IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

walked 18 tonight.  55/50 = 105

On the front 9, I had 3 consecutive 8's. Blah.

On the back 9, I played bogey golf for the first 6 holes. Then my back said, "enough with this shit" and I shot a 10 on 16. I played the last two holes +2, +1.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played 18 yesterday for 106 which was my best result at this course being +34.

I left my driver and hybrids out of the bag trying to break 100 "staying out of trouble".

I walked the course as no carts were available and I am not as fit and agile as id like - Garmin had it at 14km of walking and with undulations so I could really feel it which I feel affected my golf being tired. The 4 iron off the tee started to wither with the distance as I became more tired.

The last three holes I used my mates driver which helped me considerably. I think next round will include driver but no hybrids (if I end up in the trees from the driver I try and do the hero shot with the hybrid which ends up in tears more often than not)

I shot 108 yesterday, 54 on each nine holes. On the back nine, I shot 28 on the first six holes and 26 on the last three. I wasn't keeping track as I played, so I had no idea what my score was as I started the last three holes. I hit a couple OB and had a difficult time getting out of a greenside bunker on the last three. A couple of different decisions and I could have broken 100... Maybe I'll learn, probably not.

I played my first 18 holes today of the season.   Had plans to hit balls before the round but my partner arrived early.  I really struggled for my first five holes.   Ended up with 53 and 46 for a Gretzky!   I rattled off three straight pars to finish the round.  

I abonded my pitching wedge from 60 yards in and golfed all of my closer shots with my approach wedge after the fifth hole.  I was lucky and landed a lot of greens, but most of them left me with two or three putts to complete.  One thing that worked great was chipping with that approach wedge.   On those three pars I had nothing more than four feet to one putt for.  

Im very happy to break the 100 on my first 18.  It was hot as balls this afternoon and the mosquitoes were relentless.  

Corey

Played 18 this morning. 50/59 = 109

Last time I played, I walked the whole round and got tired at 16.  This time, I walked 9 (started before the pro shop opened) and rode 9.  My back stiffened up on the back 9.  I lost a few balls (I really like Snells, but I just wish I could hold onto them longer!)

I really need to figure out my 100 yards or less shots. I also just need to hit the practice range. Ah well, I'm having a lot of fun anyway.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

Had a decent front nine last weekend (for me, 52), with a major blowup on the first par 5. Figured I might just pull off <100 but the back nine was an entirely different experience. Pace was bad which didn't help. 

• I've got no control off the tee (might top, might go forever just in the wrong direction, etc), leading to...
  • trying too hard for heroic approach shots

Seem to have gotten my mind right around the green, though I started getting timid and leaving every putt short. 

Had enough good shots to not throw out the whole bag yet. Just need to start putting it all together. 😑

2 hours ago, Squid_350 said:

I've got no control off the tee

I was a bogey golfer and never broke 80 until I started seriously practiced my short game. This is what it taught me: to focus and concentrate on not only making good contact, but to direct the ball to the target. I found that if I can't take a 56* sand wedge from 20 to 30 yards out and make consistent contact and get the ball directed towards the hole, how could I ever expect to do this with a 7 iron from 150 yards?

By spending a couple of hours on a Saturday every couple of weeks just chipping and pitching short shots to a flag on a practice green I was able to learn to focus and concentrate. I would hit a couple of nice ones and then have a complete brain fart and hit it fat, thin or just way off line. I would then gather myself, focus and hit a decent one. It is amazing what some condensed concentration can do for making solid contact and directing a shot to a target.

On 02. maj 2018 at 1:03 PM, Killa said:

I did not break 50 on my first 9 holes this year but it was mainly because my yardage was off. I will break 90 this year (I did break 50 on 9 holes several times last year but my low score is 102 on 18).imageproxy.php?img=&key=26b180e008f40bf0

First hole I chunked my first shot and then took my 8 iron so I wouldn’t be long but managed to hit a flyer into a water hazard. 

Second hole is a long par 3 over a lake and if you fade it it’s gone. Naturally I faded my 5 iron.

Third hole is the toughest par 5 for me. 

After that I finally loosened up and hit +1 on my next 4 holes that included 2 birdie putts ending up on the lip of the holes.

And I actually got my 7 iron to backspin from 153 yards out on a par 3. 

Ok so I just played a very good round. FAAAAR from perfect, but very good nevertheless.

I shot a 44 on 9 holes, but the course par is 34 for 9 holes. So 10 over is still pretty decent. 

I had one OB shot, without that it'd be even better. Don't think this counts toward the breaking 90, but certainly the breaking 100. I think a goal that I set in my mind is reachable this year, provided I find the time to play enough tournaments. I want to finish this year with a hcp under 20.

Shot a 44. Was OK of the tee for the most part. Managed to put my second shot on the Par 5 18th on the green from ~ 215 with a 4H, uphill. It must have rolled 40 yards.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Guess who has two thumbs and shot 95 today... This guy!!! I shot 95 at Bartley Cavanaugh in Sacramento, and it was the first time I had played the course. I had 4 GIR, hit 4 fairways, and had 33 putts. Really stoked at how I’ve been playing lately. Also very happy with my lessons.

2 hours ago, amishboy51 said:

Congrats!

What have your lessons focused on?

My lessons have focused on getting rid of my slice. I had an outside in swing path and an open club face. My instructor gave me drills to correct my swing path, rotating my hands, tempo, and weight transfer. My new shot shape is a draw. My new problem is a straight pull with my driver. I’ll have my coach address that in the next lesson.

Edited by Sean_D

Really stunk it up today. 102 with 5 or 6 penalties. Opened up the round with a GIR and par and never really got back on track the rest of the round.

A big part of the problem was in trying to get more yards with the driver. As much of a disaster as that became, it was far from the only issue. Decent contact but very poor club face control.

My crappy putting (37 putts) reared it's ugly head after several promising rounds of improvement with that skill. There were a few from off the green I should have gotten closer as well.

Not sure how this season is going to work out, but so far, what had been strengths for the last few years are now weaknesses. GIR's have been impossible from any distance pretty much all year. Even when my scores are the same, golf just isn't as much fun when that part of the game is off.

Edited by JonMA1

Jon

18 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

Really stunk it up today. 102 with 5 or 6 penalties. Opened up the round with a GIR and par and never really got back on track the rest of the round.

A big part of the problem was in trying to get more yards with the driver. As much of a disaster as that became, it was far from the only issue. Decent contact but very poor club face control.

My crappy putting (37 putts) reared it's ugly head after several promising rounds of improvement with that skill. There were a few from off the green I should have gotten closer as well.

Not sure how this season is going to work out, but so far, what had been strengths for the last few years are now weaknesses. GIR's have been impossible from any distance pretty much all year. Even when my scores are the same, golf just isn't as much fun when that part of the game is off.

Yeah my 9 holes included 0 driver hits. 

I hit 5 x 3 wood which 1 was very good, 1 was ok, 2 were ok results (very high and 20% shorter but straight), 1 was horrible (OB). 

On the ninth I hit 2x 5 iron on a 360yard par 4 and hit the GIR and made par. 

104 today at Emerald Vale. I didn't record this with GameGolf, but I kept stats on the card. 

7 GIR

3 penalties

9 3-putts (45 putts total)

This was a good round to try and keep my composure. This has become a new goal for me. I'm going to have rounds like this, so I'd better get used to them. I did ok - only got pissed a couple of times, but c'mon, 45 putts? And I've been doing pretty well this year keeping it at 2 putts per hole or less. The greens were painfully slow, but after the first hole, there's no excuse. I just couldn't get the ball to roll any closer than 6' on anything - almost always short. It did become a bit of a comedy at some point.

Not sure how I hit 7 greens, and there were several nGIRs with at least 3 of those in green side bunkers. I didn't feel like my ball striking was very good (yeah, no shit Sherlock you shot a 104). Take away a few putts and I'm at my average so it is what it is.

The driver was pretty wild for most of the round as I had trouble controlling a slice. Finally slowed down and adjusted my followthrough to keep the flight to a slight fade, but that wasn't until the last few holes.

Other than the greens, I liked the way they had the course set up - very high and thick rough. I really had to think about the correct club to pull when hitting out of that stuff. From the 6,000 yard tees, this course is a perfect challenge for me. Driver and mid-iron on every par 4. Driver, 5w and iron or wedge on every par 5 (the par 5's kicked my ass today). Nice mix of long, mid and short par 3's. 

Jon

Played what felt like the worst round in ages today. Shot a 101. Had 93 on the beginning of the 18th but made the mistake of asking my playing partner what my score was. Of course I made a snowman on the last par 5. :) 

Had 43 or 44 putts. Horrible putting. 5-7x 3 putted (if you count putts from the fringe or near the green) and once actually 4 putted. 

I realized I have a lot of trouble with lies where the ball is below my feet. I loose my balance and it's really hard for me to get my weight forward. 

But this round (difficult course) was at least a hint that I can shoot in the low 90s this year, maybe even break 90 if I put a good round together, because when I got to the 18th hole I felt that my score will be in the 120s not almost breaking 100. 

I have not been practicing at all for the last 2 weeks when I shot 44 on 9 holes, so all in all I feel like there is a lot of progress from last year when I finished with a hcp of 31. 

Another 100+ round last weekend. Was playing deliberate bogey golf and actually was very happy with some putting and <100yard shots, but getting to the green is still more elusive than it should be. I blow up on par 5's thanks to that slice. :cry:

Note: This thread is 1348 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!