IGNORED

How to Grip a Golf Club, Commonalities of a Functional Golf Grip

mvmac

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

Both are fine. The red might be a little too far into the index finger, and the green might be a little too "flat" but that's being really picky. Basically, those two colored grips are almost the endpoints of the range of acceptable grips.

Thanks!  I'll do some more work on the grip since I can't get outside yet.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I love this thread. I’ve been researching grip pretty have lately.  The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

CE327D54-2EA1-40BA-9175-90E7A8F4C92B.jpeg

9AC9FAD9-86DB-4C94-A83D-CEF4C580E008.jpeg

42767B65-68CF-43B4-836B-74FE7747B8CF.jpeg

7 minutes ago, J M Brown said:

The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

Top looks a little too palmy to me. My grip is closer to the bottom picture only with the club slightly more angled and not almost perpendicular to hand, with the grip crossing at the first knuckle of the pinkie and at the second knuckle of the index finger.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

@Shindig check this out.

3 hours ago, J M Brown said:

I’ve been researching grip pretty have lately.  The top picture is where usually grip the club in my lead hand.  Would you consider that too palmy? The middle picture is where the club is in my lead hand.  Should I position it more towards the fingers like the bottom picture?

I like the bottom pic.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• Administrator

Do as Mike said or make the club vertical. Both do the same thing: create an angle between the grip and your forearm.

• Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 4/17/2020 at 8:43 PM, mvmac said:

@Shindig check this out.

Sorry for my delay getting back to you.  I just did this and felt it instantly.  Hopefully I did it right, too -- I'll work on this and get back to you.  Thanks for the help!

14 hours ago, iacas said:

Do as Mike said or make the club vertical. Both do the same thing: create an angle between the grip and your forearm.

Will do.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

13 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

mvmac 

How many knuckles are showing on your lead hand? Just curious.

Two and a half when I look down from address.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

On 4/18/2020 at 4:43 AM, mvmac said:

@Shindig check this out.

I like the bottom pic.

Thats the way i grip a club, to my side, find it much easier to get into a natural position and my anatomical snuffbox always sits on top of the grip when I grip it like that. 👍

• 1 month later...
  • Administrator

Bad Grip

Grip runs too much up the palm. This is easy to get if you grip the club when it's on the ground.

bad1.jpg

If I close my hand around the grip across my palm, it looks like this:

bad2.jpg

Good Grip

Slightly diagonal across the base of the fingers.

good1.jpg

Curling just the fingers around looks a bit like this:

good2.jpg

Wrapping the top of my hand around sets the heel pad on TOP of the grip rather than getting squished against the side of it like in the "bad" photos above.

good3.jpg

If I turn my hand to look at the grip from a lower angle, you can see the fingers are kinda "perpendicular" to the grip, the heel pad is "scrunched up" and "sits" on top of the grip. Note: the actual "top" of the grip is slightly under my heel pad and around behind what you can see here:

good4.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

I studied this discussion again as I developed a very strong grip with mixed results lately. After switching back to "neutral" as mvmac was demonstrating on the first page I kind of got back on track. Maybe switching from short to long thumb helped with that too.

By accident today on the driving range as I was checking on my grip, my right hand moved a bit "upwards", covering more of the left thumb so that the tip of the long left thumb peeked out a little bit. Hope you get the picture. Suddenly my wrists felt free and relaxed and I had the best shots ever. Anyone here with the same experience? A lot of times I read the phrase "stick with what works for you". This is definitely working and hopefully not just today. 

• 8 months later...
  • Administrator

I filmed this video today for people who "sit" the hand down on the grip, often with a bit shorter thumb than is maybe "best."

What do you think?

Note: I filmed this with the "FaceTime" camera, so I'm a righty, and wear my watch on my left wrist, but this will look like a lefty instructional video. :D

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well done Erik. Great angles to show what you’re doing. Thanks bud! And hey...you’re looking slim! 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

• 1 month later...

Great thread!

I've noticed that when I take a grip way more in the fingers (trying to use those images posted just above) that the very end of the grip (butt end) will slide across the heel pad as I swing back and forth. It doesn't feel secure.

It feels more secure when I use a long-thumb instead (basically bringing the base of the thumb where it meets the palm pretty much all the way down onto the club grip), but that feels odd because it feels like the "top half of my hand" is now way to the side, towards the middle of my body.

But maybe that's correct. Or maybe if it is correct, the grip isn't big enough. Need to try it at the range, I feel like I inevitably end up hooding the face when I take the grip so need to be more mindful of how I set up (maybe not in front of me like was mentioned).

Edited by sinik

• Administrator
52 minutes ago, sinik said:

Great thread!

I've noticed that when I take a grip way more in the fingers (trying to use those images posted just above) that the very end of the grip (butt end) will slide across the heel pad as I swing back and forth. It doesn't feel secure.

It feels more secure when I use a long-thumb instead (basically bringing the base of the thumb where it meets the palm pretty much all the way down onto the club grip), but that feels odd because it feels like the "top half of my hand" is now way to the side, towards the middle of my body.

But maybe that's correct. Or maybe if it is correct, the grip isn't big enough. Need to try it at the range, I feel like I inevitably end up hooding the face when I take the grip so need to be more mindful of how I set up (maybe not in front of me like was mentioned).

Did you see the video in post #282?

• Informative 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:58 PM, iacas said:

Did you see the video in post #282?

Yep, I try to mimic it and it’s really hard to maintain. Beginning to think my club grip, even though it’s standard, is too wide. I measure my pinky at 6 cm, and it just feels difficult to wrap my fingers around the grip without it inevitably sliding to my palm. I have large palms and short fingers. In trying to barely maintain the grip in the fingers, I end up gripping too firmly. This glove was brand new, one range session.

Maybe I need to try undersized grips.

2157B07E-3C0C-4CF7-9535-D75623C7A6E5.jpeg

2 hours ago, sinik said:

Yep, I try to mimic it and it’s really hard to maintain. Beginning to think my club grip, even though it’s standard, is too wide.

I had a similar issue - I just choke down on the grip maybe 1-1.5” where the diameter is a little smaller.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

It's also possible I'm holding it fine in the fingers but trying to overdo ('too much in the fingers') and that the way I'm hinging my wrists is just bad and that's what's causing the grip to move in my hand.

I'll try and film something today.