IGNORED

2014 NHL Playoffs

tmac20
Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

And an advantage for faceoffs. The away team has to put their stick on the ice before the home team.

I knew the rule to be correct, but I had my doubts that it made much of a difference, so I did a little research.  Turns out you were correct. http://hockeymetrics.net/home-ice-advantage/

:beer:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
I knew the rule to be correct, but I had my doubts that it made much of a difference, so I did a little research.  Turns out you were correct.  http://hockeymetrics.net/home-ice-advantage/

That lists it as a true but negligible advantage.

I recommend sports fans all read Scorecasting. It makes the case that in all sports, as I said, it's largely due to the refs. Sometimes the scheduling of games is an effect as well. He focuses on basketball IIRC, but then talks about soccer and the stoppage time allowed, and other sports too.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That lists it as a true but negligible advantage. I recommend sports fans all read Scorecasting. It makes the case that in all sports, as I said, it's largely due to the refs. Sometimes the scheduling of games is an effect as well. He focuses on basketball IIRC, but then talks about soccer and the stoppage time allowed, and other sports too.

I looked up the data on that, and it says referees call 6% more penalties on the opposing team in the NHL. (http://www.arcticicehockey.com/2009/11/30/1173912/referee-homer-bias) Couple that with a 20% powerplay percentage and the home team scores 1.2% more goals from refereeing. There must be other factors that can't be backed up by statistics, such as the ability to sleep in your own bed, play in a familiar arena, and gain momentum from the home crowd.

So I just realized that I did the bracket challenge on nhl.com a while back, and I have a chance to come out of round one with all of my picks being correct (except series lengths). The rest of my picks are pretty damn bold though. :bugout:

• Upvote 1

So I just realized that I did the bracket challenge on nhl.com a while back, and I have a chance to come out of round one with all of my picks being correct (except series lengths). The rest of my picks are pretty damn bold though.

I like the way you think! ;-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

So I just realized that I did the bracket challenge on nhl.com a while back, and I have a chance to come out of round one with all of my picks being correct (except series lengths). The rest of my picks are pretty damn bold though.

Bold indeed, at least in the Eastern Conference. I give the Rangers a better chance over Pittsburgh (assuming they get by Philly) than I do for the Habs beating the Bruins. I realize they beat the Bruins 3 out of 4, but the playoffs are a different animal (see Detroit series). I just don't see where Montreal has any advantages over the Bruins.

As for the Rangers, I can see them getting by Pittsburgh. Lundqvist could be the difference maker in that series. Fleury is okay, but not as good as Lundqvist.

I like the way you think!

Lol, for some reason I like Montreal this year. Vanek and Brière fit in well there.

As for the Anaheim pick... Basically just a guess. I figured the winners of the other series would all be beat up physically.

Bold indeed, at least in the Eastern Conference. I give the Rangers a better chance over Pittsburgh (assuming they get by Philly) than I do for the Habs beating the Bruins. I realize they beat the Bruins 3 out of 4, but the playoffs are a different animal (see Detroit series). I just don't see where Montreal has any advantages over the Bruins.

As for the Rangers, I can see them getting by Pittsburgh. Lundqvist could be the difference maker in that series. Fleury is okay, but not as good as Lundqvist.

I don't like picking chalk. Montreal is the faster team; whether their speed can overpower the Bruins' tough game is up to debate.

I don't like picking chalk. Montreal is the faster team; whether their speed can overpower the Bruins' tough game is up to debate.

Their speed advantage is way overstated. This isn't the old Bruins. They have plenty of speed. And everyone said the same thing about Detroit.

Lol, for some reason I like Montreal this year. Vanek and Brière fit in well there.

As for the Anaheim pick... Basically just a guess. I figured the winners of the other series would all be beat up physically.

Montréal's only hope is to play a fast paced transition game and wait for Lurch and Mongo to start losing their shit. That's how Montréal beats Boston, they get in their head, if OTOH Montréal gets sucked into Boston's style of play...toast.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Their speed advantage is way overstated. This isn't the old Bruins. They have plenty of speed. And everyone said the same thing about Detroit.

I don't think it's overstated at all. The Bruins don't play a fast game, they play a physical game and win all battles for the puck. They just wear the other team out. If Montreal plays a really fast game, Boston is going to get caught and start taking a lot of penalties. And like @Ernest Jones said, Montreal can really get into Boston's head. Subban is a pain to play against; he'll draw a lot of penalties for the Bruins.

I don't think it's overstated at all. The Bruins don't play a fast game, they play a physical game and win all battles for the puck. They just wear the other team out. If Montreal plays a really fast game, Boston is going to get caught and start taking a lot of penalties. And like @Ernest Jones said, Montreal can really get into Boston's head. Subban is a pain to play against; he'll draw a lot of penalties for the Bruins.

Not playing a speed game is very different from not having speed. The Bruins have plenty of speed. Marchand, Paille, Smith, Krug, etc can all skate with anyone on the Habs. That's the difference between the Bruins and everyone else, they can play any style you want and still beat you. There really isn't a "bad matchup" for them, as the Detroit series showed.

Not playing a speed game is very different from not having speed. The Bruins have plenty of speed. Marchand, Paille, Smith, Krug, etc can all skate with anyone on the Habs. That's the difference between the Bruins and everyone else, they can play any style you want and still beat you. There really isn't a "bad matchup" for them, as the Detroit series showed.

Nah I disagree, if they played a speed game with Montreal they would lose. If they played a speed game with Detroit they would lose. But they won't and they didn't. They play a physical game, and it works well in the playoffs when combined with a hot goalie. On a side note, I have a perfect bracket going! :-)

Holy Wild! Best hockey game I have ever seen. I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Niño! Niño! Niño!

:banana:

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

Looks like the Rangers are coming to town on Friday. We need to play better then we did in the CBJ series. Let's go Pens!

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Big fan of @boogielicious but I'm looking forward to pooping in his Cheerios come round 2!

Hey @boogielicious , hope you enjoyed that first serving of Cheerios. :banana: You guys must hate Subban sooooo bad!!! Lol :-$

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Note: This thread is 3604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!