mvmac

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

280 posts / 122024 viewsLast Reply

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Both are fine. The red might be a little too far into the index finger, and the green might be a little too "flat" but that's being really picky. Basically, those two colored grips are almost the endpoints of the range of acceptable grips.

Thanks!  I'll do some more work on the grip since I can't get outside yet.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love this thread. I’ve been researching grip pretty have lately.  The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

CE327D54-2EA1-40BA-9175-90E7A8F4C92B.jpeg

9AC9FAD9-86DB-4C94-A83D-CEF4C580E008.jpeg

42767B65-68CF-43B4-836B-74FE7747B8CF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, J M Brown said:

The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

Top looks a little too palmy to me. My grip is closer to the bottom picture only with the club slightly more angled and not almost perpendicular to hand, with the grip crossing at the first knuckle of the pinkie and at the second knuckle of the index finger.

@Shindig check this out.

3 hours ago, J M Brown said:

I’ve been researching grip pretty have lately.  The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

I like the bottom pic.

mvmac 

How many knuckles are showing on your lead hand? Just curious.

On 4/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, mvmac said:

@Shindig check this out.

Sorry for my delay getting back to you.  I just did this and felt it instantly.  Hopefully I did it right, too -- I'll work on this and get back to you.  Thanks for the help!

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Do as Mike said or make the club vertical. Both do the same thing: create an angle between the grip and your forearm.

Will do.  

13 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

mvmac 

How many knuckles are showing on your lead hand? Just curious.

Two and a half when I look down from address.

On 4/18/2020 at 4:43 AM, mvmac said:

@Shindig check this out.

I like the bottom pic.

Thats the way i grip a club, to my side, find it much easier to get into a natural position and my anatomical snuffbox always sits on top of the grip when I grip it like that. 👍

Bad Grip

Grip runs too much up the palm. This is easy to get if you grip the club when it's on the ground.

bad1.jpg

If I close my hand around the grip across my palm, it looks like this:

bad2.jpg

Good Grip

Slightly diagonal across the base of the fingers.

good1.jpg

Curling just the fingers around looks a bit like this:

good2.jpg

Wrapping the top of my hand around sets the heel pad on TOP of the grip rather than getting squished against the side of it like in the "bad" photos above.

good3.jpg

If I turn my hand to look at the grip from a lower angle, you can see the fingers are kinda "perpendicular" to the grip, the heel pad is "scrunched up" and "sits" on top of the grip. Note: the actual "top" of the grip is slightly under my heel pad and around behind what you can see here:

good4.jpg