking sticks or canes.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Yes I do. It gets swapped out with a hybrid depending on the course and conditions. Realistically the hybrid is in the bag about 90% of the time. When the 2 is in the bag it really only gets used on the tee to hit a low running bullet.

I can hit my 17 degree hybrid low enough with practice that I don't need a 2 iron, and it goes farther than any 2 iron would. I can also get a lot of maximum yardage out of the 3i, especially off the tee, and the 2i is all but useless off the deck. There's a big difference between the 2 and 3 irons for me off the ground, and any imperfect lie can make it seem nearly unhittable. No sense in worrying about that when the 17 degree hybrid destroys it.

I've been tempted plenty of times to go pick one up, but the dilemma of what to shaft it with and which club to kick are too much, since my 17 degree is staying and my 3 iron is too useful off the deck to spare. The most likely choice would be a 17 degree head with the same length and exact same shaft as my 3 iron with the head weight also set to match the 3. I could consider playing it at 1/2 or 1 inch longer than the 3 but I don't think that would help much.

The only scenarios I could see carrying one like that would be if I were in a tournament and didn't trust my driving; I'd probably leave out either the 3 wood or driver slot.

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

I don't because I've never owned one but I go through spells where I hit long irons exceptionally well and during those spells I would use one if I had one (and even a 1 iron).

During one such spell a couple of years ago a friend asked me to hit a 1 iron he had in his bag and I hit it so well that I thought seriously about finding one.

My exceptional spell went away before I ever bought one so I never did.

so, i'm a bit bummed lol....  i went to pay for my new 2 iron today on ebay, and somehow it didnt show up in my account... messaged the seller and everything and he told me someone else snagged it before i did.. so idk what happened, but no 2 iron for me....... durrrrrrrrrrrrrr

oh well, i still have till late april untill i'll be hitting balls..

It is what it is

Well most new 3 irons are 2 iron lofts from about 15+ years ago :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I used one for a longer time was was inconsistent. My 3H is more reliable and goes about the same as it used to. I think if you are already playing one and it works, go for it. If you don't like hybrids, go for it. But I agree with an earlier poster, today's 3-irons are yesterday's 2-irons and the trend is towards hybrids now. My last two sets I haven't even gotta 3-iron. One because the manufactorer didn't include it in the set and the second by choice since it was a custom set. I'd rather take something off my hybrid than swing a 3-iron nowadays.

—Adam

OT, but I miss my 3i. Was great for punch shots that had to go a ways. I have never seen a 735CM 3i for sale. As for a 2i, I doubt I'd carry one.

Well most new 3 irons are 2 iron lofts from about 15+ years ago

Exactly, hitting a 3 iron off the tee these days is just as good as a 2. Some iron sets have them only 2-2.5 degrees stronger than 3 iron. Better off with a 5 wood for sure;

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

My younger brother does. Ever since he was 14, he could hit a hot, accurate  draw with a 2i. When we play in a scramble, he always launches one or two of those shots under the wind and onto the green at crucial times.

He shoots in the 90s when playing solo, but he can really smoke that 2i.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I thought we just covered this subject? I carry one regularly. Matches my set. I didn't take it out all last year.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I have played around with a 712U 2 iron, it's fun but I don't see it as a necessity.  I think a hybrid is more useful.  The only time I would hit the 2 iron is on holes where I need to find the fairway or hit.  Plus the hybrid is better out of the rough.

Titleist 913D2 9.5 (UST VTS 65)

Titleist 913F 15 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 913H 19 (Diamana S+)

Titleist 714 AP2 (4-PW) (DG XP-95)

Titleist Vokey SM5 (52,56,58) (DG XP-95)

Ping Anser 2 Classic

yea seeing a 735cm 3iron for sale is rare......  about on the same level as the 735cm 2 iron lol.... hence why i wanted to snag it lol..

Well after pulling out my clubs to look at my wedges ( new Vokeys )  cuz i was looking at buying some of the Older  Vokey Wedges ( another subject lol ) ,  I thought about my club set...

I usually only have my driver in the bag and then irons and wedges.....

But I put my 3wood back in the bag and figure it'll do more than what a 2 iron would..

But if i do run into a 735cm 2iron, i will totally snag it..  would make for a nice set if i ever decide to sell them.....

It is what it is

I have a RBZ 3 iron, which is actually a 2 iron by traditional loft standards (18°).      Fantastic club for tee shots on tight fairways & for punching out from under trees.     It's a little wild & finicky on fairway shots for me ... but when I catch it right, it's unbelievably long.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Nope, I have a 2 hybrid which I use sparingly.

In my  bag:

Driver, Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 9.5 stiff

3, 5 woods: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15,18 degrees Stiff

2 hybrid: Callaway Diable Edge Tour 18 degrees R (out when the 5 wood is in)

3,6 hybrids: Callaway Diablo Edge 21 S and 30 degrees R

4,5 hybrids: Callaway Razr X HL 24 and 27 degrees Stiff

7-AW irons: Callaway Razr HL graphite R shafts 

SW 54 Callaway X Series Jaws CC Slate Fujikura Graphite Stiff

Putter: Odessey White Ice 1 Blade Putter. 

Ball...looking for any ball that hates water, sand, long grass, and getting lost in the woods. 

I can't find any, so forced to use ones that seem to love all the above. 

Note: This thread is 3608 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!