IGNORED

2014 U.S. Opens (Plural!) at Pinehurst #2 Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Unless he takes a total dump and Fowler or someone else plays lights out I don't see Kaymer not being the Champ this time tomorrow evening... He has played very well and actually made this tourney this far look easy

Fowler beat kaymer by 5 strokes today....just saying.

While Martin played great so far, I wouldn't mind seeing Ricky win the Open. Then again if Martin wins, it will be a well deserved win.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I hope Rickie or Compton can force a playoff

Are they still doing 18 hole playoffs? I can't remember if the USGA changed it or not, and I'm unsure how I'll feel if Tiger v Rocco is the final 18 hole playoff.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJH999

I hope Rickie or Compton can force a playoff

Are they still doing 18 hole playoffs? I can't remember if the USGA changed it or not, and I'm unsure how I'll feel if Tiger v Rocco is the final 18 hole playoff.

Yep, they're still doing the 18 hole playoff, and if it's still tied after 90 holes, it goes to sudden death.

Constantine

Fowler beat kaymer by 5 strokes today....just saying.

Kaymer beat Rickie by five strokes in round one and five strokes in round two. Kaymer didn't play nearly as well today as he did those days, and he was still nearly two full shots better than the field (72 v. 73.8).

There were only two under par round (Fowler and Compton), and only five even par rounds (Johnson, Stenson, Rose, Dubuisson, Mulroy).

Point is, even when Kaymer has played poorly, his poorly has been better than everyone else's poorly. If the course is more difficult tomorrow (which it prob will be) he still has a five shot lead. If he shoots two strokes better than the field, I can't imagine Fowler or Compton or anyone else making a serious charge.

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Kaymer beat Rickie by five strokes in round one and five strokes in round two. Kaymer didn't play nearly as well today as he did those days, and he was still nearly two full shots better than the field (72 v. 73.8).

There were only two under par round (Fowler and Compton), and only five even par rounds (Johnson, Stenson, Rose, Dubuisson, Mulroy).

Point is, even when Kaymer has played poorly, his poorly has been better than everyone else's poorly. If the course is more difficult tomorrow (which it prob will be) he still has a five shot lead. If he shoots two strokes better than the field, I can't imagine Fowler or Compton or anyone else making a serious charge.

If Kaymer plays the same as he did and Fowler and/or Compton play the same as they did then Kaymer loses. Personally, I'd rather see a good tight run or play off.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

We need more 18 hole playoffs in our lives! 6 years is far too long. If everything would have gone right, we could have had playoffs since Tiger V Rocco 2009:Duval shoulda avoided the Triple and bogey on 17 2010:French guy shoulda made his birdie 2011:I'm convinced YE Yang shoulda shot 59 on sunday 2012:McDowell badly missed,Furyk choked 2013:Mickelson shoulda holed out Not enough playoffs I tell ya

Riley

Anybody pick Kaymer to win in the driver contest? I know I picked him second but I also know it was a wasted pick because somebody else already had him second at the same score. (Whoops). :doh: I did look back before I picked but I missed it.

Anybody pick Kaymer to win in the driver contest? I know I picked him second but I also know it was a wasted pick because somebody else already had him second at the same score. (Whoops). :doh: I did look back before I picked but I missed it.

Nah but I'll win if Jim Furyk shoots 60--and gets help

Riley

I need Kaymer to collapse and Dustin Johnson to shoot 67; then all of my predictions would prove correct!

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

The big edge Kaymer has on Fowler is he's a closer. He closed at Sawgrass and at Whistling Straits. Fowler does not have a reputation of shooting good final rounds on the big stage.

Still, anything can happen tomorrow....like I said before, Goosen was the iceman who no one thought had any chance in the world of blowing a 3-shot lead the last time the Open was held here and look what happened. It'd be great for drama to see Kaymer back up some, but at the same time, the golf needs elite players to step up, and I do think Kaymer has that ability to be "elite". A second major at his age would be a good stepping stone in his career and good for the game.

The big edge Kaymer has on Fowler is he's a closer. He closed at Sawgrass and at Whistling Straits. Fowler does not have a reputation of shooting good final rounds on the big stage. Still, anything can happen tomorrow....like I said before, Goosen was the iceman who no one thought had any chance in the world of blowing a 3-shot lead the last time the Open was held here and look what happened. It'd be great for drama to see Kaymer back up some, but at the same time, the golf needs elite players to step up, and I do think Kaymer has that ability to be "elite". A second major at his age would be a good stepping stone in his career and good for the game.

Yeah but at Sawgrass he sure did make it interesting

Riley

I need Kaymer to collapse and Dustin Johnson to shoot 67; then all of my predictions would prove correct!

I only need Phil to shoot a 62, and have his -3 be the winning score & there will be a new driver in my bag.

Think about the media frenzy that would create (yeah, that isn't happening)

Players play, tough players win!

I think three of us picked him to win. ;-)

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Note: This thread is 3356 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!