IGNORED

Breaking Bad Club - A Thread for Golfers Trying to Break 100

Gipper
Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/13/2017 at 7:07 PM, JonMA1 said:

While there is certainly one or more areas that are a bit weaker than others, the biggest hurdle for me is consistency with each part of my game. That makes it hard to know which part needs the most work. I'm beginning to believe that improving on everything will help me break 100 more often.

13 hours ago, Hiway1tele said:

and the high 90's moreso...as you mentioned, its a consistant repeatable swing that is needed for a consistant game...when its not there, the game sucks...when its there, I play good...playing a short course hasnt

fixed anything for me...I hit the same lousy shots regardless...

11 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

With my DIY swing, I find that relatively decent golf fades in and out at maddening frequency.

My guess is that I got swing faults that I compensate for with varying degrees of success. At times, that has allowed me to break 90 on a tough course or challenge 80 on an easy course (like one of those 5,000 specials that I have near me). When my compensations go sideways, my score explodes.

I need to find out where my big faults are and I can't do it by myself. Lots of time has past and I can't do it alone.

Just some food for thought to everyone who thinks their swing is not consistent, because it might be consistent. Just not good.

8 hours ago, gregsandiego said:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you could play with one ball and not lose any of course your score would be better because shots into the water, out of bounds, in the trees etc are missing.

Isn't that almost like saying just hit straighter?

Or shorter and straighter. The combination of the two will force you to play from shorter tees  of course. That's the best way to put yourself closer to the green from any tee shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Just some food for thought to everyone who thinks their swing is not consistent, because it might be consistent. Just not good.

To clarify, I think my swing faults are very consistent. It's the compensations that I can't count on.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

To clarify, I think my swing faults are very consistent. It's the compensations that I can't count on.

This applies to everyone. Our swings are consistent, just not as good as good players.

I wouldn’t be surprised if you filmed yourself with both swings and said one Swing feels completely different than the other, but on video they look the same.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

8 hours ago, Lihu said:

I wouldn’t be surprised if you filmed yourself with both swings and said one Swing feels completely different than the other, but on video they look the same.

The big moves are similar but there are often variations when I go a while between recordings that are easy to spot. Haven't you made progress on a piece only to revert back?

8 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

This is closer to the truth. I make variations with my swing on a regular basis, but the faults always seem to creep back in. I believe it's why I can go through longish periods of decent ball striking (relative to my skill, of course) and then go through equally long periods of difficulty.

I don't really know what's going on anymore. There are faults that I see on every swing that I haven't addressed yet because of other priorities. I sometimes think that trying to fix something does more harm than good... that maybe learning to adapt and develop the compensations might be a better plan.

Jon

1 hour ago, JonMA1 said:

The big moves are similar but there are often variations when I go a while between recordings that are easy to spot. Haven't you made progress on a piece only to revert back?

This is closer to the truth. I make variations with my swing on a regular basis, but the faults always seem to creep back in. I believe it's why I can go through longish periods of decent ball striking (relative to my skill, of course) and then go through equally long periods of difficulty.

I don't really know what's going on anymore. There are faults that I see on every swing that I haven't addressed yet because of other priorities. I sometimes think that trying to fix something does more harm than good... that maybe learning to adapt and develop the compensations might be a better plan.

Of course, I've reverted back many times. Change doesn't come easy because we're consistent. @mcanadiens and you should read through the entire thread. Everyone thinks they are unique, but we all share a common trait. Most of us have bad repeatable swings. I have a bad repeatable swing. I posted in my swing thread.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

21 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Of course, I've reverted back many times. Change doesn't come easy because we're consistent. @mcanadiens and you should read through the entire thread.

I've read that thread many times @Lihu. Actually, @mcanadiens never once said his swing was inconsistent. He made a point of stating the opposite (pretty much agreeing with what that thread is all about). He stated his compensations were different.

29 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Everyone thinks they are unique

Not sure where this is coming from. Your point was that our swings never change. My point is that I can see differences in my recordings... major differences. Are there things I do repeatedly? Of course there are. But there are substantial differences as well.

Not sure what else to say. Not trying to be different, just stating a fact. 

Jon

5 minutes ago, Hiway1tele said:

Jon...

Come to Dallas, we will go play a round or two....

Well, you'd feel a lot better about your game if we did. :beer:

Jon

48 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

I've read that thread many times @Lihu. Actually, @mcanadiens never once said his swing was inconsistent. He made a point of stating the opposite (pretty much agreeing with what that thread is all about). He stated his compensations were different.

Yeah, I noticed you have many posts in that thread many times. The more things we learn playing, the worse we seem to get. Golf is hard TM.

We (as a group) have to accept that we need to change before we can. I just discovered something horrible in my game today, which left me wondering how I even play at all?

48 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

Not sure where this is coming from. Your point was that our swings never change. My point is that I can see differences in my recordings... major differences. Are there things I do repeatedly? Of course there are. But there are substantial differences as well.

Not sure what else to say. Not trying to be different, just stating a fact. 

I'm just saying that all of us bogey or worse suck at golf. With the help of a LM I just discovered that not only am I not striking solid, but I'm hitting fat (or whatever) at this point. I'd be happy if I could just hit the ball clean, and this isn't humility talking. It's having an LM telling me I suck, and it'll probably take substantial work to fix my issues.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

On 12/15/2017 at 7:22 AM, Lihu said:

Or shorter and straighter. The combination of the two will force you to play from shorter tees  of course. That's the best way to put yourself closer to the green from any tee shot.

OK I get you NOW. Shorter is the key word. I golf with a woman who never hits it long but usually does go straight. She hits a lot of pars.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

29 minutes ago, gregsandiego said:

OK I get you NOW. Shorter is the key word. I golf with a woman who never hits it long but usually does go straight. She hits a lot of pars.

Yeah, that's the key. Once you are used to hitting those pars as well, move back a tiny bit at a time. Doesn't even matter if there are "official" tees either, just a little bit at a time.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I need to return to this thread to get my 2018 kickstarted.  Last year I traveled over 110 days and did not get to play very often and only scored sub 100 twice.  

My travel will be much this year and I plan on getting to play much more consistently.  Inconsistent iron play and 3 putts are my nemesis and what I will be working on this year.  My goal is to be posting on the breaking 90's forum by the end of the season. 

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

The one thing I have learned about driving the ball of the tee is a slow back swing. If you go back to fast you will jerk the club and the results will not be very good. One thing you can do is go to the driving range and work out the kinks as it where. Good luck to all.

This thread gives me hope.

Best I have scored on 18 is 109, started golf six months ago.

Mostly play 9 holes, been struggling to break 50, best I have had was 53.

So many things to learn - but need course management and what club to chose.

6 hours ago, Mr Wolf said:

So many things to learn - but need course management and what club to chose.

Welcome to the forum @Mr Wolf.

You'll see a lot of reference to LSW or Lowest Score Wins. It's a book the owner of the site co-wrote. Among other things, the book is great when it comes to developing course management skills. 

Jon

I am not quite good enough to lose my membership in this group. But I did shoot a 98 today. Granted the course is only a par 68. But I’ll take any small favor I’m given.

I played the silver tees and I noticed that a lot of guys who were hitting a lot worse than me were playing from the blue tees.

• Upvote 1

Note: This thread is 1338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!