Jump to content
iacas

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

699 posts / 116690 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

What do you guys think would be the right play on this hole at my home course off the tee?  Short par 4.  From tee to green, carry is probably 270ish to clear the water to the edge of the green poking out. I usually hit a hybrid and aim for the x and play a little draw away from the water, it leaves me about 130 to the hole, but if I crush it or pull it a bit, I go through the fairway and behind those 2 trees. Or if I push it, which I typically don't do, it brings water in to play.  I've driven the green in a scramble, but that's not really feasible for me playing my own ball because a little right or a little left is probably not going to carry far enough to be dry.  sucks to lay up much shorter.  guess this is probably one hole where I should actually chart out a decision map with multiple clubs.

That hole is a nasty little bugger. Would a 3W carry far enough where a miss left would clear the trees and still leave you a shorter approach? I'm thinking of hitting a big D to the left of the green between the bunkers and the trees. It appears there is not much danger over there on the other side of the cart path.

p.s. - GO CHIEFS!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

1 hour ago, CarlSpackler said:

What do you guys think would be the right play on this hole at my home course off the tee?  Short par 4.

Short Par 4 holes are always interesting and typically a risk/reward designed hole.
Since you indicate this is a home course hole, the hole may developed a few demons with potential of being disastrous on any given day.
The hole offers several options off the tee which may change under conditions throughout the season.
A key would be to have as many options in the bag for any given day.
The tee ball has to find turf which leaves a scoring club for the approach on short holes.

Other considerations would be how well your playing and how your swing feels on a given day? Confidence is a must when considering options.
Consider having multiple shot zones as opposed to limiting yourself to devoting to one zone.
Often aggressive play leads to higher scores.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Short Par 4 holes are always interesting and typically a risk/reward designed hole.
Since you indicate this is a home course hole, the hole may developed a few demons with potential of being disastrous on any given day.
The hole offers several options off the tee which may change under conditions throughout the season.
A key would be to have as many options in the bag for any given day.
The tee ball has to find turf which leaves a scoring club for the approach on short holes.

Other considerations would be how well your playing and how your swing feels on a given day? Confidence is a must when considering options.
Consider having multiple shot zones as opposed to limiting yourself to devoting to one zone.
Often aggressive play leads to higher scores.

That's weird. You quoted @Wanzo but it shows that you quoted me. ???

Anyway. I continued to look at the hole and wonder if the light green area that I thought was a bunker is actually a tee box for another hole. Perhaps the forward tees. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

but it shows that you quoted me. ???

I selected his comments from your quote rather than his OP is my guess.

Your always worth "quoting"   :-D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, CarlSpackler said:

That hole is a nasty little bugger. Would a 3W carry far enough where a miss left would clear the trees and still leave you a shorter approach? I'm thinking of hitting a big D to the left of the green between the bunkers and the trees. It appears there is not much danger over there on the other side of the cart path.

p.s. - GO CHIEFS!

Yeah now that you say that a 3w or driver is safe as long as it doesn't leak right and would be past the trees. And you are right, no bunker, that is another tee box.  Tough to have it end up in the fairway though with a driver. Probably depends how I'm hitting the clubs that given day. 

Im nervous for the chiefs but hope they can pull it off!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, Wanzo said:

Yeah now that you say that a 3w or driver is safe as long as it doesn't leak right and would be past the trees. And you are right, no bunker, that is another tee box.  Tough to have it end up in the fairway though with a driver. Probably depends how I'm hitting the clubs that given day. 

Im nervous for the chiefs but hope they can pull it off!!

The main thing to do is avoid the water. On that hole, it looks like it would cost S&D unless you really slice one in there. It is death. Driver seems to the best choice to take water out of play assuming you can regularly clear the hazard. Even if you are not in the fairway, you have a shorter shot into the green and it appears you don't need to clear any water from over there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/12/2017 at 1:10 PM, Wanzo said:

Capture.JPG

I think it was answered already, but hit driver or 3W long and left. So what if you're in the rough?

That's what I'd probably try to do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm re-reading the book after a year with it, and I'm happy to report that one of the feels described in chapter 5 really helped me find my stroke today. It's the best I've ever swung the club in the offseason. Who knows if it sticks, but the point is that the book is littered with little nuggets here and there that can really help if you come across them at the right time, and greatly boost the long term value of the book upon repeat readings. I've definitely benefitted from some of the high-level principles in the book over the past year, but because I had a very tumultuous year, I didn't have the time to really put into effect a lot of the great ideas the book presents. I'm hoping to be more meticulous and thoughtful about that this coming year. Thanks again for the great opus!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 hours ago, dkolo said:

I'm re-reading the book after a year with it, and I'm happy to report that one of the feels described in chapter 5 really helped me find my stroke today. It's the best I've ever swung the club in the offseason. Who knows if it sticks, but the point is that the book is littered with little nuggets here and there that can really help if you come across them at the right time, and greatly boost the long term value of the book upon repeat readings. I've definitely benefitted from some of the high-level principles in the book over the past year, but because I had a very tumultuous year, I didn't have the time to really put into effect a lot of the great ideas the book presents. I'm hoping to be more meticulous and thoughtful about that this coming year. Thanks again for the great opus!

And you're not going to tell us what that feel is? I'm waiting on the edge of my seat! :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just received my 2nd copy the other day, and am about to crack it open to brush up on the fundamentals.  I "lent" my original to my brother.  When I said lend, he took it as give! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 2/8/2017 at 8:22 AM, djfajt71 said:

I just received my 2nd copy the other day, and am about to crack it open to brush up on the fundamentals.  I "lent" my original to my brother.  When I said lend, he took it as give! 

At least it went to someone in your family. I loaned mine to the pro at our local course but one of his a-hole employees took it home. Neither of them works at the course any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, JonMA1 said:

At least it went to someone in your family. I loaned mine to the pro at our local course but one of his a-hole employees took it home. Neither of them works at the course any longer.

Do you need another? Or did you get another already?

You should…

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

Do you need another? Or did you get another already?

I will buy another copy. It's a great book.

That year it came out was probably my most enjoyable season. I read it while vacationing in the Upper Peninsula. The vacation was a total bust so my wife and I decided to head back a few days earlier than planned. We couldn't get home fast enough. For her, it was just be home, but I wanted to try and apply some of what I'd been reading. As soon as the car was unpacked I headed for the golf course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 hours ago, JonMA1 said:

At least it went to someone in your family. I loaned mine to the pro at our local course but one of his a-hole employees took it home. Neither of them works at the course any longer.

The dirty rat-bastard!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, djfajt71 said:

The dirty rat-bastard!!

Exactly! I've seen him since and called him out in it. I'm not much of a tough guy but there were a few expletives. He promised to bring it by my house but I knew that was bs as soon as he spoke it. 

Oh well. I'm ordering another copy this week. It's one of those books that can be read and re-read many times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Just ordered my copy today.  Really looking forward to reading this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

This book has been in my garden shed for the last 9 months... time to crack this gem open again for read number 3!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2019 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
  • Posts

    • KC to FL, then Springfield, MO to FL, twice a year for more than 20 years. Our key was to time it so we did not go through Atlanta at rush our, so our overnight going down was one of the first exits after Atlanta.  Coming back, same thing going the other way. Then, Atlanta got so bad that we don't ever go that way any more. Also 30 years ago I got a call on a Saturday morning that I needed to deliver a vehicle to Miami at 7:00 Monday morning.  Sure thing, I told them, easey  peasey. Not!
    • That's not true. I don't give absolute weight to "18 > 14" or 15 but it's a "valid argument." Just not one that sways me. There is, both theoretical and actually practical. At the same time, the odds of a strapping 25-year-old from Siberia becoming a world class golfer are also lower than from, say, Florida, so the practical is much lower than the theoretical. Yes. @klineka quoted an old post I made, and I was reminded of things like 49 players in Q-School and stuff like that. Stuff I'd looked up once but have long since forgotten since nobody's made a compelling (to me) argument in favor of Jack since.
    • Yup . . . "Too many golf courses completing for golfers." A general answer to some of the replies, to try to explain why we run our business the way we do . . . we are in a small regional tourist area that has become a hotbed of excellent golf courses.  Three of Golfweek's Top Ten in the State are here.  It is highly competitive between us and 6 other courses, and, frankly, the market is not big enough to keep all of them busy. "Running people off" would not be in our best interest.  We have as a last resort, but it's not high on our list.  "Running people off" would likely get us the reputation of "running people off." As I have said a few times, I prefer us being out there on the course, being encouraging, supportive, and diplomatic, and, when that does not work, to offer the victims of slow play a chance to come back and experience our #1 course under better conditions, at a discount. Turning Lemons into Lemonade. But, understanding my role, it's not my call, and will be what will be.
    • Unless you have figured out something that I haven't, which is certainly possible, there's no way to move a shot from one hole to another, without deleting it and adding a new one.  Getting it in the right spot is a bit iffy at that point.  I've had cases where it puts an entire hole one the next hole, and skips a hole entirely.  I have not seen any means to even add the missing hole, the round will claim to have 17 holes.  As I mentioned, it never did this before that update (that was in preparation for PRO, I believe).  It doesn't always happen, even on the same holes, it doesn't happen on all rounds on the same course.  It's a puzzler.  The part that disturbs me the most is that even a tiny amount of software intelligence would eliminated it most of the time.  If the previous shot was a putt on a green, and the next shot some other club from thirty yards off the green, it's probably a new hole.  If not, that mistake would be way easier to understand. It happens to me when I've tagged every shot.  I live with the results, and usually don't bother trying to edit it out.  If I want to see, I can see where the shots were taken, and I know the total.  It is frustrating when it shows my drive going back to the previous green, though. I could see that, but it doesn't seem to me what is happening in my case.  As something of a engineer geek, it just seems sloppy.
    • This is a completely separate discussion, but I'm not a big fan of South Carolina mustard-based BBQ sauce.  I'd suggest stopping in NC for some vinegar-based sauce on smoky pork BBQ. As for the drive, I routinely go from Northern Virginia as far as Rocky Mount in NC, and we see the wotrst backups consistently between Fredericksburg VA and Washington DC.  If you can avoid being southbound in the after-lunch hours, or northbound on Sunday afternoon, you'll usually avoid the worst of it.
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Andrew Jacks
      Andrew Jacks
      (35 years old)
    2. donnyrichardson
      donnyrichardson
      (30 years old)
    3. Olliesmucker
      Olliesmucker
      (53 years old)
    4. PATRICK WILSON
      PATRICK WILSON
      (70 years old)
    5. PHILIPNB
      PHILIPNB
      (68 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...