IGNORED

2014 Quicken Loans National Discussion Thread

mvmac
Note:Β This thread is 3589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Hey, as long as he's not sporting any of those World Cup I don't know what you call them, that's a good thing.

LOL ya those crazy looking mokawks died bright yellow. Seriously?

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5*Β 

3WD: Β Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons: Β Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2 Β 52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

If tiger is serious about contending in the British, he may wanna look into playing the greenbrier next week. He has a lot of work to do. Still nevertheless, great to see him back.

Im just glad that he's not grabbing his back after every shot. Tiger willl be fine, I mean did we really expect him to contend? :no:

Ron :nike: GOLF Embracing my Angry Black Male :mad:

Just check the thread title..... No, thought I had it right........

Sorry to bother but could anyone direct me to the thread discussing the other 119 guys playing in the tournament, preferable some of the ones who are actually playing well?

"Golf is all about Tiger......." - No it's not. The top 2 players in the world right now are Adam Scott and Henrik Stenson and trust me when I tell you that the Australian and Swedish golfing public care far more about them than about Tiger.

I'm not anti Tiger, in fact far from it, but this perpetual placing Tiger on a pedestal is not in fact good for the sport. Earlier in the thread it was touted that Tiger is sometimes seen to get preferential treatment with tee off times or even with playing partners. While I'm pretty sure this isn't Tiger's fault it's hardly good for the sport. Besides I seriously doubt he needs it.

In a similar way a well known American commentator on a European channel questioned the fact that the course appeared to be set up more for scoring for the final round when Martin Kaymer found himself well in front in the US Open. The commentator questioned if this would be the case if a US player had been leading. Not my words or implications, his.

As soon as you start trying to tilt the odds in favour of your player/players golf loses something. Be it chopping down all the rough because you assess your team are longer but less straight off the tee, or trying to give 'your boy' a good tee time. Golf loses the level playing field. Not in any way against Tiger, kind of hope he gets back on form, butΒ very anti this perpetual attempt to drive Tiger forward. If he does it himself all well and good. If he does it with preferential treatment it's totally andΒ utterly worthless.

I'll leave you to your discussion about Tiger - any chance of a mod changing the thread title?

Pete Iveson

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'll leave you to your discussion about Tiger - any chance of a mod changing the thread title?

Nah. If people want to talk about the other players, they would be. Nothing holding anyone back.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3Β |Β 15ΒΊ 3-Wood: Ping G410 |Β 17ΒΊ 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 |Β 19ΒΊ 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo |Β 54ΒΊ SW, 60ΒΊ LW: Titleist Vokey SM8Β |Β Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Please bring up the other guys playing. The only reason I'm watching right now is because I want to see Tiger. I know there are other people playing -- Jason Day and Jordan Spieth come immediately to mind, as does Ricky Barnes and Erik Compton. If it were Adam Scott making a return after over 100 days off, and Tiger wasn't playing, I wouldn't care. I have nothing against Henrik Stenson, but I'm not tuning in to see him either. I think the title's appropriate. This is about the Quicken Loans National, and there's one big feature to this tournament at the moment.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

Im just glad that he's not grabbing his back after every shot. Tiger willl be fine, I mean did we really expect him to contend? :no:

Exactly. I read reports of him looking a little gimpy after sitting down for awhile for press conference then getting up. In a way not making the cut is good for not stressing his back no?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Was that just a 5SK commercial?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:Β  Titleist 915D2.Β  4-wood:Β  Titleist 917F2.Β  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.Β  Another hybrid in here too.Β  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.Β  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter.Β 

I guess I was just throwing it out there. There's a lot of talk about golf being all about Tiger and I think anyone who thinks that is missing something. Most notably the rest of the world map. South Africa, Sweden, Australia, even us over in Blighty play the game now and then and even watch it occasionally. And it's not all about one bloke.

Pete Iveson

Was that just a 5SK commercial?

Did you hear Holy Moses?

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Did you hear Holy Moses?

I heard something like that. [quote name="Nosevi" url="/t/75388/2014-quicken-loans-national-discussion-thread/108#post_1012156"]And it's not all about one bloke.[/quote] It is to me. Again, please feel free to bring up and discuss the player(s) you care about. That's what I'm doing.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

Nah. If people want to talk about the other players, they would be. Nothing holding anyone back.

So, how bout that Ricky Barnes with the lead? Absolutely thrilling stuff, amirite?!

Riley

It is to me. Again, please feel free to bring up and discuss the player(s) you care about. That's what I'm doing.

That's fair mate. I guess as an 'outsider' I just don't get it. I don't think Tiger is faultless when it comes to the way he handles himself on the course, I don't think it's good for the game that he at least appears to get preferential treatment, I don't think it's a good example to my kids when he uses 'questionable' language or throws a tantrum when he hits a bad shot, and at the moment he's not really playing very good golf.

In short I don't get it.

Who would I watch on the leaderboard who does all of those things a whole heap better right now? Justin Rose would be one.

Pete Iveson

I heard something like that.

Probably it.

Steve

Simple question really - why?

Because Tiger means the world to me. His influence has made a significant positive difference in my life, in mental health, physical health, and overall enjoyment. The full details of this are well beyond the scope of this thread. Either way it means that while I like the other stories -- Erik Compton playing despite his heart issues, the beauty of the course, how fun Ricky Barnes seems to me, these aren't things I'd put on the TV on a Friday for.

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

So, on a non-Tiger note: something (a towel maybe?) was just advertised as being "chemical free." What the [redacted] is it made of then?

-- Michael | My swing!Β 

Just check the thread title..... No, thought I had it right........

Sorry to bother but could anyone direct me to the thread discussing the other 119 guys playing in the tournament, preferable some of the ones who are actually playing well?

Yet here you are, writing the longest post thus far on the subject. Tiger is popular and people like to discuss him. There is just no way around it and I don't see how complaining about it in this thread is going to help.

"Stop liking something! I want you to like this other thing!"

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot ProΒ | Callaway X-Utility 3iΒ | Mizuno MX-700 23ΒΊ | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15ΒΊ | Titleist 910 D2 9,5ΒΊ | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Note:Β This thread is 3589 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!