IGNORED

Food Thread

mvmac

Still going well @iacas?  Sometimes food can get a bit boring but we change things up as best we can.

We went to the beach a couple weeks back and I didn't blow it out carb-wise but I can guarantee I wasn't in keto at any point.  Surprisingly, I didn't put any weight on.  I've actually started to eat a bit more...trying to add muscle and I think i've limited calories a bit too much.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Just now, NCGolfer said:

Still going well @iacas?  Sometimes food can get a bit boring but we change things up as best we can.

It's definitely been pretty boring. A lot of the same things. But, so far, whatever. I've still managed to stay under 50g that I know of every day.

Like I said I try to stay under 40g, but I don't measure how many peas or green beans I eat, so that might take me from 39 to 44 or something some day.

I also haven't weighed myself. I have no idea how much weight I've lost.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's definitely been pretty boring. A lot of the same things. But, so far, whatever. I've still managed to stay under 50g that I know of every day.

Like I said I try to stay under 40g, but I don't measure how many peas or green beans I eat, so that might take me from 39 to 44 or something some day.

I also haven't weighed myself. I have no idea how much weight I've lost.

I'm still doing a lot of eggs in the morning with an occasional smoothie (yogurt, peanut butter, frozen banana and almond milk.)  For lunch, again, lots of low-carb wraps and salads.  Dinner we get some variety and are looking for new things to cook.

Notice any other benefits?  Sleep?  Energy?  I'm still on the fence on the intermittent fasting.  I really love the concept and benefits but it's not ideal if I'm trying to add any muscle from what I gather.  Kinda seems weird to load up on a couple thousand calories in a short time...but, hey, that's what our ancestors did.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

Have you had to tighten the ol' belt an extra notch?  That's as good as a scale.

Yeah. And my waist has never been big, so I've been surprised at that a bit.

1 minute ago, NCGolfer said:

I'm still doing a lot of eggs in the morning with an occasional smoothie (yogurt, peanut butter, frozen banana and almond milk.)  For lunch, again, lots of low-carb wraps and salads.  Dinner we get some variety and are looking for new things to cook.

What kind of yogurt? Just a plain greek vanilla or something? The banana has a decent amount of sugar, but you don't count ANY fruit sugars, really? That would help me out if true.

1 minute ago, NCGolfer said:

Notice any other benefits?  Sleep?  Energy?  I'm still on the fence on the intermittent fasting.  I really love the concept and benefits but it's not ideal if I'm trying to add any muscle from what I gather.  Kinda seems weird to load up on a couple thousand calories in a short time...but, hey, that's what our ancestors did.

No, not really. I've never had much of an issue sleeping, nor with energy.

I mostly eat twice a day - breakfast and dinner. With a little dark chocolate at about 7-8pm. So I basically do fast from ~7:30-5 every day, and then from 8-7:30 the next day.

Sometimes I have some almonds during the day or something, though.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

What kind of yogurt? Just a plain greek vanilla or something? The banana has a decent amount of sugar, but you don't count ANY fruit sugars, really? That would help me out if true.

Yup.  Plain greek.  Banana does have sugar but I only put in a 1/3 to half of one at most (frozen.)  Peanut butter has a small amount of carbs but I'd estimate that the smoothie I make is around 10 or so net carbs.  I try and keep breakfast around 10ish if I don't skip to fast through to lunch.

I do count those sugars.  Wife and I feel that if you're going to have sugar, better from a natural source rather than refined/added sugar.  I don't really track net carbs any more.  I just know what works in the structure of what we are eating.  Carbs from vegetables and fruits don't seem to affect me as much.  We are even eating sweet potatoes now...splitting one with some dinners.  I mostly just try to avoid breads (non-whole grain), rice/pasta/starch and desserts.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

21 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Yup.  Plain greek.  Banana does have sugar but I only put in a 1/3 to half of one at most (frozen.)  Peanut butter has a small amount of carbs but I'd estimate that the smoothie I make is around 10 or so net carbs.  I try and keep breakfast around 10ish if I don't skip to fast through to lunch.

I like greek yogurt over plain yogurt. It just has a bit more flavor to it. 

I like doing about 1/4-1/3 cup of blueberries, warm them up in the microwave (I buy the frozen kind), then add the yogurt and walnuts. Works well for an evening snack since I tend to eat lunch/dinner at 3:30 more often now. Its when I get hungry. 

22 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Carbs from vegetables and fruits don't seem to affect me as much.  We are even eating sweet potatoes now...splitting one with some dinners.  I mostly just try to avoid breads (non-whole grain), rice/pasta/starch and desserts.

Unless you eat bananas, you have to eat a ton of fruit to get a lot of carbs. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
27 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

Unless you eat bananas, you have to eat a ton of fruit to get a lot of carbs. 

carb_ranks_fruit_revised_b.jpg

I don't consider 27g of carbs "low carb." 🙂

Peruvian ceviche with shrimp, scallops and grouper. Such an easy, light, fresh lunch.

3DB4B683-3299-4998-8D38-ED2A80815679.jpeg

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 2 weeks later...

Reverse Sear Ribeye

393E33E2-6197-42AE-ABB4-4CD684BEA149.jpeg

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

So, I went to Five Guys today and got my burger in a lettuce wrap. First time. Was pretty good, and I’ll order more like this in the future.

A1C164DD-8FEF-48ED-9634-6CEE59618B79.jpeg

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

So, I went to Five Guys today and got my burger in a lettuce wrap. First time. Was pretty good, and I’ll order more like this in the future.

Hmm, might try that out... Though, it would be tough not to get fries. I really do like their fries 🙂

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, iacas said:

A1C164DD-8FEF-48ED-9634-6CEE59618B79.jpeg

My wife and I have gotten this several times in the past. You can go relatively low carb by skipping the fries and just getting the peanuts as your side (for free no less). However, as @saevel25indicates, those (cajun, for me) fries call my name!

A5B22A8F-18D4-4E7A-8227-EEEC051A270C.jpeg

breakfast for lunch! Cheese omelet with habanero taco sauce, sliced avocado and bacon. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

2 hours ago, saevel25 said:

A5B22A8F-18D4-4E7A-8227-EEEC051A270C.jpeg

breakfast for lunch! Cheese omelet with habanero taco sauce, sliced avocado and bacon. 

Brings back memories.  When I first did breakfast for dinner my son revolted.  Now he's 22 and does it himself.

Saevel... that looks pretty tasty.

• Administrator

Man, the erythritol in keto-friendly ice cream can make you feel a little loopy.