IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played the usual small course I play, now that the weather is nice..straightened my swing over winter...played both sides at +10..for a +20...not a bad outing for the 2nd time since last october...Chipping and putting isnt quite back where it should be yet..need a few more rounds to get my short game back to normal...I had no bad holes, really..just left some chips long and some putts short..that gets fixed with playing time..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played 18 on Friday: 52-54.  Since I'm out of shape and rarely play 18 at a time, my arms were getting tired by the end.  Lost two balls in the last 3 holes.  Otherwise, I was pretty happy with my score.  (I can't hit a driver to save my life, so low 50s is fine with me.)

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I hover around the 100 mark: best score ever 87, worst in last year 115. Have only broken 100 8 times (94 four weeks ago). My big problem is inconsistency: I make birdies and pars pretty regularly, but have 5-6 holes every round where I score zero points, which makes it hard to progress. My real bads are sometimes wild drives into woods/ob/water, topped long irons and pitches caught with the leading edge of the club which rocket over the green. I don't often hit mediocre shots, and feel that if I could get rid of the real mishits, I could make a really big step towards consistently playing under 100 ( as opposed to "breaking" 100 occasionally).

4 minutes ago, graham57 said:

I hover around the 100 mark: best score ever 87, worst in last year 115. Have only broken 100 8 times (94 four weeks ago). My big problem is inconsistency: I make birdies and pars pretty regularly, but have 5-6 holes every round where I score zero points, which makes it hard to progress. My real bads are sometimes wild drives into woods/ob/water, topped long irons and pitches caught with the leading edge of the club which rocket over the green. I don't often hit mediocre shots, and feel that if I could get rid of the real mishits, I could make a really big step towards consistently playing under 100 ( as opposed to "breaking" 100 occasionally).

I would work on fixing one item at a time..get consistant with that part of the game..for me, the short game was the easiest to get good at...and made the largest improvement..Once I fixed the small swing and methods, and could be near the hole with one chip or small pitch, all I had left to do was work on the long clubs...as Iacas said a while back in the blog post..you can cut your swing down to a slow controlled swing and keep the ball in front of you..it may not go as far, but it be more playable and get you on in 3, and a 2 put for a 1-over on most holes..I play that way because of hand surgery issues, and I play a 90-94 consistantly..2 longer shots, a pitch/chip, 2 putts..

I'm back at it again for 2017.  I did exactly NO work on my game over the winter and didn't swing a club a single time.  But I'm actually encouraged by my start to the season so far.  

My first 18 holes this year weren't a total disaster, considering my first swings in almost 7 months took place on the practice tee 10 minutes before I teed off.  I shot a 65 on the front, and 55 on the back.  I've played two more 9 hole rounds, shot a 55 and 51.  I'm very encouraged that I actually haven't forgotten any of the work I put in last summer improving my understanding of what swing mechanics are supposed to be, and all the "mental" reps i took over the winter seem to have actually helped those mechanics sink in.  

I've been very controlled with great tempo, and all my mishits are the exact same, and correctable on the course.  If i can keep getting in practice consistently this summer, I'm very hopeful that by the end of this summer, I'll be posting mainly in the "Breaking 90" thread.

I have a couple rounds planned for this holiday weekend, so hopefully im just as encouraged on Tuesday as I am right now.

Wanted to play 18 today but only had time for 9. Played on the course the first time. We have our club championship there next Sunday so I wanted to at least play there once before we have the tournament. 

Started bad as I was started as a single at 9:20 and the next couple was already hitting their tee shot at 9:25 even though they weren't supposed to start till 9:30. So I felt really rushed the frist couple of holes. And that resulted in a triple and a double on the first two holes.

Then I proceeded to shoot 3 pars 3 doubles and a triple to the end(triple was a forced driver where a 4 iron would be more than enough)

Shot a 49 with 4 penalty strokes (2x water, 1xOB). The course is pretty difficult, 139 from the whites and 131 from the yellows.

Highlight was my first par on a par 5  - hit my 5iron from the tee 225 yards downhill and had a bad lie (low tree in my way), punched it underneath with the 5 iron again about 100 yards and then a great fading 6i from about 160 out uphill. 2 putted for par.

When I get my lowest score wins I really think I could break 90(and before that 100 for an 18 hole round)   

Shot matching 53 scores on the front and back of my home course.  I really struggled to find my swing until the ninth hole on the front, then I ran into to penalty trouble on the tenth.  11-15 was straight bogeys, with the exception of 14, where I got a par.  14 has always been my bane on that course, and I was very pleased with the score, even though I whiffed on my tee shot.   Then I had fun blowing up my score with quads and triples to round out my day.  

Corey

Played 9 holes tonight and overall played very well.  Shot 42 for 8 holes.  On the ninth things went a little odd.  I hit a great tee shot and was only 125 from the green.  However, when I looked at my garmin it had not caught up to my walking and said 130 and I had a head-wind so I hit an 8-iron... and I hit it well.  The ball flew the green and landed in front of the tee of the next hole.  I didn't realize it was going so far so I didn't yell 'fore' though that's not an excuse.  When I went to look for my ball, I couldn't find it and assumed the twosome in front of me took it for hitting so close to them.  So I just dropped a ball and finished the hole.  After hitting my next tee shot, I found my original ball.

I caught up to the twosome and apologized for hitting so close to them and it had barely registered with them.  They're exact words were, "huh?  what?  Oh, that's cool."

Played the front 9 tonight.  Had my best start ever (on the front): Bogey - Par - Bogey

Two holes were total blow-ups and I didn't follow the rules or even finish them.  Otherwise, I carded 31 for the other 7 holes.  Bogey, Par, Bogey, <explode>, Bogey, Par, Bogey, <explode>, Triple

I've been using an 18-degree driving iron instead of a driver or three-wood and with the exception of the first explosion, I haven't been slicing OB.  The other explosion was recoverable but I hit an extra tee shot and used the second ball instead of the first.  Overall, the driving iron has really been working for me; I hit it as far or farther than my 3-wood and the mis-hits/slices/etc. are not nearly as detrimental.

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I'm the only one north of 100 these days. :cry:

Played 9 tonight and kept score on paper (i.e., not doinking around with Game Golf*).  DIdn't score great:  54 but had some good results with my driver.  Had a GIR with a 4 foot birdie putt... three putts later and I'm walking to the next hole.

* I really like Game Golf but I've lost about half the tags and don't want to manually tag clubs while I'm playing.

13 hours ago, krupa said:

Played 9 tonight and kept score on paper (i.e., not doinking around with Game Golf*).  DIdn't score great:  54 but had some good results with my driver.  Had a GIR with a 4 foot birdie putt... three putts later and I'm walking to the next hole.

* I really like Game Golf but I've lost about half the tags and don't want to manually tag clubs while I'm playing.

I have not kept an accurate score last few times I played. I am still shooting above 100. Try and Lee score this weekend and see how I do. 

44 minutes ago, Gator Hazard said:

I have not kept an accurate score last few times I played. I am still shooting above 100. Try and Lee score this weekend and see how I do. 

I'm hoping to get 18 consecutive holes this weekend.  I have a four-day weekend so I think it will be doable.

• Administrator
20 hours ago, krupa said:

Silicone glue… works wonders, folks.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 6/29/2017 at 7:41 PM, krupa said:

Nope. We're not going to let you have all the fun. :-D

After averaging in the upper 90's last year, I'm back up over 100 in 2017... and it isn't like I'm playing from the back tees.

It's been a nice change of pace though... almost liberating. I still practice and am trying to improve -  and I believe improvement will come by the end of summer - but I haven't been stressing about it. The full swing feels pretty good most days and I do enjoy hitting those irons cleanly, even if I can't score worth a damn once I'm on the green.

If there's any take-away from the last several years, it's that if working my tail off only gets me to the high 90's, what's the point? Life is too short to spend all my free time pissing into the wind. If I can't learn to play well, I can at least try and learn to enjoy the game I have.

Jon

4 hours ago, iacas said:

Silicone glue… works wonders, folks.

This is what I used.  It's not strictly "glue" which was probably my problem.

50 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

If I can't learn to play well, I can at least try and learn to enjoy the game I have.

I really enjoy the game most days.  The only time I get truly frustrated is when I hit the ball well for a week or more and then suddenly it disappears again.

caulk.jpg

I got out of work early and called my buddy up,weplayed this afternoon. I was rushing to get there and rushing to the tee. First drive on a par five, smacked right down right hand side of fairway. A single was on tee box behind us. Second shot was good but a bit right and lost in the trees. It got ugly from there. I kept rushing. Second tee hit my drive right. My punch shot popped up and hit tree and came back almost to me. Third got out but fourth was short. Guy passed us on two went to three but I was in that mentality of rushing still and shit four over on two I had a horrible first four holes, triple bogeyed par three number three. Wasugly so decided to not even keep score and just try to relax and have fun. Then, on four, I got a bogey. Five, a par on a par three. Six, a double bogey. Seven I got a bogey. Eight double bogey. Nine a long par five I parred for only second or third time (had a birdie chance too that lipped out!).

Back nine:  Ten I got a par. Eleven a par five was a double bogey. Twelve was a double bogey. Thirteen a par four my home hole I scrambled to save par. Fourteen I did something stupid, I tried to chip from second cut for third shot and skulled it to other side and wound up triple bogey. Fifteen, a long par three, I parred. Sixteen the signature hole, long par five had a great drive but to right hand side so it's 220 to carry water (lots of wind and started sprinkling) second shot played safe and hit it far left. Third shot went kerplunk in water. Fifth did the same(wheels came off). I didn't finish it. Seventeen, a 187 yard par three, I was pin high on right hand side rough. Nice chip but biffed the par, made bogey. 18, the rain was a coming hard, lightning in distance. Duffed my drive, approach hit fat. Third shot came up short of green. On in four (it's a or four), missed my put. Lightning cracked loud, we picked up our balls and got the hell out of there! 

It started out aweful, but then I seemed to get in a good rhythm for me and was playing some decent (for me) golf. My drives were above average for me, my chipping was a lot better, even my approach shots on were bette over all.  Although I didn't score, taking away a few holes,I felt I did pretty good for myself. I felt like, for once, I was improving again. 

Edited by Gator Hazard

• Administrator
45 minutes ago, krupa said:

This is what I used.  It's not strictly "glue" which was probably my problem.

I use this. Works fine.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/GORILLA-2-8-fl-oz-Silicone-Multipurpose-Adhesive/999980248

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

51 minutes ago, krupa said:

I really enjoy the game most days.  The only time I get truly frustrated is when I hit the ball well for a week or more and then suddenly it disappears again.

It's not like I never get frustrated. Regardless of how well one part of my game is going, another is going to insure a high score... nearly every round is like that. I've gotten to the point where I don't expect either to last very long. I enjoy the good part of my game that is on, while the parts that aren't provide the motivation to practice. And I have to say, there is something rewarding about working on a specific issue that brings a bad swing back from the depths of hell, even if I'm completely aware that in a few weeks it'll head right back. 

Every so often - say two or three rounds per year - the stars will align and all parts of my game are simultaneously a little better than normal. While it's extremely enjoyable to be in that moment, it isn't sustainable. 

Jon

Note: This thread is 1346 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!