Jump to content
iacas

"Lowest Score Wins" by Barzeski and Wedzik

657 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I went over this years ago and don’t plan to again.

eBooks are easier to steal, people expect to pay significantly less even though costs are often the same through Kindle/iBooks, we wanted something people could easily highlight and take with them, loan, gift, etc.

I own a Kindle. Five actually. I buy a lot of eBooks.

We made the right call.

And you can buy a single copy internationally @skram.

Oh? That must have changed since I last looked - I'll check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Just now, skram said:

Oh? That must have changed since I last looked - I'll check it out.

It’s cheaper for both of you if you buy two copies with a friend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just finished reading LSW, and loved it. Can’t wait to practice and play using the concepts. Thank you for writing it!

I do have one question out of pure curiosity, however.

I may have simply missed it, and it seems clear that common sense dictates this, but: 

By which specific data measure(s) is GamePlanning a SV4 skill? 

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effect proved thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning. 

Is that simply because no data yet exists relating specifically to GamePlanning, since you guys invented it only a few years ago? Or perhaps because GamePlanning is a nebulous thing to measure?

I mean, it’s obvious that spending a third of the book on it, and assigning that level of value to it, that it’s arguably or certainly the most critical piece of the book. And I believe fully that you wouldn’t just decide that arbitrarily.

Common sense tells us that your scores will drop if you GamePlan properly. 

I guess I’m just curious about roughly or exactly how much you think (or know) one could expect to lower scores using GamePlanning alone, as compared to the other skills. 

I hope that makes sense, and please don’t take it as a criticism. I do have faith that it’s that important. I know you guys never put out junk. I’m just curious about what your feeling is or what data says about how much one may improve via GamePlanning specifically.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

I just finished reading LSW, and loved it. Can’t wait to practice and play using the concepts. Thank you for writing it!

I do have one question out of pure curiosity, however.

I may have simply missed it, and it seems clear that common sense dictates this, but: 

By which specific data measure(s) is GamePlanning a SV4 skill? 

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effect proved thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning. 

Is that simply because no data yet exists relating specifically to GamePlanning, since you guys invented it only a few years ago? Or perhaps because GamePlanning is a nebulous thing to measure?

I mean, it’s obvious that spending a third of the book on it, and assigning that level of value to it, that it’s arguably or certainly the most critical piece of the book. And I believe fully that you wouldn’t just decide that arbitrarily.

Common sense tells us that your scores will drop if you GamePlan properly. 

I guess I’m just curious about roughly or exactly how much you think (or know) one could expect to lower scores using GamePlanning alone, as compared to the other skills. 

I hope that makes sense, and please don’t take it as a criticism. I do have faith that it’s that important. I know you guys never put out junk. I’m just curious about what your feeling is or what data says about how much one may improve via GamePlanning specifically.

The proper understanding of decision maps and shot zones is gameplannong. Go determine your shot zones and apply them to your shots on the course and let it aid you in club selection, target selection, and overall round strategy. Also- Google maps is a great way to “gameplan” ahead of a round on a course you may not have played before or one that your not as familiar with as your home course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, sofingaw said:

I guess I’m just curious about roughly or exactly how much you think (or know) one could expect to lower scores using GamePlanning alone, as compared to the other skills. 

I hope that makes sense, and please don’t take it as a criticism. I do have faith that it’s that important. I know you guys never put out junk. I’m just curious about what your feeling is or what data says about how much one may improve via GamePlanning specifically.

GamePlanning is a SV4 skill. It is up there with Driving and Approach Shots.

Imagine you have a pin tucked way left on a green surrounded by water on the left half of the green. The golfer who doesn't know their shot zone and aims at the pin. They might have a 30% of hitting the green, and 60% chance of putting the ball in the water. If a golfer knows their shot zone and aims accordingly. They might have 50% of hitting the green, 40% chance of ending up in the rough, and only a 10% chance of hitting it into the water. 50% less likely to hit a shot into the water. These type of decisions can add up.

It could even come into play on a bunker shot. I played in Pinehurst about 2 weeks ago. I had a bunker shot where I aimed away from the pin. I knew that the odds of me hitting that perfect shot to keep it on the green was slim. Aiming away let me have slope to keep the ball on the green if I carried it too far. I ended up with about a 15 FT putt. That is better than knowing 75% of the time my ball would roll off the green. It's not fun to play tennis across a putting green.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just bought the book today.  Can't wait to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

13 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

I just bought the book today.  Can't wait to get it.

I think you will like it a lot. You will be able to really dial in your shot zones quickly since you own a launch monitor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, sofingaw said:

By which specific data measure(s) is GamePlanning a SV4 skill? 

I ask because I recall all other skills having a SCOR value, and specific data points associated with them, which clearly illustrated and in effect proved thier relative SV ratings. I didn’t notice this with GamePlanning. 

Is that simply because no data yet exists relating specifically to GamePlanning, since you guys invented it only a few years ago? Or perhaps because GamePlanning is a nebulous thing to measure?

The short answer: GamePlanning has a very high O-Value.

If we had to do it again, I'm not sure we'd list it, because it's not something you really have to "practice" very much… once you understand GamePlanning, you kinda own it. You shouldn't need to keep working on it.

The same is kinda true of Green Reading (particularly with AimPoint), too, but it's something you at least have to work on now and then.

Good question. I think you're the first to notice we didn't do the SCOR for GamePlanning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I finally got a copy ordered through thriftbooks. It's been on my wish list for about 6 months and as soon as I got the e-mail, I ordered it. Should have it by next week at some point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Bucki1968 said:

I finally got a copy ordered through thriftbooks. It's been on my wish list for about 6 months and as soon as I got the e-mail, I ordered it. Should have it by next week at some point.

Why wouldn’t you order it through us? How much could you have even saved versus waiting six months?

I mean, it “cost” me about six whole dollars, so it’s not about that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 hours ago, iacas said:

Why wouldn’t you order it through us? How much could you have even saved versus waiting six months?

I mean, it “cost” me about six whole dollars, so it’s not about that.

Well...I wasn't aware that I could order through TST. I read a lot of books (not just golf books) so when I find something I want to read, I add to the wish list on thrift books because I order books from them (because most books are pretty cheap with free shipping and I get a discount because I'm a teacher). I guess I just do so much business with them that I didn't even think to order it here. O:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

6 minutes ago, Bucki1968 said:

Well...I wasn't aware that I could order through TST.

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy/ - That's the second link (the first is http://lowestscorewins.com/) on Google: https://www.google.com/search?amp;q=lowest+score+wins

The rest of your post makes total sense. I just wondered. You didn't have to wait six months. 🙂 The thing too is that the book shows up used so rarely, despite having sold as many copies as we have, because people seem to want to keep their copies and refer back to them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

http://lowestscorewins.com/buy/ - That's the second link (the first is http://lowestscorewins.com/) on Google: https://www.google.com/search?amp;q=lowest+score+wins

The rest of your post makes total sense. I just wondered. You didn't have to wait six months. 🙂 The thing too is that the book shows up used so rarely, despite having sold as many copies as we have, because people seem to want to keep their copies and refer back to them.

I have mine marked up like my Thermo textbook. :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@iacas, I was watching Golftec videos today and they gave a shout out to their friends that wrote "Lowest Score Wins"

Aim for the center of the green

Golftec mentions Lowest Score Wins

Edited by dennyjones

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

It seems their instructional videos on the Golf Channel mimic your book.   

Yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • 2018 TST Partners

    PING Golf
    FlightScope Mevo
    More to come…
  • Posts

    • 72 last week at TPC Summerlin from the TPC tees (6400) in maybe one of the coldest conditions I've ever played in. 71 today back home, hit 15 greens. Missed four birdie putts within 5ft and got a bad break where I drove it into a bunker and it plugged in the lip (made bogey). Not bad for the range being closed and only getting to practice once this week and not much last week either. This was my drive on 15, and it wasn't like it was a high fade, solid medium flight draw.  
    • Yeah it was a dumb move PR wise to not be very generous with the bonus.  Can't really compare the usual rate with that week with Ortiz, completely different situations. John Wood is there for him every minute of every week, scouting the course beforehand, getting yardages, mapping greens and paying for his own travel. They can also act as emotional "support" and the good ones figure out when to give it and when to hold back. Ortiz is nowhere close to building up that "sweat equity" to earn 10%. If I was John Wood I would have been very insulted if my guy paid a temp caddy 120K.  
    • “How much should you pay?” questions tend to select responses. How much should you pay for a car? Obviously the guy who paid over a million for his McLaren doesn’t think everyone should; that’s the whole point of having one. Likewise, the guys with the $2k custom Scottys want something exclusive.   So it makes sense that most of the responses are $300 or less. If you just want to make putts, and know basically what you need in terms of length and style (mallet, blade, etc.), I don’t think you need to spend more than $100 on ebay. I’ve sold several perfectly serviceable and respectably branded putters for less.   Personally, I paid $350 for my Evnroll ER5, which I love. I like it so much that I’m going to spend even more for the black one when it becomes available. It was a subtle difference between the ER5 and my Ping Tyne ($189, I think), that it replaced. But given a choice, I’d choose the Evnroll every time. I can’t afford — and have no desire — to run with the big dogs when it comes to putters. And if I couldn’t afford a $350 putter, I think I’d do ok with any of the ones that I sold. But it’s a hobby, and it could be worse. I could be collecting large stationary engines.
    • If you have enough bounce you could have the 52 bent to 50. 10, 15 bucks perhaps.
    • 1. "5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge: Consistently practicing and posting my streak. Making it a habit to maintain my skills and level developed over the years. 2. Bogey Player: By end of 2019 play in Texas and score at least three games under 90. Focus areas:
      Develop better course management skills, game-strategy and focus on the long term development instead of thinking short term and how far I can hit today and how beautiful my swing does (not) look. (Note to self for Jan. 2020: Relax and enjoy the journey with a vision; do not rush just to win)
  • TST Blog Entries

  • Blog Entries

  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Beyersdoerfer
      Beyersdoerfer
      (21 years old)
    2. choppineapple
      choppineapple
      (35 years old)
    3. drewgolfer
      drewgolfer
      (33 years old)
    4. Inferno2ss
      Inferno2ss
      (49 years old)

×

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...