IGNORED

If you could not play golf, would you care at all?

joekelly
Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think there's a certain point where the sport becomes irrelevant and we watch the story. If some guy wins 3/4 majors for the year and is gunning for the 4th in golf or tennis, you bet I'll be watching the final even if I couldn't play golf. If California Chrome is racing for the Triple Crown, the Chicago Cubs is playing a game to win the World Series, I'll watch. I especially will go out of my way to watch the super underdog.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'd follow it but probably not as closely as I do today. I don't watch the Golf Channel the entire week after I've had a bad round so golf, unlike other sports, may be a little different for me. If I couldn't play golf anymore? Probably wouldn't put a bullet in the brain pan but would not enjoy my life as much -- this is what I do for fun, period. Really don't have other hobbies anymore, other than watching my daughter tear it up on the volleyball court (actually skipped a couple golf tournaments this year in favor of that - never thought that would happen.) Hope I answered the right questions ;-)

In my Bag: Driver: Titelist 913 D3 9.5 deg. 3W: TaylorMade RBZ 14.5 3H: TaylorMade RBZ 18.5 4I - SW: TaylorMade R7 TP LW: Titelist Vokey 60 Putter: Odyssey 2-Ball

If I were paralyzed or in some way couldn't ever play golf again ... I would still watch it on TV.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

It's funny you ask this, I just thought about it the other day. I watch some hockey because I used to play, I watch MMA because I used to train for years, and I watch golf because I currently play. If I wasn't playing golf I'd probably still watch the majors, but not much more than that.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

I would still be interested in golf and watch at least majors and some women's and seniors golf on television. I had seen some golf on TV at a young age, but when I started playing at about 13 I got more interested. I am not a huge sports fan in general. I like college football probably better than any other non-golf sport. I will watch an occasional professional baseball, football, or basketball game-maybe not a whole game. I will watch the Superbowl kickoff to finish. I watch as much of the Masters, US Open, and Open Championship as work and other responsibilities allow. If I could, I would watch probably every minute of those tournaments. The week to week tournaments I will watch a bit, more so if someone that interests me is in contention. I grew up in a rural area, and didn't play neighborhood football, basketball, or baseball. I liked baseball, but didn't play much. I was hooked from the first on golf, because I could do it by myself. I wasn't anti-social or anything, but just shooting hoops or throwing a baseball up in the air and catching it was boring. Golf was the first sport that I had a personal desire to get better at. After all these years of playing and watching, if I for some reason was unable to play anymore, I would still watch.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

There were only a few years where I played regularly and I seldom play any more, but I follow the pros.  I watch the majors and at least a handful of other tournaments (like The Players this past weekend).  I watch the LPGA sometimes and I've followed The Big Break for a few years.  I didn't always think so, but golf is good TV unless someone is really running away with the tournament.

I used to love tennis, tennis fiend, but my body can't take the pounding. I occasionally watch a major final, get asked to go to a major final - usually turn it down. It's bittersweet but you never really complete sever the connection.

I also watch golf swing on tv, rather than golf drama. It's the pedagogy of the swing that interests me, plus golf courses (intersects with travel and photography interests), but equipment, personalities, rulings, rankings, Ryder Cup, cigars, clothing, etc... not as interested.

Same here.  Tennis pro thirty years ago.  Stopped teaching at twenty six.  The few years I was playing hard destroyed my knees and ankles.  "Bittersweet" is precisely the word.  I don't watch a single match.  Don't even know who is playing now.  Golf is all I can handle.  I could not play tennis any longer and just could not watch it as well.  I guess the same would be true for golf, even

I used to love tennis, tennis fiend, but my body can't take the pounding. I occasionally watch a major final, get asked to go to a major final - usually turn it down. It's bittersweet but you never really complete sever the connection.

I also watch golf swing on tv, rather than golf drama. It's the pedagogy of the swing that interests me, plus golf courses (intersects with travel and photography interests), but equipment, personalities, rulings, rankings, Ryder Cup, cigars, clothing, etc... not as interested.

"Bittersweet" is the perfect word.  Ten hour days for ten years til I reached my tennis goals.  Body broken down now and I no longer even teach.  And I don't watch a single match.  I can't watch things I can no longer do.  It depresses me.

Golf is all I have now.  I do watch the Golf Channel regularly.  If I could not play then I probably would not watch.  Bad attitude, I know, but that's just me.

At least no matter how broken down and decrepit I become I will always be able to compete in macaroni art if worse comes to worse.  Hopefully.

I only watch golf when I'm not able to be on the course actually playing. I do make it a point to watch every minute of each major that I possibly can. Aside from that though, I will usually only watch golf if nothing else interesting is on, if I'm not able to be on the course, or if players that I like are in contention on Sunday.

I did watch golf before I started playing.  I just like to see competitions whether it's something I play or not.  Having said that, it is really different thing I was watching back then and now because obviously now I "know" how to play the game :whistle: .  I now watch vertical ball flights, draw/fade, pin locations, green undulation, address, club selection, putting strokes, etc.  Millions of information that was not visible before now I can related to them.  Also appreciate how easy they make it look.  I always want to go out and play after watching since I get all hyped up with images, etc.  Such energy usually vaporizes after first tee!! :cry: Yesterday, I was watching Players for the last few holes.  It was fantastic to watch struggle, recovery, good drives.

If the question is, would I still watch and follow professional golf even if I couldn't play myself, the answer is YES. I watch a bunch of sports that I no longer play .

. The difference with golf though, is that we do still play it. We not only play it, the game becomes a large, enjoyable part of our lives. If I couldn't play anymore, I'm not sure I'd be able to still watch others play.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

. The difference with golf though, is that we do still play it. We not only play it, the game becomes a large, enjoyable part of our lives. If I couldn't play anymore, I'm not sure I'd be able to still watch others play.

The guys I watch on TV have a game that bears no resemblance to mine. That's one of the reasons that I watch them!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

The guys I watch on TV have a game that bears no resemblance to mine. That's one of the reasons that I watch them!

They show me how the game is supposed to be played, rather than how I play it.

I know I wouldn't watch the regular tour events, but would probably watch the majors, especially The Masters and the British Open.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I like to think I would, as I watched golf prior to actually picking up the game for myself.  However, if I did not play regularly, my interest in the sport at a higher level would be significantly decreased.

My main reasoning with the difference in interest is the appreciation for the difficulty of the game and how high a level the pros actually play at. When you play the game, and you see a pro stick it within 5 feet from the rough 180 yards away, you sit in awe at the amazing feat that just occurred.  If you do not play and see the same thing, you will probably shrug it off and same "Hm, nice shot. I wonder if the Yankees are playing...."

I barely watch any golf now.  This year I watched the Masters maybe 1 hour each on Saturday and Sunday, and that's always been one of my favorites.  I would rather play than watch, and if I couldn't play I probably wouldn't watch much either.  I don't really have a "guy" to root for right now, and I generally need that sort of inspiration to watch almost any sports.  Except for a couple of the Denver pro teams (Rockies and Broncos), I'm not a sports junkie - I don't watch just because there's something being televised.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I really dont care who wins as it is. When i do have a tournament on its usually in conjunction with me doing something else.

I would watch a the Majors ... but would lose interest I am afraid ... for me golf is going out with my buds, enjoying the banter, and a round of golf.

I am also afraid that watching golf would add to the depression of not being able to play with my friends and enjoy the game I love so much ...

Ken Proud member of the iSuk Golf Association ... Sponsored by roofing companies across the US, Canada, and the UK

Note: This thread is 3606 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!