IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not down on Kaymer, if anything I'd more like to see a couple people from the -3 pack have a great Saturday and pull even just to create a more interesting Sunday. It's not as fun when what you're watching seems like a run for second place, unless you're a big fan of the guy up front (I'm pretty neutral on the guy).

Yup. This. (Unless it were Tiger leading. In that case, the rest of the field could catch TB for all I care. :-P)

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In his short game book he described his college days of putting as banging the ball past the hole, then trying to make the 3 foot comeback putt. That seemed to be what was happening today, except those comeback putts weren't falling. It was hard to watch, and I hope he has better luck over the weekend.

He was switching his grip (traditional and claw) and having a really tough time with distance control.  In the beginning he seemed really concerned about leaving putts short and was rolling them 6' - 10' past the hole.  By the end of the round he was leaving them short and looked totally lost.

Joe Paradiso

He was switching his grip (traditional and claw) and having a really tough time with distance control.  In the beginning he seemed really concerned about leaving putts short and was rolling them 6' - 10' past the hole.  By the end of the round he was leaving them short and looked totally lost.

I would go nuts if I switched my grip mid-round, regardless of it even being a major or not. The fact that he was switching mid-round in a major is slightly concerning.

Give me five bucks and I'll edit it for you, Mike…

Sounds good. Something like,

"Got a good feeling about Martin Kaymer, think he's going to play really well, like record breaking stuff after the first two rounds."

I would go nuts if I switched my grip mid-round, regardless of it even being a major or not. The fact that he was switching mid-round in a major is slightly concerning.

He probably felt he couldn't putt any worse and wanted to give it a try.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Predictions for round three: [LIST] [*] Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12 [*] Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state [*] Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand. [*] Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player [*] Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes. [/LIST]

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

Predictions for round three: [LIST] [*] Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12 [*] Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state [*] Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand. [*] Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player [*] Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes. [/LIST]

Wait... Did you hear that? That's the sound of the door shutting as people realize, hey, it's a nice day, what the hell am I doing indoors?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

The only reason I don like Na being up in contention, or at least don't like watching it, is that the last time he was in this position I watched him back off the tee shot on a par 3 twice in a row.

I think they are using a masonry trowel to put Tilghman's make up on now...

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Course should start showing its teeth the next two days as long as it doesn't rain tonight. Drier air coming in and this should hopefully allow Pinehurst to get hard. Just not right seeing balls stick on this course.

Predictions for round three:

Kaymer will play at a slightly less stellar level than in the first two days, but stay in front at about -12

Kevin Na's play will slow to the point of immobility and he will be carried from the course in an apparently catatonic state

Mickelson will hit several greens in regulation, putt off the green into the bunkers then hole out from the sand.

Poulter will take the prize for worst-dressed player

Commentators will describe Jordan Speith as "the future of golf" at least once every 30 minutes.

I don't think Kaymer stays in double digits. In fact, I'll go on a limb and say very few people shoot under par today. While the course played identical to Congressional the first two rounds, it's going to play like Pinehurst should the last two. Dry conditions coming in, the breeze is picking up and they're maxing out the yardage today.....I think the USGA has said enough's enough and you'll finally start seeing this thing show its teeth today.

The rollers are out! USGA is gonna make those greens like putting on linoleum. Time to make thing course show its teeth.

:tmade: R1 Driver
:tmade: Burner 18.5 Wood
:tmade: Rocketballz 19 Rescue

:mizuno: MP-59 4-PW Irons
:cleveland: CG16 52, 56
:cleveland: Classic Mallet Putter

:bridgestone: e5 Ball

Pin positions on 1 & 2 today. Wow that's nasty.

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Pin positions on 1 & 2 today. Wow that's nasty.

High risk / reward for those that want to try to catch Kaymer today.  I'm sure a few will go flag hunting, like Phil.

Joe Paradiso

Golf Channel is already trying to do some damage control in case no one catches Kaymer today.

Joe Paradiso

Not to be a dick or anything, but a 78 from Kaymer today would restore my faith in the Open. :-D

Wouldn't even be the biggest swing in consecutive rounds we've ever seen in a major by a 18x-hole leader. On an unrelated note, the guy on Morning Drive just said that Gary Woodland believes he can be a top-5 player. Not sure if Woodland actually said that or not, but here we go if so.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Wouldn't even be the biggest swing in consecutive rounds we've ever seen in a major by a 18x-hole leader. On an unrelated note, the guy on Morning Drive just said that Gary Woodland believes he can be a top-5 player. Not sure if Woodland actually said that or not, but here we go if so.

With the exception of putting, chipping, ball striking, and driving accuracy, yeah Gary's Top Five

Riley

Note: This thread is 3246 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!