IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

IMPO, he needs to get treated and let it rest until he is pain free with every motion. Avoid any aggravating movements and possibly skip the Masters. I know that will not happen but this is happening too frequent to not take it seriously.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMPO, he needs to get treated and let it rest until he is pain free with every motion. Avoid any aggravating movements and possibly skip the Masters. I know that will not happen but this is happening too frequent to not take it seriously.

For some people that is not an option. Look at Phil, he has to take medication now to get any semblance of normalcy. Especially with a back issue, it could be fine then just flare up. It might not ever be the the same again for him. I think somethings got to give though.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Yea Tiger was visibly uncomfortable. I don't think you fake that face. He is going to have to take some time to heal from this.

I would argue that you can fake a face i.e. grimacing, extra stretching, rubbing your own lower back etc. but you can't fake the swings that he was taking... I'm no expert but I watched Tiger take a couple of swings yesterday that weren't even close to his normal swing. *disclaimer: I still really don't like Tiger... but have to admit that he looks hurt and hope that he gets it figured out before the Masters, the Masters just has a different feel when he's in contention.

That may never happen.  I've had lower back trouble for 30 years.  No amount of therapy or medication has had a permanent effect.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

• Administrator

That may never happen.  I've had lower back trouble for 30 years.  No amount of therapy or medication has had a permanent effect.

And it might be something totally different than your kind of back trouble.

We don't know. I tweaked my neck once or twice. After a week or so, there are no more problems with it. Jim Furyk tweaked his neck during the FedExCup playoffs. Rory had back trouble himself a few years ago. Hasn't seemed to recur for either of them.

We don't know. It's speculation right now.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Sure, but Tiger's in better shape than most of the people who have posted here with back problems.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Sure, but Tiger's in better shape than most of the people who have posted here with back problems.

Probably but his job requires a lot more use of his back than most people who have posted here as well.

[QUOTE name="Valleygolfer" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-official-injury-thread/36#post_960927"]   IMPO, he needs to get treated and let it rest until he is pain free with every motion. Avoid any aggravating movements and possibly skip the Masters. I know that will not happen but this is happening too frequent to not take it seriously. [/QUOTE] That may never happen.  I've had lower back trouble for 30 years.  No amount of therapy or medication has had a permanent effect.

No one can gauge their injury with someone else's. There are too many variables and scenarios. A lot of factors affect working folk too. People medicate and continue to work and wear themselves out. I don't know your case but a lot of men wait too long to address their injuries professionally and band aid it via otcs until the problem overrides meds and becomes a constant issue. Plus I'm willing to bet you didn't utilize every modality out there, like Tiger could. [quote name="jamo" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-official-injury-thread/40_10#post_961101"][quote name="Fourputt" url="/t/72993/tiger-woods-official-injury-thread/30_30#post_961099"] That may never happen.  I've had lower back trouble for 30 years.  No amount of therapy or medication has had a permanent effect.  [/quote] Sure, but Tiger's in better shape than most of the people who have posted here with back problems.[/quote] Being in shape doesn't spare you from back issues at all. I am in rather excellent shape and still have back issues. I believe that a lot of food products okayed by the fda contributes to degenerative affects with joints. Not everyone but definitely a contributor to some. Plus just generalized stupidity with behavior of young men. I have done enough myself with poor form training in my 20's or being to macho to back off when hurt.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I can tell by how he takes steps that his back is killing him, he's going to have to cancel Arnies tournament and get better or at least good enough so it doesn't take him out of Augusta. I know he didn't want to but he should have withdrew yesterday all it did was put him further behind. Lastly if he has to make another swing change then it's going to be damn near impossible to catch Jacks record for majors, it really sucks that the majority of the uninformed golf spectator thinks this is the only defining measure of the greatest golfer of all time.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I can tell by how he takes steps that his back is killing him, he's going to have to cancel Arnies tournament and get better or at least good enough so it doesn't take him out of Augusta. I know he didn't want to but he should have withdrew yesterday all it did was put him further behind. Lastly if he has to make another swing change then it's going to be damn near impossible to catch Jacks record for majors, it really sucks that the majority of the uninformed golf spectator thinks this is the only defining measure of the greatest golfer of all time.

I don't believe it to be the ONLY thing, but it is measuring stick to greatness. jst like the statement of the best baseball team of all time, the measuring stick can be the most World Series wins. Is it perfect no, it's just how Americans are wired to make it so.

Being in shape doesn't spare you from back issues at all. I am in rather excellent shape and still have back issues.

Sure, but it helps. Tiger's back has a lot less to support than Kevin Stadler's does.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Nobody can relate to another person's injury (whatever it is). Nobody knows how an injury feels and how much effect it has on performance except the person that has the injury.

BTW. I've never had any kind of back pain or back injury (that's about the only part of my body I can say that about) but even on those days when my back is tired or stiff from work I can't play golf very well at all. My hat's off to anybody that can play at a fairly high level with actual back pain involved.

There are so many different types and causes of back pain that it is foolish to speculate what's wrong with Tiger's and what would help it.  I've got a weird condition in my back (diagnosed about 2 years ago) where the L-5 didn't form correctly in the womb.  Basically, the interior never calcified, so my L-5 has a crispy crust with a gooey center.  Sometimes I go months without any pain; other times I play 3 holes and am curled up in the fetal position on the 4th tee box and can't get out of bed for 2-3 days.  Aside from stretching, I've never found any correlation between the amount of golf I play and the frequency of the pain.

Tiger might have a similar problem where it's fine and then WHAM!  If that's the case, rest and therapy might not matter at all.

If I'm Tiger (meaning if he has something like the condition I do), I go to Bay Hill.  If at any point the back starts acting up, or I feel like I haven't had a good warm-up, I WD.  Same thing at the Masters, or any other tournament this year.

• Administrator

Won't work if "IT" is "getting older"?

And he had surgery on his left knee as a Stanford student .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets