IGNORED

Is seeing a PGA Tour event in person worth it?

Moppy
Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was tempted to go myself - I just wanted to see Watson curve the ball - Bend it like Bubba! But too much sports telly on, so next time.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

We used to go to the International each year when it was played south of Denver. We try to go to the John Dear now that we live in Illinois. If you love golf you owe it to yourself to see the Pros in person. You will get a whole new perspective on just how good these guys are.

I still remember the first International I saw. Chip Beck hit what I thought was an impossible shot. Out of the rough, in the trees, a big fade, down hill over water onto the green. I don't know the exact yardage but I'm guessing maybe 225 yards or so. Before he hit it I told my wife he was nuts for trying it. Shows you what I know.

Anyway go to at least one event it's well worth it. I should also mention we saw the LPGA US Open at Cherry Hills. I was equally impressed with the talent the women displayed.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

I went to the Zurich this year, and, for me, what was incredibly was not just how they hit their shots.  That is obviously stunning, but there are some guys (Well, one guy) in my group who can hit it great.

What was amazing to me was how they dealt with the few bad shots they hit (And I saw some stinkers).  David Toms hit a hybrid off the short #8 hole and it was a disaster.  It was slightly fat, big slice, into a fairway bunker that shouldn't have been in play.  It looked like a weekend 11 capper shot.  Thing is, he didn't curse, swear, or break his club.  He shrugged, then hit a mid-iron to the center of the green and 2 putted for a par.  No hysteronics, no trying to convince everyone that he is better than that shot, just a totally calm "OK, now I need to make sure I make par".  How many of us would have gotten upset, tried to hit a hero shot, and ended up with a 6?  Quite a few (including me).

Kevin Stadler tried to lay up on the par 5 (5th or 6th hole), hit is layup shot into a fairway bunker and then cold-topped his wedge approach.  The ball was thin and shot up into a bunker near the green.  He calmly walked up, went through his routine, and blasted out to like 6 inches for his par.  Watney on the same hole chilli-dipped a chip shot into the bunker in front of him.  No big deal, blasted out, made a 4 footer for par.

The incredibly concentration and "reset button" - 'OK, that was bad, but how do i still make par' - was pretty incredible to watch.

Yeah, the ballflight and swing is pretty insane, but the thing you can really take back to your own game isn't the clubhead speed its the attitude.  That really changed my game for the better.

Always great to see professional golf live. If you just want to follow the tournament, TV golf is ok, but it greatly distorts distances and the elevation changes. Nothing beats "being there", even after you've seen it countless times on TV. The early rounds are fun; less crowded and better views, closer to the action. TV is heavily edited, so "being there" is much slower and more deliberate.

There is nothing like going to an actual PGA Tour event. I remember when the US Open was here at Olympic Club I spent way too much time at the range just watching guys warm up. Before I knew it I had been there over an hour.

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Yes, go. It's worth it to carve out a little time and visit a friend on his birthday.

I never thought I would attend a Champions tour event (Toshiba Classic) and a PGA event (Byron Nelson Invitationals). I was invited both times. They were really fun to watch.

The pros are, well, really good and you get to see that in person.

We're even planning a family outing to the Northern Trust this year, with some other First Tee families.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

The one thing that I remember from all of the TOUR events that I've been to is how very few hit it "great." I remember listening to a lot of them hit shots that sounded like a regular 10 handicap shot. There were very few that impressed me on the range and even more so on the course. They are very good players (obviously) but they aren't as good as people make it sound. They hit some pretty bad shots. It lowered my expectations considerably after being to my first event and when I go back to more events I leave after an hour maybe because to be honest it's not that entertaining to watch them mishit a bunch of shots on the range.

The only people I would follow are Bubba, Tiger, Woodland, and DJ. Those guys are impressive.

The one thing that I remember from all of the TOUR events that I've been to is how very few hit it "great." I remember listening to a lot of them hit shots that sounded like a regular 10 handicap shot. There were very few that impressed me on the range and even more so on the course. They are very good players (obviously) but they aren't as good as people make it sound. They hit some pretty bad shots. It lowered my expectations considerably after being to my first event and when I go back to more events I leave after an hour maybe because to be honest it's not that entertaining to watch them mishit a bunch of shots on the range.

The only people I would follow are Bubba, Tiger, Woodland, and DJ. Those guys are impressive.

You must play with a whole different breed of 10 hcps than I do!

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

You must play with a whole different breed of 10 hcps than I do!

No kidding. ;-)

When I went to the Tour Championship the most impressive thing was watching them stripe balls on the range. I only know a couple of guys that wouldn't have looked out of place if they had been out there with them (and one of them was a Nationwide Tour player).

The second most impressive thing was sitting behind tee boxes and imagining about where my typical drive would be if I was playing the hole, and then seeing those guys fly the ball over that spot.

Then I was surprised at the slopes on some of the greens. Much more than what it looked like when I saw those greens on TV.

I've been to a couple ... I haven't yet found the best way to do it.    I try to keep up with the players, but the crowd is filled with slow pokes, and I can't ever keep walking pace with a particular player.    It's really frustrating.     Next time I go, I'll probably just sit someplace and watch them come through - not sure if I like to watch them hit drives or hit approaches into the green - can't do both.   It's something every golfer should see once - their ball has a different sound off drivers than ours - it's amazing they can hit it that hard and still control it.     Honestly, I'd almost rather watch it on TV though - I have a hard time seeing a white ball in flight anyways .... becomes frustrating dealing with the crowds, hustling around people, and winding up with lousey vantage points.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Yup, followed him around for a little over an hour. He is a solid golfer who seems to find fairways. To be honest, it was more fun watching Bradley and Kuchar hit out from the woods to the green. Not sure who you watched, but I certainly did not get the same impression as you.

On the other hand you are listed as a "pro" handicap, so I would not expect you to be that much different from PGA players anyway.

EDIT: Just noticed your 10 HC comment, and agree with @David in FL and @MS256 .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I couldn't disagree more. I guess we all see things differently.

cubdog

Ross (aka cubdog)

Are you sure this was a tour event? I remember the sound of their shot being so darn crisp, and they were playing a different game than whatever nonsense I call golf. I'll alse echo comments from @MS256 , the slope on those greens were very interesting.

Nike Covert 2.0 10.5* with Fujikura Motore F3 Stiff Flex
Nike Covert 2.0 3 Wood 15* Kuro Kage X-stiff 71g
Nike Covert 2.0 21* 3 hybrid Kuro Kage X-stiff 85g
Nike VR Pro Combo CB 4--PW
Nike VR Pro forged 50, 56, 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

A few years ago I played Magnolia in Orlando. 2 weeks later I watched the pros play the same course.

Very cool and a real eye opener to see  pros play the same course.

A few years ago I played Magnolia in Orlando. 2 weeks later I watched the pros play the same course.

Agreed.  The most enjoyable tournaments I have attended were those where I had previously played the course:  Oakmont prior to the Women's open, and Oak Hill prior to the PGA.  It is very humbling to see the pros (even the women) routinely pull off shots I wouldn't even dream of attempting.

Also, most courses look nearly flat on TV due to the widespread use of telephoto lenses up on towers and cranes, but in reality many of them are quite hilly.  Oakmont, Oak Hill, Muirfield Village, and Mystic Rock (being the tour courses I am most familiar with) are all good examples of this.  At a tournament, I enjoy looking at the course almost as much as I enjoy watching the pros.

Marshall

The best time at a pro tournament:

• A tournament that comes to your town, or the town of a a friend
  • A tournament that goes to a non-major-metro area. In 2012, my wife and I went to the John Deere Classic in Silvis, IL. Silvis in in the Quad Cities area: Rock Island and Moline in Illinois, and Davenport and Bettendorf in Iowa. The whole region comes together to help out at the tournament. And, even though it's a mainline PGA tournament, we got motel rooms for less than $100 a night. AND, if you can stay an extra day or two, play the Arsenal Island Golf Club, located at the Rock Island Arsenal complex. Built about 1900, it's located on an island in the middle of the Mississippi River. A really cool classic course. http://www.arsenalislandgolf.com/

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Yes...and keep in mind they play from VERY DIFFERENT TEES......there are the 7000yd blue tees.....and then WAAAY back hidden from sight Tour Tees!  I've played the Disney courses too..

With that said, I used to attend the Memorial in the 1990s.  YES...it's definitely worth watching the best in the world play in person. You get a whole new perspective for good these guys really are!!...........and how bad we AM's are!!

I've been there for both practice rounds and on Sundays. IMO....both had their advantages.  The WED practice round is fun because you still get to see pro's hit amazing shots, but it's casual and the opportunity to interact with the players is a plus.

The key to enjoying the experience is to know the course and where to be.  We'd do both......follow players around the course, and "camp out" in our favorite areas.   One of my favorite places to hang at Jacks place was on the mounding behind 14 green.....We'd watch guys play into that sliver of green on the 14th.......and play up the par5 15th.............plus there are beer/food concessions sold close by and bathrooms too!!  HEHE   We also liked hanging by the green and watching players come up the par5 11th......we also had a nice view of the par3 12th green from this vantage point.

The fun part was being close up....and seeing the lie and shot at hand.  I know what I can do from that spot and the probably result, and then watching the pro play from that position gives a great perspective on how good they really are.  The way they scramble around the greens is amazing when seen in person.  I was also impressed how straight the ball flight is......most guys on full shots hit a 5' draw or fade.   Keep in mind, Bubba wasn't around in the 1990s when I was visiting the Memorial...LOL

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Note: This thread is 3583 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!