IGNORED

Why do people lie so much about their distance?

Paiste
Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's a guy thing (mine is longer than yours syndrome ;-) ). I measured my driver distance recently for one round.   With good & bad ones combined, it averaged just over 210.   The "long" hitters I've seen hit about 250 on average.   I rarely see someone who averages > 270 yards.

No wonder women have no concept of scale. You wouldn't believe what my wife thinks 9 inches is! :-D

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really thank it is important to hit it longer and that is why most people say they hit it so far.  The bottom line is that the male pecking order is about distance, nobody cares about scores unless you are porfessional.  I would rather hit it 330+ (I do) and shoot 72, than hit is 270 and shoot a 69.  so if I hit it farther than you that shows my maleness and i can dominate you by being more alpha.  If you don't understand me than I can tell you are a short hitter and I garantee that I hit it way farther than ANYONE on here

I really thank it is important to hit it longer and that is why most people say they hit it so far.  The bottom line is that the male pecking order is about distance, nobody cares about scores unless you are porfessional.  I would rather hit it 330+ (I do) and shoot 72, than hit is 270 and shoot a 69.  so if I hit it farther than you that shows my maleness and i can dominate you by being more alpha.  If you don't understand me than I can tell you are a short hitter and I garantee that I hit it way farther than ANYONE on here

The only way I can remotely get a ball out 330+ yards is to use a potato cannon modified for golf balls :-$

If we ever get in a teeing contest with each other I will be sure to use it, too. :smartass:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

It's a guy thing (mine is longer than yours syndrome ).

I measured my driver distance recently for one round.   With good & bad ones combined, it averaged just over 210.   The "long" hitters I've seen hit about 250 on average.   I rarely see someone who averages > 270 yards.

No wonder women have no concept of scale. You wouldn't believe what my wife thinks 9 inches is!

LOL.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Not bad @Gilberg , but not quite up to your normal standards.

-Matt-

"does it still count as a hit fairway if it is the next one over"

DRIVER-Callaway FTiz__3 WOOD-Nike SQ Dymo 15__HYBRIDS-3,4,5 Adams__IRONS-6-PW Adams__WEDGES-50,55,60 Wilson Harmonized__PUTTER-Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II

Well i think where it all goes wrong is they claim there best shots to be average.

I'm a decent ball striker but if i hit a PW 160 most likely i hit it thin.

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

Well i think where it all goes wrong is they claim there best shots to be average.

I'm a decent ball striker but if i hit a PW 160 most likely i hit it thin.

Come to think of it, I, too, hit PW 160, more often than I intended :-D .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Come to think of it, I, too, hit PW 160, more often than I intended .

Well I can top that, literally. Try a 120 yard 60° from ~70 out. That was impressive, and right in front of a "focus and concentration" training seminar. As I play my second shot from within 10 yards of the club house and in front of them while mumbling some expletives... Made for TV stuff right there. :beer:

Well I can top that, literally. Try a 120 yard 60° from ~70 out. That was impressive, and right in front of a "focus and concentration" training seminar. As I play my second shot from within 10 yards of the club house and in front of them while mumbling some expletives... Made for TV stuff right there.

My son couldn't estimate the distance to the pin, and picked an 8i rather than a 52 or PW. He ended up by the clubhouse, too. :-$

I used a PW and came up 3 yards short from roughly the same distance, the distances are really hard to estimate on those slopes and I had the GPS. :whistle:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My son couldn't estimate the distance to the pin, and picked an 8i rather than a 52 or PW. He ended up by the clubhouse, too.

I used a PW and came up 3 yards short from roughly the same distance, the distances are really hard to estimate on those slopes and I had the GPS.

Ha! Yeah, I absolutely caught that ball so thin the ball never went more than 20 feet high (or so it seemed that way). Though, I have done something similar to you as well where I totally misjudged the lay of the land and clubbed down a few too many. I've landed in the parking lot at local course many times. It's a blind green and I'm usually a 7i out. The parking lot is directly behind the green (genius course design). Thank god the 2-3 times that I have done it there have not been any cars parked by the green. Most people usually stay away. You can tell who the first-timers are for sure when they park there lol.

Well I can top that, literally. Try a 120 yard 60° from ~70 out. That was impressive, and right in front of a "focus and concentration" training seminar. As I play my second shot from within 10 yards of the club house and in front of them while mumbling some expletives... Made for TV stuff right there.

We were playing Llanerch outside of Philly one day (1958 PGA was there; first one that wasn't match play) and their 18th green is just feet away from a patio in the clubhouse. It was a Friday evening and the patio was filled with people and my buddy boned a wedge from about 70 yards into the patio. People were diving for cover like it was incoming. I guess they were used to it because he got a big round of applause. :dance::dance::dance:

Bill M

I guess it's just a way of flexing you muscle some way to measure yourself against other golfer. I use to be concerned allot about distance. But now I almost take the famous stance in cadyshack "how do you measure yourself against other holders? My height." No I am not as concerned with distance as I am accuracy and consistency if you can hit the ball strait all the time even if it's somewhat short but know about where it will land that's more impressive than a big hitter in my book. I am concerned about distance only to the point where I can cover enough distance to par or birdie the hole past that it's all ego in my book.

Ha! Yeah, I absolutely caught that ball so thin the ball never went more than 20 feet high (or so it seemed that way). Though, I have done something similar to you as well where I totally misjudged the lay of the land and clubbed down a few too many. I've landed in the parking lot at local course many times. It's a blind green and I'm usually a 7i out. The parking lot is directly behind the green (genius course design). Thank god the 2-3 times that I have done it there have not been any cars parked by the green. Most people usually stay away. You can tell who the first-timers are for sure when they park there lol.

Yeah, I've learned  quickly where to park my car on couple of courses.   Their parking lot is next to 18th green.

I guess they were used to it because he got a big round of applause.

Just behind my home course's 18th green is a cafeteria with outdoor seating.   If you make a good approach shot, the lunch crowd will applaud.   No applause for a bad shot - they know their golf :-D .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I like where this tread is going!

Near my home town we have a small 9 hole course.

no.6 is a par 4 367 yards dog leg right. tree's down the right and

you can guess the parking. with a good drive you can go over the

trees straight to the green, i think i broke a window ones. :-O

Dirver: Mizuno JPX 825 9,5 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 65 g.
3 wood: Mizuno JPX 825 14 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 75 g.
Hybrid: Mizuno JPX 825 18 Fujikura Orochi Red Eye Stiff 85 g. 
Irons: Mizuno MP 59 3 / PW KBS Tour stiff shaft ( Golf Pride Niion )
Wedges: Taylormade ATV Wedges 52 and 58 ( Golf Pride Niion )
putter: Taylormade ghost series 770 35 inch ( Super Stroke slim 3.0 )
Balls: Taylormade TP 5

I played in a tournament once where I skulled a gap wedge over the green and into a greenside bunker 30 yards past my intended green. There was a group putting out on that hole, and they originally got mad thinking the group behind them was hitting into them. Of course it would be too lucky to follow up a terrible shot with a great one, so I fatter the bunker shot just barely out of the bunker before pitching it on. I also had a similar shot go in exactly the opposite manner for me. After topping a tee shot to the ladies tee on a par 5, I pulled my 3-h to just hit it in the fairway. I blocked it , turning away in disgust. I heard a shout from one of my playing partners and looked to see the ball bounce for a second time off of a winding cart path on the right. After two cart path bounces the ball ended up in perfect position for an approach shot, just right of the fairway and about 100 yards out. Does this mean I can tell everyone that I hit my 3-h 280 yards?

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to take the forum off topic or help it in that direction. Somebody should open a thread in regards to accidental shots/mishaps that we can all share.

Let's get back to the 'Why do people lie about their distances?' topic. Thanks!

I do think stories like we've heard in the last few posts are somewhat relevant to the topic though. Somebody really de-lofts a 7i, or catches it slightly thin and thinks that 180 yard 7i is a repeatable capability, rather than an accidental anomaly.

Why do they lie about distance (especially driver distance)?  Same reason as men do a lot of stupid things, testosterone poisoning of course.

Butch

Note: This thread is 3645 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!