IGNORED

Kate Upton upset, but misinformed, about country club policy

mvmac
Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Wrong. Men can't play in women's league unless it's coed and vice versa. Unless you've been a member you just don't understand. This thread is a bad example because it turned out to be false. Typically these reserved times coincide with other reserved times. Using the Sat morning example that could also be the times reserved for women only at the pool or tennis courts. That's the advantage of belonging to a private club, exclusivity for certain activities.

Exactly, seems some people can't comprehend the concept.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am pissed I can't use the pool on women's day. Just sayin'

Dave :-)

i note you haven't addressed the question about whether it would be OK to discriminate against other minorities. Feel like telling me how you feel about that?

First you have to explain what exactly about the policy is discriminatory.  As I said at the beginning, there are 5 hours a week reserved for men, and 5 hours a week reserved for women.

It's all voted on in a club that is dominated by men, and of course, therefore, "everyone is happy". Everyone who is male, or knows better than to complain, anyway.

i note you haven't addressed the question about whether it would be OK to discriminate against other minorities. Feel like telling me how you feel about that?

I ignored it because this is a typical slippery slope argument.  My club doesn't discriminate against minorities and I have zero desire to get into a ridiculous "what if" discussion with someone who can't comprehend that people can compromise without shouting discrimination.

The facts are that the majority of our members that play golf are men, and the majority of our members that play tennis are women.  The majority of male golfers work during the week, the majority of female golfers don't work, so therefore the women's golf league is on Tuesdays and the men's golf league is scheduled for Saturday mornings so that the maximum number of people can participate.  I don't play tennis, so I don't know or care what the schedules are, but I'm pretty sure women get preferred times on the tennis courts because they represent the majority of the players.

Joe Paradiso

I am pissed I can't use the pool on women's day. Just sayin'

I live 2 miles from a Lucille Roberts and they won't let me join.....discrimination!!!!!!

Joe Paradiso

It is not my fault that you didn't express your opinion fully in your first post.. You just said that women can't play Saturday mornings and instead they can at in Tuesday mornings.. Go back and see your post.. If you had mentioned that there is a men's league on Saturday and women league in Tuesday you would have had a different reaction from my self at least as that is fair to me.. [quote name="Golfingdad" url="/t/75045/kate-upton-upset-but-misinformed-about-country-club-policy/30_10#post_1000347"]First you have to explain what exactly about the policy is discriminatory.  As I said at the beginning, there are 5 hours a week reserved for men, and 5 hours a week reserved for women. [/quote] This is what I am commenting on.. Depends on how it is reserved, if it is league play then no issue.. If it is not league play then it is discriminating by giving the men the prime time playing slot.. If you said 5 hours reserved for men in Tuesdays and 4 hours for women on Thursdays I would have no issue.. Although I still think that would be more fair than slotting the men league on Saturday and women's in Tuesday but since men outnumber the women then it is not like they have a choice right?

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

I live 2 miles from a Lucille Roberts and they won't let me join.....discrimination!!!!!!

Are you surprised. The crowd of dudes around the thigh machine would be suffocating.

Dave :-)

Note to self:

Step 1:  Tweet outrage about horrible policy that exists at Cypress Point CC

Step 2:  ????

Step 3:  Profit.

Seriously though, that may not be true about LACC, but it's true elsewhere.  My brother's club does not allow women until after noon on Saturdays, and they don't allow men until after noon on Tuesdays.

Tuesdays are for women.....  That's the way I remember it as a caddie, and that's the way it should be!

:-$

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Very true and I think we all concede that point.. That is why @chasm mentioned if the policy was to disallow black people would people feel the same way? Would you then also answer with hey they can go to another club that allows them to play?

Why stop there? Why not include women only competitions that most clubs have as things that must be stamped out! Clearly women's only competitions discriminate against men!!! Mailman

Mailman

Why stop there? Why not include women only competitions that most clubs have as things that must be stamped out! Clearly women's only competitions discriminate against men!!! Mailman

Hey I agree with you.. There is a joke I tell sometimes when we talk about women rights we say, the next time a burglar comes I to the house tell your wife that you stand for women rights and it is her turn to go chase the burglar out ;)

:adams: / :tmade: / :edel: / :aimpoint: / :ecco: / :bushnell: / :gamegolf: / 

Eyad

It's all voted on in a club that is dominated by men, and of course, therefore, "everyone is happy". Everyone who is male, or knows better than to complain, anyway.

I'm not even sure that women would vote against having a time slot just for them anyway. Maybe they like having a time when they can play without any men around.

I don't think that's the case with "other minorities" so that's not a valid comparison.

Private clubs have the right to make whatever rules they like... It's a "private" club. If anyone disagrees so much about the rules of a certain club... Then don't join the club! There are clubs for men only, clubs for women only, clubs for certain races only, clubs based on age requirements, clubs for certain religions only... ( and I'm referring to clubs in general, not just golf clubs ).

Her giant sweater kittens sometimes lessens the bloodflow to her brain which causes her to say stupid things.

Overall she's best seen and not heard,

Joe Paradiso

Her giant sweater kittens sometimes lessens the bloodflow to her brain which causes her to say stupid things.

I don't know if I'd call em "Giant" compared to some out there... ;-)

Forgive me if it's already been covered, but what is it they gain from having specified hours for men and women?

• Upvote 1

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strandly

I don't know if I'd call em "Giant" compared to some out there...

On her frame, yes

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Note: This thread is 3540 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!