IGNORED

Tiger Woods Master Catch-All Discussion

Valleygolfer

My take is that you will never see him again. There's just too much at stake here in the matter of his long-term health. After two back surgeries four years ago, I had to scale back my swing a lot just to be able to play. It's a much smaller game for me. No way I see Tiger being able to return to a professional swing.

• Upvote 1

I agree, he's probably done being a regular on tour, he can certainly rehab and do it, but the cost would be huge, does he need to risk something big like being able to walk? is he willing to? he's already at the point of some pain for the rest of his life, pro golf seems like a very bad idea.

2 hours ago, The Recreational Golfer said:

My take is that you will never see him again. There's just too much at stake here in the matter of his long-term health. After two back surgeries four years ago, I had to scale back my swing a lot just to be able to play. It's a much smaller game for me. No way I see Tiger being able to return to a professional swing.

Not saying you are right or you are wrong but I can appreciate your comment. His actions now are of someone who knows that his body may not be able to take the physical demands necessary to practice enough to be an elite golfer again. That it would take so much work just to get back to being a decent golfer with the risk being potential re-injury and/or additional surgeries. 

The risk may not be worth the reward.

Michael

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/5/2015 at 7:08 AM, Lakitu said:

I think, barring injuries, it's nearly a lock that Tiger wins at least one next season. Hell, he has a good shot at the World Challenge this year.

We can all look back now and see that your thoughts regarding Tiger at the Hero exhibition event were just wishful thinking. And I think you're also being quite optimistic about his chances in 2016. Your premise, of course, is based totally on your "barring injuries" reference, and there's absolutely no guarantee of that.    

7 hours ago, Pendragon said:

We can all look back now and see that your thoughts regarding Tiger at the Hero exhibition event were just wishful thinking. And I think you're also being quite optimistic about his chances in 2016. Your premise, of course, is based totally on your "barring injuries" reference, and there's absolutely no guarantee of that.    

That's a little harsh, isn't it? None of us had any idea that he was going to go through another major back surgery, so to call it 'wishful thinking' seems a little over the top.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Going by Tigers comments recently i get the impression he has realised time is not on his side anymore and he is quite rightly looking at alternative careers. I can see him designing more courses. 

Should he come back there are many back friendly swings out there (Don Trahan, CJ whats his name), hell, the way may back is at the moment I may have to join him (as long as he pays the fees and i just sponge off him :-D)

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Was that a cut? I think that was a cut swing. Yeah...

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

From pgatour.com:

Tiger Woods blog
He reflects on the past year and looks ahead to 2016

Several things stand out. Number one, you have to go back to my first major win, which was the Masters in 1997. How I did it, winning by 12 strokes, was so special. And then winning four-in-a-row and owning the Grand Slam, something no professional golfer has ever done. Third would probably be my 142-consecutive cuts-made streak. Consistency for a long period of time … there's a lot that goes into that. You have bad days, you have bad weeks, but to battle and endure and suck it up and get it done, I'm very proud of that one.

I think the biggest change on the PGA TOUR from when I started playing is the level of focus on day-in and day-out fitness. Now, we have trainers and sports psychologists that travel with the guys.

Also the technology. When I beat Davis Love III in a playoff at the Las Vegas Invitational in 1996, he had a 43-inch persimmon head driver. The transition to metal to where we are now with 460 cc drivers and 45-inch shafts being the norm, and the ball going from wound to solid construction … the technology has changed dramatically.

I had a conversation the other day with some of my friends who play golf. They're a little bit younger than me, but are amazed how much technology has changed. I said go back to when Arnold Palmer, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player and that generation of guys played. When they were in their prime and the end of their careers, technology never really changed except for the golf ball. It was always persimmon and steel. That was the reality. Now, some companies are asking guys to change equipment twice a year.

So he put his first Masters win above the Grand Slam, and then followed that up with his cut streak, imho which people don't give him enough credit for.

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 12/16/2015 at 5:50 AM, jbishop15 said:

That's a little harsh, isn't it? None of us had any idea that he was going to go through another major back surgery, so to call it 'wishful thinking' seems a little over the top.

Maybe my wording was a little off. But there are many who make these lofty predictions with no consideration given to reality. In Tiger's case, whatever he'll be able to do in 2016 is predicated totally on his ability to come back from his well-publicized injuries. He may not be able to play at all or he could came back and play great, maybe win a major or two. Who knows? But if I were a betting man, based on everything I've read to date about Tiger's health, the former seems more likely than the latter, or maybe somewhere in between. Tiger himself didn't sound too optimistic in his well-publicized interview with Time earlier this month.

McCabe: Tiger Woods defined dominant

Two of the 5 points below. I think the cuts made streak should be higher on the list.

1) In 2015, Spieth, Day, and McIlroy combined for 12 PGA Tour wins, three of them majors, in 57 starts. But in 2000, Woods had nine PGA Tour wins, three of them majors, all by himself — and in just 20 tournaments, no less.

2) At one point last season writers gushed because Day had a stretch in which he won four of six starts. Impressive, for sure. But perspective, please, because Woods at the end of 1999 and the beginning of 2000 won six consecutive PGA Tour starts.

Then at the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007, he won seven straight tournaments — eight, if you count the Target World Challenge.

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/dec/29/tiger-woods-dominant-spieth-day-mcilroy/

Steve

12 hours ago, nevets88 said:

McCabe: Tiger Woods defined dominant

Two of the 5 points below. I think the cuts made streak should be higher on the list.

http://golfweek.com/news/2015/dec/29/tiger-woods-dominant-spieth-day-mcilroy/

Thanks for the memories

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

Not sure of the legitimacy of this, but apparently Woods was seen practicing half-swings before sunrise today at the Bear's Club in Jupiter. I doubt this is real though. Can't seem to find any other sources.

http://www.clubupgolf.com/2015/12/30/tiger-woods-spied-practicing-before-sunrise/

Edited by tmac20

10 hours ago, tmac20 said:

Not sure of the legitimacy of this, but apparently Woods was seen practicing half-swings before sunrise today at the Bear's Club in Jupiter. I doubt this is real though. Can't seem to find any other sources.

http://www.clubupgolf.com/2015/12/30/tiger-woods-spied-practicing-before-sunrise/

Secret Tour Pro, IIRC, said something about Woods switching instructors (was sometime during the summer?) and it was not the case. Here's the photo and the tweet, there's not a lot of context in the photo it could be PS'd, who knows. Saw it yesterday and was hesitant to post it, way too speculative, but here it is if you want to see it. 

Steve

• Administrator

Well, that didn't last too long.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Why Tiger's Consecutive Rounds Streak Might Be Better Than Joe DiMaggio's [Golf.com]

Woods 89, 2nd place, O'Meara, 33.

From August 1999 through November 2000, Woods beat the field's average score in an astounding 89 consecutive PGA Tour tournament rounds. That is roughly three times the length of the streak posted by his nearest competitor. (Only official PGA Tour stroke-play events are counted for this streak, so the WGC-Match Play, for example, is not included.)

CXgNp21WcAA_1p-.jpg

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/tiger-woods-consecutive-rounds-streak-might-be-better-joe-dimaggios

Steve

Look alike swings:

Steve

He's got hands on a club. Small steps... :-P

Steve